Notices

Provigil In Recovery

Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Provigil In Recovery

Hi Family Hope All Is Well. I Had A Question Here. I Havent Been On Any Antidepressants For About 10 Months. Now My Mood Is Horrible And Tired And Depressed. My Psych Wants To Try Provigil And Gave Me Some Samples. She Said Its Not Addictive But Yet Its A C4. My Sponsor Said I Should Probably Stay Away From It. Also He Doesnt Know How Down I Am. Any Comments Are Appreciated Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hey Tony This is Vic AKA luckyv2!~

Good to see ya man.

Tony just do whatever works for you. Sponsors are only suppose to help you through the steps. I don't like to give advice because my best thinking go me here. Anyways I am not around here too much so take care. Love ya man
Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you haven't researched the drug yourself, here's some things i found on the provigil website...

i was surprised to see it was a stimulant and only for sleep disorders...

Who should use it? Provigil is only approved for use by adults and children over the age of 16. It should only be taken by those suffering from sleep disorders.

Are there any side effects associated with taking Provigil?
Yes. The most common ones are headache, upper respiratory tract infection, nausea, nervousness, anxiety and insomnia. In clinical trials, these side effects each occurred in more than 5% of patients.

A Different Kind of Stimulant
Unlike caffeine and older prescription stimulants that affect the entire central nervous system which in turn leads to jitteriness, insomnia and prolonged bouts of sleep to make up for lost sleep, Provigil only seems to effect the part of the brain that keeps you awake. A person’s sleep patterns will usually revert back to normal after the effects of Provigil wear off. U.S. clinical trials have also demonstrated that Provigil is less likely to cause nervousness or withdrawal-like symptoms.

---------------
since i'm not a doctor, i'll keep my opinion to myself (lol or try to)...
other than say i agree with your sponsor, but hey i'm not a doctor!
i'm leary of all medication... thats why i've started going to a chiropractor this week instead of a doctor cause i know they'll only give me drugs and eventually recommend surgery.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many,many people who are in 12 steps programs use and need medications...as prescribed by Dr and taken according to directions.
I strongly disagree that taking medications as prescribed threatens or negates your sobriety.
You would be very, very suprised to know how many far in recovery use and take prescribed medications.
You will get more feedback.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Hey Tony This is Vic AKA luckyv2!~

Good to see ya man.

Tony just do whatever works for you. Sponsors are only suppose to help you through the steps. I don't like to give advice because my best thinking go me here. Anyways I am not around here too much so take care. Love ya man
HEY! GOOD TO SEE YOU! YOU CHANGE YOUR NAME?

IM STILL CLEAN AND LIVING LIFE, JUST ANOTHER OBSTACLE HERE. IM SUCH AN ADDICT I WALKED OUT OF THERE ALL HAPPY BECAUSE I KNEW THIS WAS A MOOD ALTERING DRUG BUT AT THE SAME TIME THATS WHY SHE WANTED ME TO TRY IT. I TOLD MY SPONSOR THAT AS WELL. MUCH LOVE!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucyo View Post
if you haven't researched the drug yourself, here's some things i found on the provigil website...

i was surprised to see it was a stimulant and only for sleep disorders...

Who should use it? Provigil is only approved for use by adults and children over the age of 16. It should only be taken by those suffering from sleep disorders.

Are there any side effects associated with taking Provigil?
Yes. The most common ones are headache, upper respiratory tract infection, nausea, nervousness, anxiety and insomnia. In clinical trials, these side effects each occurred in more than 5% of patients.

A Different Kind of Stimulant
Unlike caffeine and older prescription stimulants that affect the entire central nervous system which in turn leads to jitteriness, insomnia and prolonged bouts of sleep to make up for lost sleep, Provigil only seems to effect the part of the brain that keeps you awake. A person’s sleep patterns will usually revert back to normal after the effects of Provigil wear off. U.S. clinical trials have also demonstrated that Provigil is less likely to cause nervousness or withdrawal-like symptoms.

---------------
since i'm not a doctor, i'll keep my opinion to myself (lol or try to)...
other than say i agree with your sponsor, but hey i'm not a doctor!
i'm leary of all medication... thats why i've started going to a chiropractor this week instead of a doctor cause i know they'll only give me drugs and eventually recommend surgery.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I DID MY RESEARCH, IM NOT SURE WHAT MY DECISION REALLY IS.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
Many,many people who are in 12 steps programs use and need medications...as prescribed by Dr and taken according to directions.
I strongly disagree that taking medications as prescribed threatens or negates your sobriety.
You would be very, very suprised to know how many far in recovery use and take prescribed medications.
You will get more feedback.
THANK YOU. YES IM ON SOME OTHER MEDS AND AT THIS TIME STILL NEED THEM. I DEFINETLY BELIEVE THEY CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN STAYING CLEAN OR EVEN ALIVE.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by TONYTEXAS View Post
Hi Family Hope All Is Well. I Had A Question Here. I Havent Been On Any Antidepressants For About 10 Months. Now My Mood Is Horrible And Tired And Depressed. My Psych Wants To Try Provigil And Gave Me Some Samples. She Said Its Not Addictive But Yet Its A C4. My Sponsor Said I Should Probably Stay Away From It. Also He Doesnt Know How Down I Am. Any Comments Are Appreciated Thanks
I am not a doctor, nor is your sponsor. Even if your sponsor was, they do not have your medical file.

