Notices

Using Bipolar as an "excuse"? What the hell?

Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Everybody can probably already tell I'm a left brained person.
I think way to much, and really need to just talk to somebody.
The other day I was so disabled that I had to leave work once again to sit in my bed rolling around crying and feeling like couldnt calm down, probably mixed symptoms of bipolar, which my doctor and I am currently talking about. I felt I had completly lost my mind. I want to move on and do more things in my life, but how can I do that when I have periods of time where I'm like that, and can't do anything. All I do when I leave work is sit at my house, with no drivers licence so I cant do anything. I have gone on long bike rides, and excersiced alot, which does help greatly for me, but I long for social contact, and exceptance, which I think I'm lacking. All my good friends don't have time for me anymore. I get my drivers license back in august so that will be a relief for me. I'm just stuck, things are better for me then they are the end of the world for me. Thats the bipolar talking, but I could balance myself out better if I just quit drinking, which is about biweekly for me.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kshow215
Everybody can probably already tell I'm a left brained person.
I think way to much, and really need to just talk to somebody.
The other day I was so disabled that I had to leave work once again to sit in my bed rolling around crying and feeling like couldnt calm down, probably mixed symptoms of bipolar, which my doctor and I am currently talking about. I felt I had completly lost my mind. I want to move on and do more things in my life, but how can I do that when I have periods of time where I'm like that, and can't do anything. All I do when I leave work is sit at my house, with no drivers licence so I cant do anything. I have gone on long bike rides, and excersiced alot, which does help greatly for me, but I long for social contact, and exceptance, which I think I'm lacking. All my good friends don't have time for me anymore. I get my drivers license back in august so that will be a relief for me. I'm just stuck, things are better for me then they are the end of the world for me. Thats the bipolar talking, but I could balance myself out better if I just quit drinking, which is about biweekly for me.

Live like you'll die tomorrow, but plan like you'll live forever
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd
I would also suggest honesty with your friend, Britz. Tell her you were hurt that she ignored these important events and that you believe friendships are mutual caring.

I am mentally ill.....but I only talk about it with others who have similar illnesses or problems...for numerous reasons.

Don't feel bad that you can't really understand her experience, how could you? Nor are you her therapist.

I admit I am self-involved. But I don't expect others to be all about me.
When I am ill, it is best for me if others are non-judgmental and allow me to work on my own wellness, which often means just letting me be.
I get really annoyed when someone decides to "cheer me up" by trying to insist that we go out on activities when I am not well enough to do much of anything and am struggling with basics, like eating and sleeping. It's nice if they ask me if there is anything I need. When I am really sick, just picking up some foodstuffs is a real blessing to me. There are times I could cry over the kindness of someone just bringing me a big mac and a drink. And a fish sandwich for later.

just my thoughts,
live
I appreciate your thoughts and to be honest there are times when this is so much bigger than I am. I am not a trained professional and find it hard to know the right thing to say or do. We have always had the type of friendship where we could tell eachother how the other is feeling, but since this diagnose, when I have told her how I feel, what my concerns are, I got an email saying this can't be about me it has to be about her right now. I did let her know with the prom thing that in order for me to be here like I want to be here for her she has to also show some interest in my life. When we finally talked after almost 2 months she said she has a hard time with showing me interest because my life has stability and that is something that she wants. I am suppose to call her today and it will be only the 2nd time we have talked since our fall out. Fingers crossed it goes well. Thanks for everyone's insight. It really does help!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Have you tried cognitive therapy at all? There are little coping mechanisms taht can help the episodes not become major
Old 07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
anewlifer

