Notices

Answers

Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Answers

Hi, Just found out my H is a meth user after he was arrested last week. He spent 3 days in jail and now has decided he wants help. It's been 4 days since he's been out of jail and still hasn't checked on rehab. How do I know he's not using again? What are the withdrawl symptoms from this and how long can a person really go without it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

How do I know he's not using again? What are the withdrawl symptoms from this and how long can a person really go without it?
You can't ever really know that an addict's not using. We're really good at hiding our use.

I don't know about meth withdrawal from personal experience, but I know the main thing is sleeping and depression, aka "crashing."

And a person can go without it...period. Meth withdrawal is not the life-threatening kind that withdrawal from alcohol or sedatives can be.

I suggest if your husband wants help that he check out Narcotics Anonymous. Just look in the phone book for their hotline. It works for me! Wish you both the best.
Love, Eddie
Old 07-07-2004, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

How do I know he's not using again? What are the withdrawl symptoms from this and how long can a person really go without it?
You can't ever really know that an addict's not using. We're really good at hiding our use.

I don't know about meth withdrawal from personal experience, but I know the main thing is sleeping and depression, aka "crashing."

And a person can go without it...period. Meth withdrawal is not the life-threatening kind that withdrawal from alcohol or sedatives can be.

I suggest if your husband wants help that he check out Narcotics Anonymous. Just look in the phone book for their hotline. It works for me! Wish you both the best.
Love, Eddie
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I didn't mean to post that twice, but I did mean to suggest that you look into Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings or least check out their respective forums here. You have to take care of you!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eddie is so right. We are very good at hiding our use. If he's not ready to quit, you can't make him. I agree with the Nar-anon suggestion, also. It will help you learn. Prayers are coming your way. sherry
Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it's a terrible addiction, he has to quit if you want to save him. He has to want help himself. But it is literally distroying his brain tissue as he takes it and he will never be same if he keeps taking it.

You are in my prayers and Nar-anon is a good suggestion.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Superhero to 1

Hi SeekingHope- I'm from the NarAnon forum. My H is a meth addict as well. It was very difficult for me to know when he was using, but his is dual-diagnosis and I only knew that he was dealing with the mental issues. As soon as I found out he was using I left our home because I was in fear for my baby. The satistics I'm told about getting off meth aren't good- most people don't do it on their own. They really need a comprehensive rehab program and for that he will have to want it himself. It's true that the withdrawal isn't life threatening like a lot of other drugs, but like I said the relapse rate is the worst. Please feel free to read/post on the NarAnon site. There are many others in your situation and we are here to support you in taking care of yourself.
Hugs, Chalc
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Everyone.....you are so right it's all up to him now. I will stand beside him only if he helps himself. I'm currently in a custody battle with my ex H and this has hurt my case bigtime. I'm a basket case trying to keep my kids and to help my H too. Thanks to everyone for your prayers...God is the only one that can work this situation out...it's just hard to turn it over to him completely.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

..God is the only one that can work this situation out...it's just hard to turn it over to him completely.
Just think of the relief once you let go!!
Love, Eddie