Notices

Methadone w/bipolar meds

Old 11-20-2005, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone w/bipolar meds

I posted this in the substance-abuse forum, and someone suggested I post it here, too, so here goes:

I'm seeking information to help a friend who is paying over $100 per week (which she cannot afford) to a private methadone maintenance program. She says that she had previously used a state-funded program (which she could afford) in Massachusetts, but was told she could only continue with them if she agreed to stop taking the medication her physician had prescribed for bipolar disorder - that she could not have other medications in her system while receiving methadone from a state-funded facility.

This seems like it can't be true - there must be some huge misunderstanding. Does Massachusetts (or any other state) really require a person to give up medication that treats a mental illness before they can be treated for addiction? What about the fact that more than half of bipolar patients have addiction disorders?

Are there any Massachusetts methadone patients out there who understand what this is about, or who can point me toward an accurate source of info?
- Thanks -
Old 11-21-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Mental Health Board. I don't have the answer but, you were directed to a good place. We have many people that have both experence and knowledge of you issues. Along with that help, you might want to go on line to the medication she is on. They have lists of side affects and things to stay away from. They also have a contact section that you can ask your question. Also, you might want to talk to a pharmacist and ask their opinion. This is just a guess but, some times treatments can render medications useless, or have severe side affects. Anyway, welcome and I'm confident that you'll find help from my wonderful friends here.