Notices

chronic pain and recovery

Old 08-08-2004, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

chronic pain and recovery

i am having a hard time with chronic pain right now. have a condition called carotidynea (inflamation of carotid arteries) and at times it can be very painful. originally doc was treating me with pain meds (vicodin and percs) but now says maybe prednisone and valium would be the way to go. i say no way to valium (i used to eat em like candy). problem is i don't want the pain meds either much to risky for me in recovery. any suggestions in dealing with pain in recovery would be appreciated. i have even considered acupunture but am not sure of cost etc.

this has been a big struggle for me for the past 4 years. need some words of advice

thanks to all
Old 08-08-2004, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

tc..it seems to me that percs, valium and vicodin don't TREAT anything. They are for the pain and the pain only. The prednisone treats inflamation.

I would get informed about treatment on my own and seek that out.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-08-2004, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Don't limit yourself to just one professional opinion... especially on a serious diagnosis as this. I suggest seeing another doctor... if possible. It never hurts to get a different view of the situation.
I wish you the best.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor!
My sponsor and his significant other both have chronic pain.They talk honestly with their sponsors and doctors!
Ask for some E,S,H from an addict who's been through this!Everything else is opinion,instead of experience!
ILS,
BuckJ
Old 08-10-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Arrow personal experience with chronic pain

I live with chronic pain, severe rheumatoid arthritis. Most mornings I feel as if I'd been hit by a truck the day before. I am graced with about 5-9 hours a day that I can function vertically. Having suffered enough pain to drive me to mental delirium I can relate.

Prednisone is a wonderful last choice as per severe inflammation. Prednisone also has its side effects and limitations for each individual in relation to its risk : benefit ratio. Though this drug can be one of the most potent in reducing inflammation it can also increase anxiety and produce edema or other forms of water retention. Increased anxiety may not mix well with circulatory disorders, for this reason it is important to have a solid doctor / client relationship. I eat prednisone like M&M's lol.

Next in respect to the inflammation is what’s commonly called NSAID's. Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs are those in the aspirin family, including but not limited to ibuprofen and naproxen. I take a large dose of Relafen myself. NSAID's can be taken in a high volume providing the stomach lining can handle them. Again, consult your doctor as to what level dosage is best for you.

Finally, third time lucky, analgesics can do wonders for pain. The most common and affordable is acetominophen or Tylenol. I get mine by the gallon jug from Costco, which is a Sams Club competitor. Tylenol does not treat the problem but addresses the symptom. Remember, pain is never meant to be eliminated but tolerated. An ample dose of a common analgesic coupled with an anti-inflammatory regiment seems to keep me from the need for further medication that could compromise my judgment and recovery.

All of these suggestions, I would hope, would first be discussed with an informed professional before self medicating. Yet one thing I've learned is, though I am not responsible for my disease I am responsible for my recovery. I am just as responsible as my doctor who practices on me. Together, with both of us informed, we can make the best decisions possible, just for today.

andyaddict
Los Angeles
Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

:toothache