Notices

depakote withdrawal?

Old 03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

depakote withdrawal?

hey all--
hope evryones well--i was wondering if anyone know if there is depakote withdrawl--i take it for ocd--i was happy to find it was much cheaper at costco and so i could afford it but due to poor financial planning, i ran out before next check thursday--does anyone know if there are depakote withdrawals?--symptoms?i feel sort of out of sorts and shaky--i dont know if its from that or not--i take 500 mgs a dAY-- and the past 4 days took 250 mgs when i realized i didnt have enough till next check and now im out till thursday--any experience with this out there?--thanks guys!!!take care all
laura
Old 03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From the information I have, it is not safe to stop Depakote suddenly, however it sounds like you have kind of decreased it slowly the last few days. The shakiness/dizziness might be from stopping it, I don't know. Everyone responds to it differently. The biggest concern is it that it can induce seizures, however this is usually for people taking Depakote for a seizure disorder.

Have you called your doctor about this? He may be able to give you some samples from the office to hold you over.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would check on samples also. I take depakote for bipolar and have went through withdrawl when like a silly goose I decided I didn't need meds I was fine. (part of the illness in mania) Like ranae said it is anti seizure meds but my doc told me one could go in seizures by suddenly stopping it. So at least you have tapered.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

thanks guys--
luckily my hubbie was able to get a bit of money from someone who he did sprinkler work for so i was able to pay for 8 pills until our paycheck--they will let you pay for partial prescrips at our pharmacy if you cant afford the whole thing at once--so i think ill be ok--i am a recovering alkie and i have been thru truly HORRIFYING withdrawls from alcohol in my past and the thought of any withdrawlsa freaks me out--i always remember the alcohol withdrawls of the past--lol--take care
Laura
Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great Rose I am glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't konw about the withdrawal, but I know depakote is darn $$. Glad you found the cash to get it again. I am so thankful we have insurance to help pay the cost of the Depakote. I would be about $250 a month if not.