Notices

Wellbutrin effects

Old 01-01-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Wellbutrin effects

Okay, I finally became willing to go to 'any length' and visited a very highly respected psychiatrist who specializes in treating addicts. He put me on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. I was supposed to take 1 per day in morning, then go to 2 after a week, with return visit in a month.

Right off the bat, I experienced some of the side effects, nothing bothersome except the weird dreams and tinnitus. Called Dr. and he said to just stay at the 1 pill a day for the first month.

But how can I tell if this stuff is working? It's been 2 weeks now and I'm still obsessing, depressed, cry a lot, etc. I don't understand what this is supposed to be doing for me or when it will kick in.

I know you guys arent' Dr's and I will trust his opinion, but could someone please share their experience with this drug or the process of sorting out which anti-depressant worked for them?

Thanks
Michael
Old 01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Hi Michael!

Try not to be *too* discouraged. In the grand scheme o' things, 2 weeks isn't long enough to "feel" the helpful effects yet. Psych meds usually take 4-6 weeks before their effect is really noticeable. They're not a "quick fix" - a fact that I find seriously annoying at times!

Hang in there and CALL the doc if it's getting too unbearable!!

Blessings,
Blue
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Micheal)))
Ditto to what BM said. 4-6 weeks.
Because of the dreams and the tinitus, the doc told you to wait the month, to see if the symptoms would subside. They probably will. But, in case they don't, doc doesn't want to make things worse. Are they still bothering you? If not, call and let the doc know. Then, you can get onto the full dose of 2 150 mg per day.
I'm on welbutrin. I have no side effects, but, did when I first started taking it. It produced a "speed" like feeling. Very hyper. Today, it's not so bad, but, a bit of anxiety still, now and then.
I hope you feel better soon. In the meantime, while you're waiting for the doctor to answer, be sure to take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. That will make a world of difference. So, what can you do for yourself in each area?
Be good to yourself, and don't hesitate to call your doc or to post here for more help.
Shalom!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael,

I had to try 3 different anti-depressants to get one that worked for me and then had to adjust the dose of that one a couple of times. It's surprising how a change of dose can make a big difference. For me, it was at the 3 week point that I noticed it working. It seems that it takes a lot of patience to get an antidepressant that works right, but it is worth it. It can make a big difference in your life.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for writing in all. I get the 'speedy' effects and find myself with lower appetite and more energy- all good things. In fact, when it peaks, I feel a little stoned, not sure if that's good or not LOL.

But I was wondering more what the therapeutic effects will be so that I'll know them when they come. It feels weird waiting 4-6 weeks for something and not knowing what I 'm waiting for. Also, is this usually prescribed according to body weight or is there some EDIT 'absorbtion' factor in who is more sensitive, etc. I'm almost 300 lbs, so some logic says maybe I should need more medicine than a 125 pound person, but I suppose the brains are the same size so ???

I do think I'll call Dr. Tues and check in. The side effects aren't too bad, and if he initially wanted me on 300mg, I should make an effort to get there. It's all good.

Michael
Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yes, in the beginning, I had that "stoned" effect too. That will end.
Therapeutic effects are such that we don't obsess on things. That's why it's so effective with smoke cessation. The bad thing is that I forget things easily, and have to write things down in my planner, or else! lol!
I can't speak to the weight thing. Talk to your doc about that.
This is not an SSRI; there is no "reuptake" to deal with welbutrin. It works on different neurotransmitters. Can't remember right now which ones.
See, I told ya it makes me forget things, LOL!

Good luck tomorrw when you call! Let us know how it's going.
Shalom!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think dopamine and one other one. NOT seratonin. I misused the 'uptake' work previously. Must have been reading too much medical jargon.

Good about the obsession thing. I have some problems in that area. I kinda wish this pill was one that killed the libido. Being single, I really could stand to forget about relations for a while.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

Actually, the SSRIs have the reputation for killing the libido. Welbutrin is good for those people who DON'T want that effect. Infact, Welbutrin XL is specifically designed for that purpose. It's got a cleaner molecule, my doc said. You only take that once a day. The SR, which is what I was refering to above, is a twice a day pill.

Shalom!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi ((( Roadie )))

I don't know about Welbutrin but I know when I took Prozac after coke addiction it did take about a month to kick in. I remember the day when all of a sudden I heard myself having a good attitude and I felt more balanced.
I am going to begin Welbutrin for cigarette cessation and so I am curious about it's effects and your journey with it. A girlfriend of mine did take it and she did say she felt stoned for a couple weeks.
Hang in there and it will get better.. don't think too much! lol
peace in 2006,
Michele
Old 01-01-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Michski and historyteach.

HT, I know Wellbutrin has less sexual side effects. What I meant was that I could stand to have some lessening of libido. It combines with a couple of my obsessions. I wish I didn't have sex to worry about.

