Notices

Going to see my doctor tomorrow & need advice

Old 01-08-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to see my doctor tomorrow & need advice

I'm going to see a new doctor tomorrow and plan on asking her for some help. First of all I want to quit smoking and was going to ask her for Wellbutrin. BUT I read the other thread here on Wellbutrin and see that it can cause irritibility. That is a big problem for me since my current irritibility is another thing I want to talk to her about.

I've been sober for almost 7 months and seem to becoming more and more irritible, not less. I've ALWAYS been an irritible person but this has got to STOP. My kids are having to suffer because I blow up at the drop of a hat.

Soooo....I'm not so sure I want to try Wellbutrin. I do know however, that when I stop smoking It's probably not going to help with the irritibility. What would you do? Has anyone else had this issue come up?

Another thing....I've recently lost 26.5 lbs and I do NOT want to put it back on because of some med.

Help!?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Lively...

I'm totally unfamiliar with the medication aspect... other than self.. ;o)... but...
it's a careful tiptoe for me every day as well around moving myself forward in a good manner.

Irritability is an issue with me as well...
and I know how unpleasant I can be to be around..
so.. I had to start to look into the thoughts in my head.. and what they were telling me and begin to sort that all out.. so that I could start driving my bus... and not have my bus driving me.. ;o)

Living a bountiful.. workable.. satifying day takes work and conscious thought.

It's an interesting dance..
but.. I love it way more than the one I WAS doing. ;o)

For myself though... around staying level.

I come to SR lots...
use my 12 program tools as much as needed...
and ...

when my "thing" is in doubt...
I just toss cloying amounts of love out in the hopes of drowning my other behvior out...
and .. failing that...
I'm just hoping that by doing that.. everyone else simply won't notice my yuck.. ;o)
Old 01-09-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, if anyone cares, my doctor put me on Paxil CR today. She said if that made my anxiety better then we'll talk about adding the Wellbutrin. So we'll see if it helps.

Oh, and thank you Bikewench for your thoughts. I'm working hard at figuring out what's going on in my head.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Lively...

We care.. ;o)
Glad ya came back to let us know what happened...
I'm not familiar with Paxil.. but.. I'm sure someone that is will respond at some point.

These are just some assorted links around anger/irritability.

http://www.pe2000.com/anger.htm

http://www.twilightbridge.com/stress...erthecliff.htm

http://www.coping.org/anger/content.htm

Understanding anger/irritability goes a long ways to helping stop it.
Making amends always helps me as well... for... even though I can't stop spewing my stuff sometimes... saying I'm sorry really takes the sting off for the other person... and it really helps me to try harder/do it differently.

In many cases.. it's simply something we are thinking or doing that is causing our psyche to slide off base.

Just keep workin..
it can only help.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lively
I was on paxil at one time. It was probably the best med I've taken as far as calming me down. I suffer from irritability too but when I was on paxil things did not seem to get under my skin as easy. I really felt at peace. I don't take it because of the sides but everyone is different. I do take wellbutrin now and I can say it does not have the same calmimg effect as paxil, but it is better than nothing. Good luck with the med, sobriety, and quitting smoking.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took Wellbutrin for a little while. It made me feel more stimulated. So mention your irritability to the doctor, see what he/she has to say. Quitting smoking would be a good thing, so you would only be on Wellbutrin temporarily. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hi Lively! Sorry for not responding sooner. I've just started posting in this mental health section of the board and I'm catching up on threads.

Just wanted to know how you're doing so far on the Paxil. I took that years ago, then bounced to Prozac, then decided painkillers made me happy, so I ran with those *doh!* until seven months ago (we have similar clean times). I'm currently taking Wellbutrin and Effexor. The combo of Wellbutrin and Effexor seems to be working really well. Tolerable side effects and I'm starting to feel much better.

I wish you the best with quitting smoking. I know how hard that is. Did it in '02. Hang in there, Sweetie! I wish your doctor would have given you the Wellbutrin along with the Paxil (if those two work together ... of course I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt ... hehe)! Hopefully he will later. When do you see him again?

I guess the best thing I can suggest is to give the Paxil time. Most anti-depressants take a month or so to start working. My Wellbutrin didn't really kick in until my fourth month! I almost gave up, but I'm so glad I didn't. Keep posting your progress, k? I'm really interested in how you're doing.

Kelly
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

bikewench...thank you for the links. I'll definately check them out.

tkdan....mind if I ask you what kind of side effects you had from the Paxil? I've read some horror stories about weight gain and the awful withdrawal from the drug when you stop taking it.

meli2005 & Time4Change....my doctor is going to probably put me on Wellbutrin next month. She wanted to see if the Paxil would help with my anxiety/irritibility first rather than try 2 drugs at once right from the start. My next appt. isn't until 2/27, but I suppose it takes a few weeks anyway for the Paxil to kick in. So far I don't feel too much different but it's only been 11 days. I do feel a little more tired than usual and perhaps a bit calmer. Probably because I'm tired!! lol I'll just be patient and see how I feel in a few weeks.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

I just had a 30 day visit with my Doc re my Wellies and he said that the side effects that I noted had all either gone away after a very short while or would shortly.

Wellbutrin is a very well tolerated anti-depressant, which is also used for smoking cessation. It has the benefit of being the ONLY anti-D which counteracts the other anti-D effects of sexual problems and weight gain. In other words, you can expect a high probablity of weight LOSS and Libido GAIN with Wellbutrin.

I'd go ahead and give it a try. Here's some more info at remedyfind.com.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Lively,

In my experience, Wellbutrin is an "activating" med that can increase anxiety and irritability. For some this is a short-term side effect, for others it is something that causes them to go off of it. As we all made up differently biochemically, you won't really know how you will do with it until you've given it a try. Hopefully it will be a success.

Paxil is a very effective anti-depressant that is rated highly in curbing anxiety, but, as my doctor told me, it is "notorious" for promoting weight gain. For reasons unknown, out of all of the SSRIs, Paxil has the highest incidence for weight gain. Again, we are all different, so you might not gain a pound on it. If you do see a weight gain (despite no change in diet/exercise), you can always switch to another med. Hopefully you will hit the nail on the head with the Paxil and, eventually, Wellbutrin.

Just to note - on average, it takes an average of 4-6 weeks to see the theraputic benefit from these meds, so be patient. In other words, don't throw in the towel if you don't "feel better" in three weeks. If, however, you don't see any improvement in this time, you might need to increase the dosage. If this doesn't work, then it is probably time to throw in the towel and move on to another med (i.e. Zoloft, Lexapro or Prozac).

Good luck!