Notices

bipolar daughter with panic attacks

Old 12-24-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bipolar daughter with panic attacks

hi. I am writing to ask to share help and experience with me on the subject of mental health. I am sober, single mom. My daughter, 25, lives away from home, but is now with me. We live on opposite coasts, but are very loving and close. We have a good relationship and communicate openly. Her father is an active A, has untreated BiPolar and his entire family also suffers. On my side, there are cases of alcoholism and same, BPD.
My daughhter is against drugs, she lives very clean and eats well, takes the best care of herslf as she can but I see she is needing something else. After about 4 good days her pattern is to meltdown, become teary, then it accelerates into full blown panic. She fears she is dying, and then she begins to make travel plans since she feels she is in a haunted house or the wrong coast, or you name it: its an external cause according to her. Right now, she is on her 6th swing back from West Coast to east Coast.
She has zero money, and she is getting on a train (she is unable to fly) BACK to Washingto state where she is moving in to a cottage in a rural town that she has never been to, with people she does not know that she found on Craigs list. She does not have a drivers license ( more anxiety rtelated choices and limitations) so she will not be mobile. I am super worried but i work my spiritual faith over this, yet, I needc to hear from all of you with your asdvice. I cannot stop her, buty I keep offering her support, and love. We hug all the time, and the channels are open between us, except when it comes to going to a doctor and or meds.

Help. please.
Thanks! MC
Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I don't have much to say except it seems like maybe her problems are more paranioa related (then move into anxiety from the paranoid thoughts), but i'm no doc or expert.

I have had slight paranoia and did well on Seraquel (spelling?), except it made me crave sugar pretty feirce....

All you can really do is tell her your loving thoughts and concerns and she if she will go to a new doctor or something and tell them about your concerns for her.

Hang in there...
Old 12-24-2005, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

****{MC}}}
Sounds painfully like me + MY mom - 'cept I'm 47 now.
I was diagnosed bi-polar when I was 23yo, have been sober in AA for almost 14 yrs.

Not sure I have any wisdom to offer you - except to say that my mom's unfailing love and emotional support has meant the WORLD to me these past 25 yrs. It has meant ALOT to me to have her acceptance.

It also causes me great pain (anxiety!) to know that my actions hurt her and cause her to worry about me. In the past it's been extremely difficult to share info with her about my meds, my pdoc, my counselor - for that reason. Especially when I'm being non-compliant.

For me, becoming functional in spite of my BP, has been alot like getting sober has been. I had to 'hit bottom', I had to be so scared and full of pain that I was FINALLY WILLING to do whatever it takes to get the BP 'in control'.

Well THAT'S not very helpful and supportive is it?!?

I'm a mom too. My son is 28yo and has bouts of major depression. It's sheer agony to 'watch' - ALL I can do is give him my emotional support, my praise for what a fantastic person he REALLY is - - - and maybe suggest he put a call in to his pdoc. It's HARD! I'd do anything to be able to "FIX" him!

And then I begin to understand how my mom must feel at times.

The love and unwavering acceptance of one's mom, means soooo much. It doesn't always *feel* like it's very much (to the mom) - but I think it's ALWAYS more than that.

Say a prayer for her, trust her enough to let her fall and figure it out - (cuz no matter how many people have told me things over the years, I STILL had to figure it out for myself) - love her, be willing to listen without judging -

and MOST of all, take care of YOU. You're doing so much MORE than what you realize!

Bright Blessings,
Blue
Old 12-24-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Miss,

Gosh I am sorry, I just can't post right now, I have to leave, but I am Bipolar, and suffer from anxiety, with terrible panic attacks, and have for years. I am 37 years old.. I will respond when I can it might be late tonight, or tomorrow,.. Please check back.. I would love to post back and forth to you.. I read most of your post..

Hang in there..

Love,
becky