Notices

Positions in NA?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Question Positions in NA?

Can you as a trusted servant hold more than one position such as at the district level and GSR of your homegroup? Maybe I am not wording the district part right maybe the area level.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Depends on Guidelines and Policy of Area. Here, GSR(Group Service Represenative) is the voting member and carries the groups vote at the Area level. So having the GSR in in a Chair position such as PI or H&I would be wrong and would bring some very dangerous personalities out of us.

Is this what you are looking for?

For example: I am the chair of PI. we brought a motion to the groups for the website. If I was a GSR I would carry the groups vote back to the Area on a motion from the Subcommittee I am chairperson of.

Do you see anything wrong with that picture?

It is easy to get caught up in the polotics of the service structure and not know what people with a personal agendsa are trying to pull. It all sounds good, but looking upo the information for yourself, talking with more experienced members and your sponsor is the best. I gave you what I know, if you need anything else, ask!! If there is more to it let us know.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Ok the position that he is going to be voted in on is either ACM or RCM. My question is this, can he still hold the GSR postion of this group if he is being voted in one of these postions?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life...It's What's For Dinner

I find this interesting because I am a GSR and Activites Chair in the same Area. At Area they have to exclude one of my votes sometimes because of this. Our Area is really small, we usually have about 8-10 people at each area meeting.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I don't think that he should hold both positions and I am going to email NA.org or check with some literature to try and figure this out I don't believe that he can hold both positions and be partial
Old 10-29-2006, 11:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Vic, what is ACM and RCM?

Personally I was GSR for the last 4 months of my term as activities chair for my area, and like inspiringmind said, I had to abstain from any votes that involved activities motions, unless it was a motion that had to be taken back to groups and I could get an official group conscience instead of just voting as a trusted servant. THe thing is that activities is set up in our area so that we never really have to make a motion for anything, we have a set budget of 750 per function (wich we never use more than 500) and we have freedom to throw functions outside of the 3 mandetory yearly ones, whenever we get the willingness to, so I never had a conflict.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Like I have said before, it depends on the guidelines of the Area or Region. RCM is Regional Committee Member, the person that goes to the regional business meeting and is the go to person for information.

Our area has it set that a GRS can not hold a chair position at the area level. So if I am PI Chair, I can not be a GSR. Now we have a Quaram we have to have before we can conduct business as well. 1/3 +2 of meetings on the meeting list. Almost all summer we don't get to conduct business. An I can't just nominate my self to be GSR that day. Its a safe gaurd actually, keeps the personal agendas out of the room, even though they still show up.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

OHHHHH... we call them ASR's down here...area service representatives (they go to region to represent our area) and RSR's regional service represenatives (they go to world to represent the region), I don't see how this person would have a conflict at region or world b/c they are a GSR also.

Yeah we use a quoram system too, 51% of the average of the last 3 area meetings....also if a gsr misses 2 area meetings they loose their voting rights on old business for the meeting they come back to....seems to work out well as we ususally make quoram since people are less prone to miss.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I have found out that he is going for the ACM and that they are going to vote him in in the next few weeks. I have tried to Google it to see what the guidelines are however I am not that good at the computer yet, I will keep seaching. The only problem that I have with all of this is that this group, is a govern group and the GSR (him) and the TREASURE make decisions and do not let the group at all in on it.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Vic you can usually get your area's guidelines by either going to your area's website if they have one, or by contacting the area secretary or the area chair.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Blake
Vic you can usually get your area's guidelines by either going to your area's website if they have one, or by contacting the area secretary or the area chair.
Thanks Blake I went to the area website and emailed them asking the question that I would like to see the guidelines for who is allowed to hold the position. Man I am really starting to have a love for NA