Michski, I checked the Wellbutrin website for the side effects. Here's what I've got going on so far. At first, kind of a 'two puff' buzzy feeling, kinda dizzy and jumpy. Cleaned kitchen really well the first day. That feeling still exists for a couple hours when the SR dose is peaking. A bit of dry mouth, some appetite reduction (for some reason I'm craving real food, not McD's. I bought frozen vegs and made some soup this week). If you take the pill too late in the day, might have trouble sleeping, it does agitate a bit, so if you're the nervous type, it might not be for you.

The worst is the dreams. I'm having these really vivid, pretty horrible dreams. Like killing my ex-neighbors, a very horrible work experience, getting caught behind enemy lines in a war. Lots of death and stuff. Kinda spooky. Makes me a bit afraid to go to sleep until I'm really really tired of an evening.

But I'm getting by on much less sleep than before. Depressed I was sleeping 8-10 hours at night with a pretty common 2 hour nap in afternoon. Now it's like 6-7 at night and can't sleep in the day at all. So lots is getting done.

Sexually, I hate to say but libido is way up. Won't go into details. But it's not easy being single on this stuff, at least I'm having trouble.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Roadie.

I am taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg daily. I did not have the tinnitus you speak of nor the dreams, although I had a bad case of the tremors. My hands would just shake like crazy.
The Dr upped my Rx to 300mg per day and it got worse.
I stuck it out and that side effect has gone away, but Dr decreased to 150 per day.

The effect you will not notice immediately, or even over an extended period of time.
One day you will be going along with your Activities of daily living and you will notice how you feel... You will feel better and realize it...almost like an out of the blue thing.

Best of luck to you and hang in there. My best to you!
Wolf
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

When I started on 150 mg....I couldn't tell any difference, but when I was bumped up to 300mg after a month or two...then I started feeling better. The thing about anti-d's is that none of them are magic pills and usually the change from worse, to not so bad, to better is a slow and gradual one so it sometimes is hard to tell if the new meds are working. That's why some people keep mood charts where you mard down how you feel each day, noting any med changes and including if there's been changes in sleep or appetite or whatever. It can help you visualize how you have felt over the past few months....and if anything changed after starting the new meds.

Give it a little more time and then go up to the 300 dose. If you are still feeling pretty depressed after 4 more weeks then I would ask your doc to put you on a second anti-d.

I seem to be doing better now that I'm on Effexor and Wellbutrin....plus if you got on a second anti-d that has causes a decrease in sex drive then maybe it would help level your out.

Mitski....one suggestion about taking it for smoking cessation....don't expect it to cut your desire to smoke right away...that also takes 4-6 weeks. Then when you start wanting less and less and are almost not smoking any more....make up your mind not to pick up another cigerette. I typically smoke a pack and a half a day and got to a point where I was only smoking about 2-3 cigs a day. I wish I would have made myself quit at that point. Instead, I kept smoking and my body got use to everything and I'm a smoking nearly a pack a day again. Some people have even suggested supplimenting the med with nicotine patches to help with the cravings even more, but I would use the lowest dose of patch...or use the gum instead.....Best of luck!

Roadie....also remember that meds work differently for everybody. I've been on numerous ones and it's pretty much the luck of the draw in my book (depending on how severe the depression is).

Hugs,
Old 01-01-2006, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

Michael;
I understand what you're saying about the sexual effects. All I can say is, that too shall pass.
As for smoking, welbutrin is not a nicotine replacement therapy. It works for smoke cessation by stopping the obsession for a smoke. When we get a craving, it doesn't last long. So, using the patch, gum or inhalor is no problem. I'm using the welbutrin, ( aka zyban), the 21 mg patch and gum along with counseling. There is no containdacation. And there's lots of information on the nicotine forum if anyone is interested.
Wish you well.
Shalom!
Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Unfort. antidepressants can take a while to work. I would give it at least 3 weeks. If say after three weeks or more, you don't feel any better, then give the doctor a call. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know it is so hard to be depressed.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Roadie,,

I'm with Wolfstarr on this one.. My doctor started me on Wellbutrin SR and added Zoloft to help combat some of the side effects.. Some doctors do things like that. They will give a med, and add a different one to combat the side effects of the first one. The 2 meds together worked very well for me. The zoloft also for alot of people tends to hurt the libido, so mixed with the Wellbutrin, that would calm it down. But I am no Doctor.. Just giving my 2 cents..

But, like Wolfstarr, the doctor started me on 150 and the side effects were a bit, even with the zoloft, although, much more tolerable with zoloft. But, he wanted me to bump up to 30, then to 450. I went to 300, try to follow the advice, I did as I was told, I was shaking all over, having all sorts if effects, but then bumped up to 45 like a fool, LOL,, that didn't last but a day or 2 and I was back down to 300, and it wasn't long and I was back down to 150. We found that 150 was what worked best for me. So you see, sometimes it's a matter of just working with the med to see what works, and what doesn't.

