Notices

hmmmm....passive aggressive???

Old 02-26-2006, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hmmmm....passive aggressive???

Hi, y'all....i'm new...bear with me, please.

I've been seeing a shrink for about 3 years (after falling apart in my internist's office...it was either the shrink or the loony bin...lol)
anyway.....he just recently described me as being 'passive-aggressive'.... after 3 looooonnnnnggggg years!

Problem is...I have no idea what that is! Anyone else been diagnosed as such??
Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this might give you some insight...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000943.htm
Old 02-26-2006, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, bikewench!! i appreciate your reply.

I feel I don't really fit the description of a PA totally....guess I'll take it up with the ole Doc on Wednesday...

Can I ask....do you take any meds for depression?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the reason i asked about taking meds for depression....i've been taking one kind after another for the past 3 years...they will help for a while...but then i'm back to square one it seems....i've been on Lexapro the longest and it certainly helps to contain my "outbursts"....but i have no ups or downs...everything is just "level"....those around me see to think it's great...easier on them not to deal with me at my "worst".... but i'm not happy....i'm not sad....."i'm alive but not living"....
anyone else feel this way??
Old 02-26-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

interesting enough...a friend spent about 30 minutes describing passive-agressive behavior to me last night.

She said it's basically when people show emotions (usually disapproval) without generally saying any words that would indicate the person's disapproval.

Like my dad, for example when I was a teenager, would always sigh and look down and shake his head and other things when he didn't like what he's just heard or seen. Instead of saying...would you please not leave your books on the table any more.....what he would do is when he walked into the room he would stop at the sight of the books on the table and sigh and look down shaking his head and then walk off.

When he did and does do that....if say I'm sitting right there in the room....it feels horrible to have him do that...as if saying what a disqusting and horrible daughter he has when he could have simply and kindly reminded me not to do that any more.

Make sense?
He didn't SAY anything!
But what he says without words is a LOT more harsh on the recipricant than words would be....yet you can never say back to them, "But dad you told me not to put my books on the table any more!"

See....this way....how frustrating it is to the recipricant?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks, shutterbug....

the more i read about PA and think about it...i may be more that way than i realized... could be why i used to drive hubby crazy...lol
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

keep us posted.....and WELCOME