Notices

Question about Drug Dreams

Old 07-28-2004, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Drug Dreams

I have had drug dreams from time to time just like I am sure most of us have. I have dreams in the past where I used and I could taste it and actually for a split second when I woke up ... it seemed like I could feel that split second high. I dream of smoking coke or crack normally. But lately my dreams never seem to involve me using. It is more me going out to cop or me being around people using. But again, I am never using.

My last two dreams were strange. One dream I spent the whole dream copping crack and having a hard time doing so. I was with the normal people in my dream that I would normally be out using with. And once I copped the **** I walked to the same place in the REAL house I would normally sit down and take my first hit. But I woke up before that happened. The next dream I was with a bunch of people that I was in rehab with. I met them at this hotel. They had all relapsed and I don't recall having any feelings about them relapsing but I knew I didn't want to relapse. And I spent the rest of the dream trying to get out of the hotel room. It was wierd because that part was like the Micheal Jackson Thriller video and the relapsing addicts were popping up everywhere trying to stop me. LOL OK ... I know it sounds strange.

My question is this. Is there any correlation between early dreams when I ALWAYS used and my latest dreams where it seems like I never use ... even though in some dreams I want to??? Even when I want to use in a dream ... I wake up before it happens. Anybody have any experience with this???

Albert R.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
chris addict

I kinda sounds like deep in your subcontious you are worried about relapsing and its coming out in your dreams now I seem to have relaps dreams every couple of months and I feel like its MY higher power I call god just giving me A reminder Of that horrible feeling I had that made me want to quit Becouse I always wake up saying thank god I didnt really use. Just try not to ponder on it to much just use it to your advantage love ya hereandnow
Old 07-28-2004, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey H&N
I agree with stud... it's a useful reminder...

I think dreams are a way that we process unfinished business that we probably don't want to deal with while conscious...
Old 07-28-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had some weird dreams like that.. Even one where I caught my sponsor and a whole bunch of the old timers in my old VW hippie bus getting high... I slid the door open and went "Hey WTF!" and they all laughed at me.. Then I woke up and after a few minutes I was laughing at how goofy that dream was.

I haven't had a using or copping or drug related dream in a loooong time. Eventuallly they go away.

The most recent weird dream I had was trying to keep the peace in a meeting at a treatment center that was being invaded by staff who had given us a hard time over lighting candles. t was originally a candlelight meeting but Staff told the trusted servants that it was a fire code violation. Nobody got rid of the candles and the following week the guy who showed up to set up didn't know and went through catching hell all over again.

Keep coming back, and talk about those dreams no matter how weird they may seem.

Nobody ever relapsed from something that happened while they were sleeping.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hereandnow
I have had drug dreams from time to time just like I am sure most of us have. I have dreams in the past where I used and I could taste it and actually for a split second when I woke up ... it seemed like I could feel that split second high. I dream of smoking coke or crack normally. But lately my dreams never seem to involve me using. It is more me going out to cop or me being around people using. But again, I am never using.

My last two dreams were strange. One dream I spent the whole dream copping crack and having a hard time doing so. I was with the normal people in my dream that I would normally be out using with. And once I copped the **** I walked to the same place in the REAL house I would normally sit down and take my first hit. But I woke up before that happened. The next dream I was with a bunch of people that I was in rehab with. I met them at this hotel. They had all relapsed and I don't recall having any feelings about them relapsing but I knew I didn't want to relapse. And I spent the rest of the dream trying to get out of the hotel room. It was wierd because that part was like the Micheal Jackson Thriller video and the relapsing addicts were popping up everywhere trying to stop me. LOL OK ... I know it sounds strange.

My question is this. Is there any correlation between early dreams when I ALWAYS used and my latest dreams where it seems like I never use ... even though in some dreams I want to??? Even when I want to use in a dream ... I wake up before it happens. Anybody have any experience with this???

Albert R.
Hi Albert,

When I was in early sobriety, I had this "drunk dream" that seemed so real, that I was an emotional wreck when I woke up and couldn't shake the feelings no matter what. I had this anxious, irritable and discontent feeling that scared the hell out of me, and that dream seemed so real, that it was frightening. I ran to my AA meeting and I must have looked like I was a wreck, because this oldtimer came right over and asked me what was up?

I shared with him that I had this drunk dream and that it was SOOO real and that I was scared, and I didn't know what it meant, but it felt like I had used, even though I hadn't.

His words to me, I keep in my heart, even to this day... 15 sober and beautiful years later. What he shared with me was this: "Patsy, drunk dreams just mean that we are deadly serious about our recovery, thats it."

Now, I don't know if thats true or not, but what I do know is that it allowed me to look at it with some sense of reality...... that I WAS AND AM dead serious about my recovery. I haven't had another drunk dream that disturbed me since then

So perhaps all any of these dreams means is that you are deadly serious about your recovery......... and isn't that a gift!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have heard something similar to what Patsy said. I was told that we are now filling our minds with positive thoughts and ideas and our brains need room to store it so it throws out all the junk in the form of dreams. Out with the old and in with the new. I still have drug dreams from time to time sometimes no problem with them others I get a major case of the shakes.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

I echo all of the above. I rarely have them now, and when I do they are not as frightening as they used to be, more about how I am able to walk away. I think as mentioned, they're an important reminder of where we don't want to go again.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I am just trying to find out the reasons for the dreams and than of course the reason they seem to have changed. Somebody else told me something similar to what Patsy said ... so I am hoping that is the right reason.

Thanks again,

Albert R.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are not the only one!

My therapist reassured me that "using dreams" were normal and even healthy ways to sort out what was happening in our lives at that time.
I diverted pain pills, opiates, fromt eh hospital I worked at as a nurse. Many of my dreams revolved around obtaining them and just starting to take them. I would wake up feeling upset that I had succumbed, then realized it was a dream.
Now I rarely dream that I am using, but as you described, trying to obtain the drugs so I could use. At first I was freaked out as I have over 5 years of sobriety, but my therapist reassured me again that it is not unusual and that I should try to correlate these dreams to what stress is going on in my life and more often than not, I am stressed about something.
Now I am really into all dreams and interpretations and I am discovering soem interesting things about myself.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

The most recent weird dream I had was trying to keep the peace in a meeting at a treatment center that was being invaded by staff who had given us a hard time over lighting candles. t was originally a candlelight meeting but Staff told the trusted servants that it was a fire code violation. Nobody got rid of the candles and the following week the guy who showed up to set up didn't know and went through catching hell all over again.
Thats almost a reality!! We threw away the candles too.[INDENT]I had a dream in my first rehab, going into the day room and the counselors and patients were all laughing at me, saying it was a joke and nobody ever really gets clean. Today I look at some of the using dreams as my addicion wanting to play games with me. Most of what I dream of is comping and never really use. And it is getting better. It is normal for us to go through this. As long as we dont pick up, no matter what, it gets better.[INDENT]