Notices

step 12 and onwards journey

Old 09-28-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

step 12 and onwards journey

hello everyone, hope my message finds all spiritually intact, i am wondering , i am now in step 12, and realize i have been working it since, i was in step 9, when i started taking sponsees, now i am wondering do i continue with the same sponsor, whom i reallly like alot, and start again a re-run of the same 12 steps or what is the direction. i already know what my current sponsor will make me do..... is changing sponsors beneficial,? do i have to do all steps again,? so i get exposed to a differnet school,i.e. mind you a lot of sponsors in egypt donot ask you to work your steps from the step working guide....
apprecite some feedback,
god bless you all

n.b, i am very gratefull for SR and for all those who share, it has done me alot of goooood......
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've never heard of changing sponsors once you get to step 12. The only reason I can think of to change sponsors is when the relationship isn't working - either for the sponsor or for the sponsee.

I'm curious to hear the responses.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't change sponsors but I would I would also open myself up to the way others practice these steps
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

IMO that is your choice. I would not change sponsors, but it is up to you.

When you start the steps again (which is what I believe we do, we do them again and again....etc.) other things come up. Each time I have done the steps more has been revealed to me, another layer of the onion as they say gets peeled. Each time I do the steps I learn more about myself. And while we are staying clean and living life, there is more work on myself to do.

Congrats for getting to 12, be proud of yourself!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I, also, have never heard of changing sponsors just because the 12th step has been reached. I know of members (including myself) who have had the same sponsor for many, many years and who have gone through the steps more than once with the same sponsor. IMO, a sponsor who does step work progresses through the recovery journey just as the sponsee does, and at some point the relationship between a sponsor and sponsee evolves from one of guidance and direction to one of mutual support and friendship. As they say, it becomes a "two-way street."

do i have to do all steps again,?
That's a good question. IMO, it depends on what you believe. Many people "formally" re-do the steps and find it to be helpful, while others believe that steps 10 thru 12 are the "maintainence steps" or an incorporation of the previous 9. I've known members to continually do formal step work, and I see no harm in it.

G
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

do i have to do all steps again,?
I do a 4th and 5th every year ( usually with my sponsor but I have also used two different ministers and found their insight incredible).

I also find that as I guide men through the steps I learn more about how to incorporate them into my life. And I also found for me that my 5th step was incomplete until I heard one as a sponsor. I have had many sponsors throughh the years but have been able to keep the same one for almost 7 years and he is as much of a friend as he is sponsor.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting to step 12~! I would do them at least twice, I think. If nothing else, I want to see how my writing would be different the second time around after doing them once. You might see that you have some new insight this time, because you now know what you'll have to do on the next steps.

I wish my sponsor would let me start on the step work. We're still working on the Triangle of Self-Obsession. I guess I must really be self-obsessed, because it's taking me a long time to finish writing on it. I have 12 pages now.
KJ
Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish my sponsor would let me start on the step work
I hope one day you realize how insane that sentence is" I wish my sponsor would let me start on the step work"

A sponsor should never keep you from starting on the steps. I am sorry, I know many will disagree with me or say that your sponsor must know better, but that is soooooooo wrong. It is your recovery, therefore your responsibility.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but that is one of the things wrong with our fellowship
Old 09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Here we go again LOLOLOLOLOL

I have often heard in the rooms of doing writing and things based on our literature before starting Step work or during step work. We are not there face to face with kj and her sponsor.

Oh Steve...we could have some great face to face discussions LOL

But this thread is about bob.

I have often heard also about people working the steps around other things than drugs. After my first time through them, way more issues come up than my drug use, especially now after being clean for the years a have.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
I do a 4th and 5th every year ( usually with my sponsor but I have also used two different ministers and found their insight incredible).

I also find that as I guide men through the steps I learn more about how to incorporate them into my life. And I also found for me that my 5th step was incomplete until I heard one as a sponsor. I have had many sponsors throughh the years but have been able to keep the same one for almost 7 years and he is as much of a friend as he is sponsor.
Great words....and I love when we agree:ghug3