Notices

Sad

Old 11-16-2005, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Unhappy Sad

I've been under a great deal of stress lately.

And as some of you know, I'm in a new job-temporary. I had the interview, but it went poorly. I know why it did, and it's ok. I won't get the results until tomorrow at a staff meeting. I think that sucks, and I may not attend. I don't need to be publically humiliated on top of everything else. But, I will still be in this position, until the school department can find a permanent position for me. So, I'll be there for a while.

But, here's the real issue. My classroom is an internal room. I never get to see daylight. Even if the door is open, I can only see another wall. And, I work all periods. I have no free period for prep, or to escape the room. No fresh air; no sunlight. All day. Every day.

I've always had a slight issue with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think the classroom is contributing to the stress I'm dealing with. I know it contributes to depression, but, I've not heard if it does for stress too.

Anyone know? And do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Shalom!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HUGS!
You are such an outstanding educator, you deserve much better!
More hugs,
Tena/Live

and if I recall correctly, yes...depression and anxiety often, more often than not go hand in hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps a sun lamp for your desk area?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

teach - i never thought about the lack of window situation contributing to stress or anxiety, but that's an interesting idea. i too work in a room without any windows and more often than not, do not get up and take a walk to where i can see sunlight or get fresh air as much as i should. for me the no window thing worked because i also have a lightning phobia so if i can't see when it is storming i am better off. so i guess it works both ways for me - if there is a storm it's a good thing, otherwise i need to get up and take a walk to a window for a few minutes.

((teach))hope your stress level goes down and you have a peaceful day!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes...

get a "day" light...
and how about a "nature" player... that makes all kinds of peaceful, fresh, nature sounds.
... some greenage on the ole desk...
a few posters of some appealing landscapes to take the minds eye awayyyyyy......

Schmooze the mind.. ;o)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, Tena!

Mateo, That's a good idea. I'll find out tomorrow if I have the job or not. If so, I'll get one of those lamps. I hear they are quite good. Thanks!

Thanks, CW! But, tell me;do you have lots of lightening storms in your area?

Bike, do you mean "yes" it DOES contribute to stress levels going higher?
I always have had plants in my room, but, with no lights, I am not going to bring them in to die. I do have nature type pictures on the wall, though. And I think that the nature sounds would be too much for my kiddies -- the 9th graders anyway, to handle. I'll try it with a table top waterfall I have at home. But, although soothing, that doesn't solve the problem of no light and no fresh air.

The light might be the best thing!
Thanks for all your help. Appreciate it!
Shalom!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Teach...

Yes.. ;o)
I think your classroom is contributing to your mood fluxes...

and a desktop fountain is probably jsut the thing.

as to the plant...
you get that day light on your desk.. and a little greenage would like it just fine probably..

We all have things that sooth our spirit...
give us a lift..
you got enough on your plate without dealing with environmental drag..

whatever it takes Teach...
go to work for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is very real.
Ask anyone who suffers from it.
Some ideas to deal with it...
Obviously, get as much exposure to the sun as you can.
I hate the cold, but I force myself to get outside as much as possible during the hours that the sun shines. It really does make a difference. Bundle up and go for a walk before work (if it's light out) or on your lunch break. Which leads me to...
Exercise.
Beef up your exercise routine.
What? You don't have one? Then get one.
Exercise is proven to reduce stress and depression.
If you are not a person who likes to exercise try something low impact like walking.
Twenty minutes of walking a day will make a big difference in your energy level and will help if you have trouble sleeping.
Which leads me to...
Sleep.
Lack of sleep is a major cause of stress and depression.
Gearing down before bedtime with meditation, a hot bath/shower or some soothing music is a great way to decompress and get your body ready for sleep.
Also, increase your indoor light.
An extra lamp or two or some additional candles will help.
And be realistic.
We only have to deal with this weird shift in the light pattern for a few months.
By December 12th, the days have quit getting shorter. A few days after that, they start getting longer again.
And then it's just a few short months until Spring.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

I know it isn't the best for your skin, but I heard tanning beds are helpful.

just got this from the net:

"The good news is that increasing the amount of light to which a person is exposed each day easily treats Seasonal Affective Disorder. According to a series of studies published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, indoor tanning, when used wisely, is a safe and drug-free way to combat seasonal depression."
Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are a lot of artificial light treatments available for SAD.
Most of them are spendy.
If it's in your budget, they could be a good option to try.
If not, the sun is still available at a very affordable cost.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry about your problems. I was going to suggest placing little reminders around. Like a picture of a pleasent place, a calender of outdoor views, maybe a trinket of a vacation you took someplace. I've been doing this with my mother who is blind. Not items but, discriptions that trigger a pleasent memory. Maybe on they way to work listen to a CD of a group you've seen at a concert. Hope things get better. You're to nice for these things but, I have faith in your ability to get through it.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Gabe.....i thought SAD was the acronym for social anxiety disorder? Guess it's both.

Teach...i am not a green thumb and don't hardly get any light into my house, but i've been quite successful with those generic plants that everyone seems to have every where that grow long tenticle like stems and leaves. I just pinch off one of the tenticles and throw it in a glass container with water only and they do just fine without daylight.

I plan to do the tanning bed thing myself. And i agree with Gabe about the sleep and stuff too. i listen to a muscle relaxation cd at bedtime or some other natural or soothing sounds cds. I also have sleep apnea so i use a cpap machine.

Deep breathing excersizes also do a world of good for stress. I know of two techniques if you want me to share....?