Notices

Wellbutrin SR question

Old 02-16-2006, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Question Wellbutrin SR question

Hey, good people, got a question for ya!

Do you know, or have you heard anything about Wellbutrin SR loosing it's effectiveness after time? I have read where the SSRI's have done so. And lately, I've been under quite a bit of stress.
My counselor speculated, based on the SSRI's, that Wellbutrin may also loose its effectiveness over time. But, Wellbutrin is not an SSRI; is chemically different than an SSRI and effects different neurotransmitters than do the SSRI's.

Thanks for any knowledge/thoughts you may have. I've tried to research this on the net, but, cannot find anything to support this thesis.

Shalom!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I haven't heard anything about Wellbutrin specifically.
For me though...when I was on Effexor for a year it seemed to totally loose all effectiveness on me. I went off in and spent about 6 months to a year off it, but nothing seemed even close to effective....that was until I went BACK onto the Effexor and added Wellbutrin to the mix.

So maybe my body/mind needed a little break from the med to start working again? Or maybe the Effexor isn't doing anything for me and it's all the Wellbutrin working so well? Or maybe my major depression just naturally ended (or coming to an end).

I don't know. There seems to be so many variables to consider about EVERYTHING. Who can really know for sure? But I have heard that many loose their effectiveness over time...but that's about all I've heard or read.

Sorry..
Old 02-18-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, Shutter;
And don't ever be sorry about sharing your ESH.
You bring up important points about multiple variables. What did you use when you went off the effexor? Is that an SSRI?
Thanks again!
Shalom!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I PM'd this, but I thought I'd share it here also. I added a few things to it, so it still may be worth reading HT.

-p

-----

People can run into plataeus on any anti-depressant. Sometimes the doctor can tweak the dosage and that will kick start you.

*technical stuff*
The good thing about Wellbutrin SR is that it isn't specifically an SSRI. It is actually considered a NDRI, which acts on norepinephrine and Dopamine as primaries, and serotonin more secondarily. However, scientists actually don't know how it exactly works, but they know those three (or more) areas are effected. People who have problems with serotonin could have less problems with an NDRI because Serotonin is not the primary NT.

*end of technical stuff*

You also need to take into account environmental factors and short term factors. Any changes to dosage/frequency/type of medication is more long term because of needing to re-adjust to the dosage/frequency, and also the tapering off/starting up of medications, etc.

Think of it like trying to make the perfect soup with constantly changing ingredients. You can do it, but it takes the right ingredients, the right recipe, and some time.

So I guess my answer is to talk to your doctor b/c they can better assess why you are having the changes. It could be one or more things.

-p
Old 02-18-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

THanks again, Pedi!
It's worth repeating for sure. I'm certain others have concerns in this area too. And you make a very good point about long term vs short term causes for change.
For *my* particular situation, I think it's far more environmental causes of stress. So, for now, I'll stay as I am and work on coping skills again. Since I'm doing all I can as far as busting the stress; and I cannot change my work environment; I have to change my perception; my thoughts about it. Recognize the dean as an *ss; recognize the principal as an ineffective boob; and the kiddies as being horribly abused by the enabling that's going on. And somehow, try to distance myself from the daily realities of this farce of a school.
Life will go on.

Thanks again, Pedi!
Shalom!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Teach...well my doc switched me from Effexer to Cymbalta (basically the same) and then I weened off the Cymbalta. I wasn't really off the Cymbalta for very long before I went back on the Effexor.