Notices

Sharing

Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sharing

I shared at the big recovery house in this area today. There were about 100 addicts in attendance. The man I went in with asked for a show of hands as to how many were there out of choice. Only about 10 hands went up. So lots of court-ordered folks, or maybe from a relative forcing them in.

It was kind of a rough bunch. A fight broke out in the back near the end of the meeting. One man shared that he was on restriction for forcing one of the women to "do something" in his room. He didn't say what that something was, but the woman was in the meeting and she began screaming at him. There are only 5 women in the center at this time.

I got through my share, and it seemed like most of the people were listening, but I can certainly understand why they were distracted after that nonsense. My sponsor was there and she said that type of behavior is pretty much par for the course there.

The facility itself was fairly prison-like. Buzzers and bars on the doors. Hard plastic chairs, but no sofas or TV that I could see. I was very grateful that I got to leave. It sure wasn't as nice as the ones on the Intervention show on TV.

I don't know if anyone got anything out of my share. I hope so, but who knows? I invited them to come up and get my number after the meeting, but nobody approached. I got the feeling the women feel like they are under siege there. Too many men, some of them predatory.

I used to wish I could go to a treatment center to get clean back in the beginning of my recovery, but now I realize I am lucky that I was able to get the message from meetings.

In any event, I've been asked to speak at two more meetings in August, so I guess I'll start to get used to it after that. I never thought I'd get comfortable sharing in public.

Love,
KJ
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for posting that. A fight broke out at the meeting and it continued! Crazy.

I was at an in-patient facility a long time ago in Rockville, nothing like that though.

Good to hear you are becoming accomplished at speaking - carry the message.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do H& I work from time to time. I only do it in males settings. Its just better for me and I think for them. Maybe requesting a same sex venue? just my 2 cents...
Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

"I don't know if anyone got anything out of my share. I hope so, but who knows?"

Of course they did, you did right?

You just bring your ES&H the rest is up to their higher power. It doesn't get much better than that, once you realize it really has nothing to do with you except for your willingness to be of service.

Keep suiting up and showing up and leave the results to someone else.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

You just bring your ES&H the rest is up to their higher power. It doesn't get much better than that, once you realize it really has nothing to do with you except for your willingness to be of service.

Keep suiting up and showing up and leave the results to someone else.
Amen.

Recovery house? Sounded more like a reformatory or a prison to me. I've been in too many rehabs and halfway houses to count, and I've never heard of anything like you described happening. 100 heads? Recovery is big business -everyday, all day.

Thankfully, as recovering addicts, it's not our job to determine who'll get this thing or not. Our job is to simply carry the message that NA works for any addict who wants what we have to offer. Unfortunately, it takes a thoroughly whooped ass to want it.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being of service is one of the greatest gifts of recovery as far as I'm concerned.
I will say a prayer that these mandated folks don't break your anonymity as it is so important to your career.

Sincerely,
Missy
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, G, I've found out from some other addicts that the place I went to isn't really a "recovery house." Instead, it's a court-ordered alternative to prison. I was told when asked to speak that it was a place that people go on their own, but it wasn't. I don't think anyone would choose that place, unless the only other choice is prison. So that makes more sense. I think that I would rather speak at a place where people want to attend instead of have to attend. I guess there are some in our fellowship who got the message in prison, though, so you never know.

I feel like the staff there should do a better job to insure safety during meetings. It didn't feel safe there. I felt really sorry for the five women stuck in there. They looked hunted.

KJ
Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Yes, G, I've found out from some other addicts that the place I went to isn't really a "recovery house." Instead, it's a court-ordered alternative to prison. I was told when asked to speak that it was a place that people go on their own, but it wasn't.
That's not cool at all. Considering how protective you are regarding your anonymity, you may want to do a bit of independent research in the future about places you're asked to share at. Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Yes, G, I've found out from some other addicts that the place I went to isn't really a "recovery house." Instead, it's a court-ordered alternative to prison. I was told when asked to speak that it was a place that people go on their own, but it wasn't. I don't think anyone would choose that place, unless the only other choice is prison. So that makes more sense. I think that I would rather speak at a place where people want to attend instead of have to attend. I guess there are some in our fellowship who got the message in prison, though, so you never know.

I feel like the staff there should do a better job to insure safety during meetings. It didn't feel safe there. I felt really sorry for the five women stuck in there. They looked hunted.

KJ
So sorry you were put in this situation. The person that asked you to attend should have been upfront about the type of facility you were going to speak at. I also have concerns when I attend my meetings that someone might find out for similar reasons as you (I plan to go into law and need to meet a certain code of ethics when I take the Bar). That's not good that you only found out later what type of place this really was. I feel for the women in the meetings and program.