Notices

Question about 5-HTP

Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Question about 5-HTP

Has anyone had an experience with this natural drug? While I know it's natural, I also know it is a drug and realize that I can't treat it as something completely benign.
My husband has been taking St. John's Wort for a little while and it has been helping him a lot but lately it doesn't seem to be as effective. I've read that a person should not be on it for a long time.

He would like to try 5-HTP, recommended by a friend, but I just thought I would ask if anyone knew anything about it or had any comment.

Thanks.

hugs,
marteen
Old 05-18-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi friend!
I have heard of it..... I used to use all that kind of stuff and now do not because they aren't regulated as drugs you can never know the strength or quality of 'natural' remedies. I know that lots of people may disagree, but that is how I have 'evolved' from being into all kinds of vitamins and supplements- now I eat healthy foods and if I need something I get an rx for it..... they aren't always safe either,but at least have been studied and proven to work.
oh.... I emailed you earlier tonight! please write back and fill me in on what's up
cmc
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Martten,

My ex-abf took 5-htp for his depression. He had no side effects. He took 3 a day, for the first few weeks it seemed to help...then he hit a wall...stopped for a week, and went back on it...again it seemed to help. That's all I know about it.

Dolly
Old 05-23-2006, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Marteen

I take SAMe which is similar to 5-HTP in that it is not regulated and can be bought at a health store, my doc tested some natural remedies for depression and that was the one which agreed with me, I have been taking it for 10 days, have no side effects and am feeling a little better.

I just wanted to offer it as another alternative (I googled it to get more info), kava-kava is also used for depression.

Love, Rose
Old 05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I iked it, but as with the St JOhns wort after a few months it was less effective, so I ended up getting a prescribed SSRI from the doctor. (One of the ones you dont feel the effects until youve been on it for a long time, so no addictive tendencies.)
Herbs have all seemed to eventually lose their efectiveness, which reminds me of addictive drugs. Also a side effect is heart palpitations(Not good if the person could have ever done heart damamge by cocaine use.)
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

5HTP is not a drug but a natural amino acid. it is the precurser to seratonin and helps level out your natural seratonin levels which affect mood and depression. if you are taking 5HTP you should not take anti-depressents or other MAO inhibitors simultaneously nor should you take st.jonhs wort at the same time. It has been shown to be even more effective than anti-depressants.

You can read about it on the internet... google it... i will paste some sights below... you can buy it at any health food store or Vitamin Shoppe.

http://www.immunesupport.com/5htp.htm

http://www.herbshop.com/5htpfact.htm

http://www.biosynergy.com/5htp.htm

http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...hemistry_2.asp
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Originally Posted by eire rose
kava-kava is also used for depression.

Watch this one because of possible liver damage or so I have read.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

L-Tryptophan is better than 5-HT.

for relaxation, try theanine
Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been taking these pills called sleep naturally. They are non addictive but I just realized they have 10 mg of 5-http in them and I am taking 20mg of paxil a day. I haven't noticed anything with them reacting but I haven't told my doc that I am taking them because I didn't check what was in them until recently. Anyone think it is a problem if I keep taking them they do seem to help slightly with falling asleep and I love how I am not groggy the next day?