Notices

Question?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question?

I have been clean since January. I am now in a drug and alcohol class. I have been using since I was 13.(crystal meth/cocaina) I am now 21. I am having panic attacks so bad some times I do not know what to do with my self. The docter put me on nerve pills . I feel like they make me crazy. Will this feeling ever go away???? Any Advice????
Old 08-10-2004, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jessie and welcome to Sober Recovery.
I was wondering if you have talked to your doctor about these panic attacks? It may be the medicine that is causing them. I am recovering from the same drugs you speak of, I don't get panic attacks, but I am very emotional. For so many years, I numbed all my feelings, and now they feel so intense at times. It is getting a little easier, through deep breathing, and saying the serenity prayer. Do you go to NA meetings? I have found a great many of people in the rooms of NA who understand what I'm going through, and tell me what they did to get through it. Things will get better, just don't pick up. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Sherry
Old 08-10-2004, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talk to your doctor, make sure he/she understands that you are an addict in recovery. If the pills are making you feel crazy, you need to be honest with the Dr. so they can help. I used to have panic attacks, and I was on meds that made me crazy and I talked to a doctor, now I take 1 anti-depressant a day, and I go to meetings, and do everything I am supposed to do so I don't go loopy again. If you can, try to get the booklet, "In Times of Illness" at an NA meeting, this helped me alot.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jessie. Great advice above - talk to your doctor about how the pills make you feel - you owe it to yourself to get the best start in recovery that you can. Medications can be changed and adjusted, but sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find the right one for you.

Namommy mentioned the pamphlet In Times of Illness and I'm posting a link to it below - hope it helps.

http://www.markelliot.com/naillness.html

Hugs!