Notices

Test...This is a TEST....

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Test...This is a TEST....

This is a safe place for me to lob a bomb out as a test to see how the rest of the world feels before I do so in the rooms face to face.

In early recovery we always was on the look out for old "using behavior". Anytime we saw each other doing it we would "bring it to their attention"

I see some stuff going on that I use to do and it was pointed out to me then. I would drink coffee for the wrong reasons...ie to get a buzz from the mass amount of caffeine (sp) in drinking.... oh say 2 or 3 POTS at a time....

We today I drink it for the taste one in the morning and one at a meeting. Maybe one during dinner.

WELL here is the bomb...

Whats up with these energy drinks..they get bigger and bigger, fancy cans...and now the little shot size bottles. I have never had one cuz I think its just a speed drink. After the evening events at a convention this weekend I went out to do the morning meditation where everyone WAS at the night before and it was covered in those cans and little bottles.

Am I missing something here cuz I do alot.. Am I being too ridged cuz I am a lot...Do I not know whats in the cans cuz I dont ..

I trust the insight of others so you tell me... Whats the deal.

Its like we use to say in early recovery. "thank god to 15 pots of coffee a day I have not found it nessary to use my drug of choice speed today" :wtf2LOL
Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Marketing people are always going to try news ways to get your money.

The marketing idea is to try and get your attention, and keep your attention.

Now that you know their 'game' maybe you can ignore them?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Tommy..
I was wondering however if you view this drinking of mass amounts of energy drinks a using behavior...meaning drinking something to "alter the mood"
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My opinion?

Any overindulgence in any activity that I WANT TO STOP doing is not good behavior.

Especially if it is an attempt to 'alter the mood'...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Energy Drinks = Using?

Originally Posted by huntsober View Post
Thanks Tommy..
I was wondering however if you view this drinking of mass amounts of energy drinks a using behavior...meaning drinking something to "alter the mood"
I'm with you on this one, Joe. And I know there will be those who will jump all over me for what I'm about to say, but...yes...I see drinking large amounts of energy drinks as a form of "using" something.

I tease local members about it all the time. I've even written articles for our newsletter addressing it. Want energy? Eat right...take a nap...go to bed on time...exercise. Just my opinion.

They always come back at me by saying that I drink coffee or smoke cigarettes. True, but I don't drink coffee for energy or to "wake up." I'm a sugar fiend and I love the taste of sweetened coffee (3 - 4 cups a day). Neither coffee or cigarettes give me a "rush" like I've heard energy drinks do. Then they'll tell me that they only drink them for the taste. To that I ask, "Doesn't soda or fruit juice taste as good?"

I've toned down my remarks lately and I'm finding that many members aren't drinking them as much as they once did. One member recently had a stroke and she thinks drinking 6 or 7 energy drinks a day contributed to it.

I'm just hoping that it's a passing fad.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

About nicotine, caffiene and sugar,
The words "progress not perfection"
Come to mind.
With clearer lenses of perception,
Less fear/stress of financial insecurity,
Knowing peace and serenity for days
Upon days, quitting caffiene and/or tobacco
Will be easier for many recovering people, but even
Still, probably one of the most difficult things.
As a recovering speed addict, and my sponsor is too,
But I am also Bipolar, I have to watch how I use caffiene.
I can still take 3 guarana supplements and. 6 shots of
Esspresso to stay up all night, but when I do,
I am contributing and feeding my own insanity.
But simply have the 2-4 shots in the MORNING
Like I am accustomed to, and MAYBE a small
Iced coffee in the late afternoon, I don't feel
This is much of a using bavoir, but more of
a "thing I can work on to be healthier"..
There is major difference in the *intention* of how
I used to use caffiene and how I do today.
Ultimately, zero caffiene, no smoking, and
absolutely no cane sugar in someones diet
Yeilds a more wholesome consciousness, probably (speculating)
But I today do not have the desire to quit that stuff.

Most AA/NA members stay away from making controversy
Over caffiene and nicotine addiction. The program would
Be seen as too puritanical, impossible and unattractive
If we defined sobriety by todays highest nutitional standards as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You know, I don't know. In treatment I thought it was nuts that they gave regular smoking breaks so people could die from nicotine instead of alcohol. Me quit all drugs, except prescribed (blood pressure, etc.), alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine drinks, except tea which I'm working on. Then we can get into processed foods and so on. As I said who knows. We each seek our own path. Me, without drugs, alcohol and nicotine, I feel pretty good. Kinda keeping the 5th precept. I'm not perfect, I just am, but not Really.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

That's encouraging., coolfitz.
I think there is an intricate balance act
That 12 steppers and rehabs, hospitals
Have to play. More mental wards are smoke free now,
Coffee has always been limited. But we all know
That authoritave based restriction won't last forever,
As soon as I got out of the asylum: I need cigarette.
The common successful plan of attack does seem to be to
Get the large obstacles (illicit drugs) out of the way,
Then deal with the remaining obstacles (caffiene, nicotine)
No doubt they are detrimental, but full recovery, to
most, isn't a pure 180 degrees. I wish it was. Id be a lot
healthier than I am now. Its an interesting and compelling
Approach to adiction, affirmating a perfect diet, excercise plan,
Permananet Sobriety date... I know a few perfectionists
Including myself that continue to try this.. each day,
Oops I made a mistake, NEVERMORE, oops, I did it agaiin,
What's wrong with me? ...a good way to beat myself into
zero self-esteem, leading me into depression, than escape, self-seeking, etc
More power to anyone that can successfully follow the
"From now on, I'm perfect" formula. Seems logical. Hasn't worked for me LOL
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Most AA/NA members stay away from making controversy Over caffiene and nicotine addiction.
I agree, and rightfully so. Caffiene, nicotine and sugar is hardly ever an issue that's discussed in the meetings I attend. But here at SR we've discussed it many times (as well as outside meetings with our peers). Recently, at a speaker jam, one of the speakers went as far as to say that any member that smokes cigarettes isn't clean and is using. Talk about controversy!!

