Notices

Struggling to identify Higher Power

Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Our literature states: “We needed to find a power greater than us by which we could live.”

What is your definition of living? What kind of life do you want? Can you alone create that?

The journey to a relationship with a power greater than ourselves is a very personal one. We cannot dictate what it should look like for anyone else. There are certainly those who believe they can. I fundamentally disagree with that approach and believe it contradicts the spirit of recovery.

My coming to believe in a power greater than myself has been a journey outside of my rational mind as much as it has been connected to it. It has been one of those things that I cannot nor can anyone else definitively explain that has led me to humble myself.

Ultimately it is about surrendering to the mystery of life. It is about surrendering to the idea that if the vast majority of the human community believes in some kind of power grater than them, then, as stated in the recovery literature, who am I to say there is no power greater than me?

I have no idea what “God” is. I have no idea what any of this means. I do know that the journey has been less lonely, less confusing, less painful, and less isolating since I embraced the idea of a power great than myself. And, today, that is good enough for me.

TB
Old 07-04-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timebuster View Post
Our literature states: “We needed to find a power greater than us by which we could live.”

What is your definition of living? What kind of life do you want? Can you alone create that?

The journey to a relationship with a power greater than ourselves is a very personal one. We cannot dictate what it should look like for anyone else. There are certainly those who believe they can. I fundamentally disagree with that approach and believe it contradicts the spirit of recovery.

My coming to believe in a power greater than myself has been a journey outside of my rational mind as much as it has been connected to it. It has been one of those things that I cannot nor can anyone else definitively explain that has led me to humble myself.

Ultimately it is about surrendering to the mystery of life. It is about surrendering to the idea that if the vast majority of the human community believes in some kind of power grater than them, then, as stated in the recovery literature, who am I to say there is no power greater than me?

I have no idea what “God” is. I have no idea what any of this means. I do know that the journey has been less lonely, less confusing, less painful, and less isolating since I embraced the idea of a power great than myself. And, today, that is good enough for me.

TB
that to me creates a mystery around a god or higher power so would be sitting there trying to work it out as thats what i am like, the more i would find the more questions i would keep on asking but never getting at the answer

so i had to dismiss all the magic side of things that i can not see and focus on the things that were real around my daily life

without aa i would be in a wet bed today smelling of pee and trying to dry out my matteress
or i could be found anywhere alseep sick all down me or in a prison cell
guilt shame and remorse were my best friends and the only firends i had left until i came into aa
i took myself to aa on my own 2 legs and only by me doing that did i get the help i needed, and i still get that help today if needed but i dont need there help like i once did so all i can do these days is help others and give my time to new comers just like i was shown

or i could sit with my head in the clouds all day long looking for answers to the universe etc i had to let go of that as i would drive myself nuts

so i was told to keep it simple and there is nothing more simple than seeing how i came into aa and let aa help me and where i am today 10 years on

it really does work but only if we work it, i love that part of the promises, most people repeat the words we think not, i dont i just repeat the words it works if we work it

anyway to the op good luck to you on what ever way you can find for a hp
talk to as many different people as you can and see if you can pick up anything that will make sense to you
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FatallyUncool View Post
I am struggling with spirituality and the higher power concept. I'm pretty active in NA, but I'm working the fifth step and my sponsor says now is the time to connect with my hp on a deeper level.

I don't believe there is something out there that loves me unconditionally or will remove my defects of character. This is making it very difficult for me to progress through the steps.
I think of the divine through the parable of the blind men and the elephant; we cannot understand the infinite, knowing that it is beyond our comprehension is enough.

The steps are suggestive only. It may be easier to look at it this way:

Step Five: The patterns in the transgressions from step five are indicative of your character defects. The defects are the underlying motive that drove the transgression.

Step six: recognize and "own" the defects. Understand the payoff that existed in actively harboring the defect. E.G.: What happens when you no longer play the victim? Are you ready to give up the defect and the payoff?

Step Seven: reach out to whatever feels appropriate for help in giving up the defects, and strength to take that road less travelled today. Some people describe HP as "whatever makes the grass grow and the wind blow." It just has to be honest. The more you do it, the more authentic it will become. Trust the process - it takes time to get used to it and trust the outcome, but it does happen.