Notices

Pure Motives - JFT, Feb. 27th

Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Pure Motives - JFT, Feb. 27th

February 27
“Pure” motives

“We examine our actions, reactions, and motives. We often find that we’ve been doing better than we’ve been feeling.”

Basic Text, p. 42

––––= ––––

Imagine a daily meditation book with this kind of message: “When you wake up in the morning, before you rise from your bed, take a moment for reflection. Lie back, gather your thoughts, and consider your plans for the day. One by one, review the motives behind those plans. If your motives are not entirely pure, roll over and go back to sleep.” Nonsense, isn’t it?

No matter how long we’ve been clean, almost all of us have mixed motives behind almost everything we do. However, that’s no reason to put our lives on hold. We don’t have to wait for our motives to become perfectly pure before we can start living our recovery.

As the program works its way into our lives, we begin acting less frequently on our more questionable motives. We regularly examine ourselves, and we talk with our sponsor about what we find. We pray for knowledge of our Higher Power’s will for us, and we seek the power to act on the knowledge we’re given. The result? We don’t get perfect, but we do get better.

We’ve begun working a spiritual program. We won’t ever become spiritual giants. But if we look at ourselves realistically, we’ll probably realize that we’ve been doing better than we’ve been feeling.

––––= ––––

Just for today: I will examine myself realistically. I will seek the power to act on my best motives, and not to act on my worst.

Copyright © 1991-2008 by Narcotics Anonymous World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

But if we look at ourselves realistically, we’ll probably realize that we’ve been doing better than we’ve been feeling.
Great line....I need to hear that and I tell woman that I sponsor that ALL the time!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
REZ

"We don’t have to wait for our motives to become perfectly pure before we can start living our recovery."

So true, because my motives will never be perfectly pure: they will always contain some self-interest/ego. But no matter, I can still choose to follow the right path today.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GarryW View Post
No matter how long we’ve been clean, almost all of us have mixed motives behind almost everything we do.
THAT's what I needed to hear. I still sometimes think I should actually be at a point someday where I don't have bad motives, or don't want to act out, etc etc. Thanks for the reality check and reminding me that this is just a daily reprieve, all I need to go is do my best today.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I hate examining my motives, however I do know this is necessary. Good reminder checking our motives. This morning in fact I was in a really good mood, but for some crazy reason I started acting weird toward my husband. That poor guy, why does he even put up with me? He is a patient man....at least he doesn't read so much into things like I do though. I think a lot of things he doesn't even notice. :-)