Provigil is prescribed off label for some types of depression.

There are some promising articles in the journals about its use of treatment for those of us who have tried the majority of meds.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unhappy No No No

Hello TonyTexas, I was prescribed Provigil for fatigue from opiates for chronic pain. I also was told non addictive. I started half tab 100mg in am and then half in evening. Well funny thing with that med...after a while it stops working. So then I would take it more often or a whole tab 200mg in am and pm. It is a very strange medication. I found that it can work well for a few days..nice speedy high.And then it will not work at all. I would have to stop using it to lose my tolerance level. Another thing I found that sometimes when it didn't work I had a worse depression than I had before. Plus...arguments with husband. wanting to be in my own little world ( with computer). It is very expensive. I think I pay like $260 for 30 tabs. Insurance won't cover even after numerous reports from my physician. They wanted me to take Dexadrine!!! I would get samples when I could. I also lost about 15lbs on it from having no appetite, and I am not a big person. Had sleep study but negative for Narcolepsy, but other things on report for abnormal sleep patterns. I think if you are addictive to anything you should be very careful and watch your usage. Don't get pulled in by this drug. I have doctors who give out anything they want. I take pills to wake up, go to sleep, kill pain, relax from anxiety. Another benzo for sleep , even sleeping pills if those don't work.Pills to have bowel movemeny and pills to prevent it. On and On it goes. I am planning to get detoxed in a few weeks after my husbands knee surgery, I am tired of not being me, and putting up with all these fluctuating mood swings. I just want to feel normal again...with no meds. Please be careful. Sorry I am fairly new here so I don't know your history. Just wanted to give you my side of story of what I experienced. I wish you well. Take care.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, One other thing provigil will make you more fatigued when you stop using it. It is in the literature. Takes some time to get over that overwhelming feeling of fatigue. You don't go back to the level of tiredness you were at before taking it.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hi Tony,

I normally do not post in this forum but I saw your title so I popped in here.
I do believe in anti-depresants and I don't normally believe in giving out
advice because we are all so different when it comes to meds, but I will just say be
really careful with this one if you choose to take it. I had a friend who took it and
like IAMJUSTME, she had to increase her dose, she lost a ton of weight, which she didn't need to, she became moody, jittery, it was great at first, then they had to take her off. She wasn't an addict, so she didn't have to much of a problem, but it wasn't easy for her. It's very much like all the stimulants. Not saying it's not good for some, that is just what I have seen. Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks For The Words People. Im Not Sure But I Dont Think Its One Of These Meds That Has To Be Built Up In Your System To Work. If Thats True I Will Just Take It Here And There When I Find It Absolutely Neccessary. My Sponsor Agreed And He Realized He Was Projecting His Experience With It On Me. He Was Prescribed It With A Month Clean And Abused It Than Drank His Kids Codeine Cough Syrup. Thank God I Dont Have To Do That Today
Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TONYTEXAS View Post
He Was Prescribed It With A Month Clean And Abused It Than Drank His Kids Codeine Cough Syrup. Thank God I Dont Have To Do That Today
at least he was sharing his experience and concerns with you. and what happened to him is exactly why i'm leary of medication. the basic text says, and i believe it 'There is no safe use of drugs for us.' theres a good section on medication in our basic text, its in the more will be revealed chapter.

good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks! Im Just Gonna Take It When I Feel Like Not Even Getting Out Of Bed And Its That Bad. Ive Taken It A Couple Times And It Had No Effect So Im Going To Talk To The Doctor And See What She Says. May Not Be For Me
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

great Tony, we can't make that decision for you.
I can share my ESH with anti depressent or having depression.
What help me was a person in recovery was going through the same
thing i was. So sharing about my depression help me a lot.
I still have depression from time to time...yeap can't get out of
bed for no particular reasons. it's like my body is not connect to
my mind and no matter how i try i can't get myself to move..it won't go.lol

The attacks has gotten fewer and futher apart over the years.
I might go into a funk once or twice a year.

The conception of an inner child has help me very , very much
it might seem too much for some, it was a bit wierd when i first heard of it.
After i went through an episode of total depression and despair.
I draged myself out of bed with all my might and gave myself a bath,
but I bath myself as if i was washing my own children with the love
and care that i had for them.
it's really wierd..becuase addiction is a self absorbing and selffish thing.
A part of me had no reasons to live and didn't want to go on becuase
it was so selffish...I actaully broke down into tears by allowing
myself to love myself. I neglected him for so, so long.
So i humble myself and started living for the child inside of me.
It might seem strange at first. I started rasing that child inside of me.
It eat for him, I clean up his room for him, i write music for him.
I stay clean and sober for him.
i no longer beat up on him or nail him to the cross when he makes mistakes.
Some would say. I'm reparenting myself or learning how love and take care of myself,
Or i learned how to have a relationship with myself.

okay..the adult or logic apart of me dosn't beliving in GOD or a HP.
But the kid dose. He love gods with all his heart. and he loves me too.
He's actaully a pretty happy go lucky kid once i got to know him.

for me...the adult and logically side of me gose into depression.
My inner child is there by his side with the love his has for the adult.
While i might not totlly snap out of my depression right away.
Just know that i love myself...I 'm not totally crazy or sink deeper,
when a depression attack occures.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
IO Storm

IMHO...take em' if ya need em'.....don't if you don't.

Keep it simple..and listen to your doc...they have your well being in mind.

Love,

IO