For me, when it comes to energy drinks, coffee, sugar or cigarettes...NA has no opinion on these issues and they're best worked out through each member's personal step work and honest discussion with their sponsor. Yet...I, as an individual, do have an opinion that I'm free to express. I'm just mindful not to talk about such things in an NA meeting. I haven't been high in over a decade and that's a major accomplishment for me, and since recovery is about progress (among other things) and not perfection, I try to keep it simple and cross bridges when I get to them. A well-preserved corpse is a corpse none the less.

Most of us who have been around for a while know that our literature tells us that any time we use anything to alter the way we feel we should review our 1st step (powerlessness & unmanageability). So...to the member that believes they "need" an energy drink for energy, I'd have to ask why are they lacking energy and could there be something else they could do to increase it without consuming a substance?

Just my opinion...not NA's.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

Here is my opinion, I don't really have an opinion and of course as pointed out neither does NA.

HOWEVER, In my experience while working a program of recovery and slowly but surely learning to love myself I no longer want to kill myself so I eliminate things in my life that are bad for me. I started with drugs and moved on to other things that I knew weren't healthy for me. Hopefully when people start loving theirselves enough they will not want to die over silly stuff like too much Caffiene, nicotine, overweight, etc., etc.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
REZ

There a lots of things I can do that change my mood/mental state, such as:

Exercise, sex, meditation, massage, taking a hot bath, work, playing or listening to music, eating, napping, walking, watching tv or movies, shopping, gambling, etc.

All of these things are potentially addictive for me because they make me feel different. So am I addicted to anything that makes me feel different? No. What it boils down to me is 1) powerlessness and 2) unmanageability. If something in my life has both of these results for me, I have to think about whether it is a problem for me. I was powerless over drugs and they made my live unmanageable, but it is possible that caffeine, sugar, sex, tv, etc. could result in powerlessness and umanageability.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well there goes my junkie thinking.....

If I can "maintain" the use and "manage" my life while using...can I do it??? no
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

All of these things are potentially addictive for me because they make me feel different. So am I addicted to anything that makes me feel different?
For me, that's where motive and intent have to be examined. Waking up in the morning makes me feel different. But if I intentionally stay in bed to "alter" my reality, I need to get honest about why I'm running. Like I said earlier...If I feel I "have to" have an energy drink, I may need to ask myself why I'm lacking energy and consider an alternative to the easier, softer way.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly, unmanagability in my life is a key to something being a problem for me. If I'm unable to stop drinking energy drinks when I need to and they are keeping me from going to sleep at night, then I need to stop, or I put my way of life at risk. I could start missing work, become ill, etc. Who knows where it could all lead?

Love,
KJ
Old 07-22-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

I've had a couple (2) in recovery on different occasions. They made me feel kinda uncomfortable and guilty. That's some pretty heavy ****, lol.
Who knows? I might have another one some day. It's not something i'd go outa my way for.
I have no doubt that I am an obssesive/compulsive person. Today I can clearly see that. I don't want to be a slave anymore..
Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I am doing it for instant gratification, "boost" or to change how I feel....then for me it is addctive behavior for her.

It was interesting to find out my sponsor drinks these energy drinks. She is honest and admits it's addictive behavior for her and asked my opinion about it.

I remember when I realized I was drinking way too much coffee and for the pure fact I wanted to use....it's the motivation behind it.

Raising a flag in form of having some one take a look at their own behavior is perfectly acceptable in my book. When I heard others suggest checking my motives it helped me to see my part.

Being honest with oneself lies on the shoulders of the individual.

To mention the observation and share your own experience is how we pass it along.

I don't drink those energy drinks. I do, however drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee most days of the week. I also like iced tea.

There's my two cents,
Missy
Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oops...
If I am doing it for instant gratification, "boost" or to change how I feel....then for me it is addctive behavior for her.
no no no....for me!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Does anybody know what's in those energy drinks? I know one commercial talks about how much sugar is in it's competition...but other than sugar, what's in it? Caffiene?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
REZ

Many of them have B-vitamins and some have ginseng, which is also a stimulant. I think one of them was pulled off the market a while back after traces of cocaine were found. I don't drink these things. A few cups of coffee a day is about all the caffeine I can handle. Anything more than that, and I get too anxious.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Unmanageability?

The insanity of my addiction was to more, more and more.

As a recovery addict. If I can rationalize and justify a energy drink to alter my mood, was else am I capable of.

Its common knowledge for those who abuse energy drinks. You get a boost of energy at first. Then a couple of hours later you crash. Then you start the cycle all over again. That my friends is what I call unmanageability.

Remember this phrase?. One is to many, and a thousand is never enough.

Ivan