Notices

Just For Today Meditations

Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just For Today Meditations

November 3
No matter what

"We eventually have to stand on our own feet and face life on its own terms, so why not from the start."

Basic Text p.85

Some of us feel that we should protect newcomers by telling them that, while everything used to be horrible, now we're in recovery it's all wonderful. We feel that we might scare someone away if we speak of pain or difficulties, broken marriages, being robbed, and the like. In a sincere and well-intentioned desire to carry the message, we tend to talk glowingly only about what's going well in our lives.

But most newcomers already suspect the truth, even if they've only been clean for a few days. Chances are that the "life on life's terms" the average newcomer is experiencing is quite a bit more stressful than what the average oldtimer deals with each day. If we do manage to convince a newcomer that everything becomes rosy in recovery, we had better make sure we are there to support that newcomer when something goes wrong in his or her life.

Perhaps we simply need to share realistically about how we use the resources of Narcotics Anonymous to accept "life on life's terms,' whatever those terms may be on any given day. Recovery, and life itself, contain equal parts of pain and joy. It is important to share both so the newcomer can know that we stay clean no matter what.

Just for today: I will be honest with the newcomers I share with and let them know that, no matter what life brings, we never have to use drugs again.

pg. 321

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous ©
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clean and Fabulous

Vic, I have to thank you for posting these everryday. My JFT book is in the trunk of my car somewhere and it's awesome that I can read this part of our literature online. I just wanted you to know you are loved and appreciated and I really than you for taking the time to do this.
Keep coming back, I need you!
love,
cass
Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vic...
I too appreciate the Just for Today meditations being posted here!
Thanks for doing it.
I do have my book right beside the computer...but I enjoy reading it online.
I also appreciate how you always use the copyright symbol...
On todays reading....
it's certainly not been a walk in the park!
I've been through many "horrible, awful, really rotten days in recovery"...
but none yet that I had to pick up a drink or a drug over.....
thanks to the programs of NA and AA.
Thanks for letting me share.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

THis meditation reflects my reasoning for picking my sponsor. He will have 19 years this month on the 13th and he ALLWAYS shares about where he is at, weather it be pretty and filled with butterflys (which does happen sometimes) or not so nice and dealing with a lot of "life on life's terms" like recently when his house burnt down and he lost everything, he shared how messed up he was and how he didn't have to use over it NO MATTER WHAT! I really respect that. He also isn't shy about calling me on my ******** when I talk with him, and that I need.

SOmetimes life can better than I ever imagined it could be and the next day it can be so bad that I feel like giving up, NA has shown me that no matter what, I never have to use again.