Just be sure to keep your doctor posted on all of your effects, both positive and negative. I think it's best to try to write things down.. I try to do that. Everyday, as I feel effects of meds when they are new. That way, when you go to the doctor, or call, you have a run down of how it's going. Not just trying to go by your recent memory, which in some cases is skewed by the meds..

Just some experience, and suggestions.. Hope maybe something helps
I know how rough ti can be starting a newer med. But ya know, it really can be worth it to work with a doc. even though it can be frustrating at times trying to find the right med.

Hang in there.. Be sure to listen to you doc, you'll get through this,, you'll feel better..

Becky
Old 01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Therapy might be a good thing to add to the medication. They say there is better effect when therapy is involved. I do hope you start to feel better, but if the Wellbutrin doesn't work, then there are lots of other drugs to try. I tried Wellbutrin, it did not help me. But I did find help with a drug called Cymbalta.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It really does take several weeks for the psychotropic drugs to stabilize. In my experience it takes 8 weeks before it is fully effective. And then we had to tinker around finding the right cocktail.

Welbutrin is unique in that it is one of the more "activating" anti-depressants. Because I am anxiety ridden it would not be good for me.

As someone here said, one day you just notice....I am functioning and feeling a whole lot better, it just slips up on you. Some studies show that it takes up to 6 months before they are fully effective. The most common mistake is that people then decide they are well and cured and stop taking them. Or that they quit because of the sexual side effects.

The vivd weird dreams are enough to really monitor. We all need restful sleep. I have fantasies of waking up feeling refreshed! But I did switch off the drugs that gave me vivid disturbing dreams.
As in much of life, things are a trade off. I know which drug, trazadone, which I am taking in addition to Lexapro and Xanax is the one the gives me the best sleep and the most energetic wake-up. But I cut my dose sometime back, I can't tell you why, but I know to re-adjust to the higher dose I will go through a minimum of a month feeling groggy and able to fall asleep just sitting down in the bathroom. And I have taken a new and challenging job that is too important to mess up. Even at the lower dose I must take it early in the evening and go to bed very early, so I can get up and moving in the morning.

Y'all are making me sort of want to go on Welbutrin. My meds are a must, but my libido no longer exists.

live
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Without getting too sexually detailed here, can I ask how much is too much? I'm totally single, and had a pretty good fantasy life before Wellbutrin. Now I feel like a 19 year old, thinking about it all the time. Which is not necessarily good for me because I have Lust as a major character defect. I don't think I'm in danger of any bizarre activity and don't think I need to act it out with someone or even seek a partner, because I know that'll be dangerous to my recovery.

Perhaps it's something best left for the Dr., but if anyone has any experience to share....
Old 01-02-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by meli2005
Therapy might be a good thing to add to the medication. They say there is better effect when therapy is involved. I do hope you start to feel better, but if the Wellbutrin doesn't work, then there are lots of other drugs to try. I tried Wellbutrin, it did not help me. But I did find help with a drug called Cymbalta.

Roadie,,

Like Meli said,, are you receiving therapy along with this med?? That is the most important thing. I believe.

Like my therapist told me,, they can give me all the anxiety medication in the world, but if I can' get the level of stress down in my life, none of it is going to ever work. Same type of analogy,, They can give you all of the anti-depressants in the world, but unless you get some type of therapy, the meds alone just don't do the job. It's combination therapy.

I am also a little curious,, did you tell the addictionologist about your sexual stuff you have going on, before he prescribed you this med?? Because this does tend to have that effect on people I believe?? If you didn't maybe you should just run it pass him.. Maybe he might want to just look at adding another medication to the Wellbutrin.

Becky
Old 01-02-2006, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input. I talked to a very nice sister in the program after the meeting today. She said I need to learn to love myself and forgive myself. She recommended that there is a therapist in AA who might help me.

Of course I know this guy, he's my great grandsponsor, the same guy who kept trying to get me to do the antidepressants. He was right all along, of course, but never pushed me too hard, just 'you might look into some medication for that depression' suggestion. Very wise guy. He's got like 20 years in.

So the tremendous news is that if I were to start therapy with him, he's got three years of background on my story that I wouldn't have to pay for! How's that for a God thing.

And yes, I spoke to my Psych about my lust problem and that I had no partner. He said that self-satisfaction is okay, that I still needed the stress reduction and even with single people, there is no need to do entirely without the sex urge. But I will come clean with him and tell him about the effects it's had on me. Perhaps a different or secondary medicine might be best.

I upped to 300mg (what he wanted me on in the first place), figuring that I should just toughen up and withstand the side effects in order to see true results from Wellbutrin. Well the tinnitus is horrible today, I'm flush, and kinda headachy. I'm gonna stick to it for a few days to see if I can take it. Tried to call there today, but it's holiday.