i am border line bipolar. i am the worst bipolar there is because i can control mine if i want to except when i am pregnat, but i have a younger brother who thinks he can control his with his med. of choice. he med. of choice is a main ingredent in speed lithum. he tries to use his condition to explain his whys also but let me tell both of you some thing i take my meds. every day i have a husband who has an addiction also (alchole) but i still deal with life and yes some peole want you to take responsiblity for your actions other then say i can not help it because yes you can if you choose. sorry to sound so B-t-hy on the subject but i had a real one as a theripst she told me to grow up and quit being a huge baby and that my illness will not always help me and later in life i found that out. some people don't except it or like it. but keep up the fight and try to control your out rages or impulses. you will feel better when it clears away. promise.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Live...tears come in reading your post...yes, we become so VERY grateful for everything someone does for use when we are struggling so much that we can't even prepare food for ourselves. I've been there too many times and I'm so sorry dear friend that you have been there probably 100 times more than I. Love
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This post is REALLY going to hit home with my husband whom struggles so badly trying to figure out why I say and do some of the things I do.

Yet he wont goggle bi-polar and read the basics. It gets VERY FRUSTRATING! He has agreed to read this post. Yay!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amidst Confusion

accidental second posting

Last edited by someguy_26; 10-17-2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: accidental second posting
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Amidst Confusion

I am a bit new to this forum and having this mental ailment, so I may not fully explain things clearly however I will make my best effort to show the story and get some sort of feedback from the very community which deal with my very issue on a day to day basis.

My g/f and I are having a very difficult time at the moment. Life is not the best but still managable with stressors. As stated earlier I found out I had this disease within the last month. However the symptoms have been the result of what I could consider any failures that I have had in life (previous relationship failure, previous self destruction, continous depression to the point it effects my income). I am coming to realize and accept, with a stiff upper lip, that my behavior due to this ailment, both the good and the bad. Like any person I have a natural talent of sorts, the gift of gab one might say. I see though that this is some involuntary masking or defensive mechnaism that allowed me to pragmatically explain why I behaved in such a brash and callous manner.....essentially finding a way to ******** my way/argue through anything to prove myself "right".

Now although this seems like a strange way to encounter and deal with the problem, it is as though some of these manipulation methods and techniques I have used as a shield from the world are now finding themselves put into my relationship (being overly concerned for my love one to the point of acting parental, looking my partner and placing emotions to her facial expressions which are dellusional, out right being an ass). The wonderous joy I can feel though is when I am in control of my emotions and the continous non stop energy. The ability to turn on and off emotions like a light switch.......these sensations almost an amazing gift from a higher power. Although when control is lost, I am finding myself leaning toward the more negative and harsher side of my person. This in turn causing enough of a concern for me to amend the person I am and to not be this forbearing presense on the one I love.

If anyone feels as I do or have dealt with these situations, please share with me how you have come to curb any bad tendancies/habits that are corrosive to a relationship. I do this out of my heart and only ask as not to be a burdern to those who have read this elaborate post.

:wtf2
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
I would also suggest honesty with your friend, Britz. Tell her you were hurt that she ignored these important events and that you believe friendships are mutual caring.

I am mentally ill.....but I only talk about it with others who have similar illnesses or problems...for numerous reasons.

Don't feel bad that you can't really understand her experience, how could you? Nor are you her therapist.

I admit I am self-involved. But I don't expect others to be all about me.
When I am ill, it is best for me if others are non-judgmental and allow me to work on my own wellness, which often means just letting me be.
I get really annoyed when someone decides to "cheer me up" by trying to insist that we go out on activities when I am not well enough to do much of anything and am struggling with basics, like eating and sleeping. It's nice if they ask me if there is anything I need. When I am really sick, just picking up some foodstuffs is a real blessing to me. There are times I could cry over the kindness of someone just bringing me a big mac and a drink. And a fish sandwich for later.

just my thoughts,
live
Well said, i can identify with struggling with the basics My sponser, God Bless him, really struggles with understanding being mentally ill and will do his best to try to cheer me up by suggesting activities and action and doesnt get it when i will not leave the house when its where i find comfort during depression, even if it is like sitting in a brown jacuzzi.