Notices

A couple questions for y'all

Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A couple questions for y'all

Hello all -

My name's Sophia and I'm a sober alchololic and a freelance writer. I'm new to the boards, and hoping to utilize this community throughout my early sobriety (I've got 5 months next week!).

But, first things first (the slogans become a part of life, don't they?). I'm working on a paper about recovering alcoholics and addicts who use prescription drugs to aid in their recovery. If you have anything to say about this topic, I would love to hear from you! In the spirit on anonymity, I will ask for only your first name and last initial, which can be changed if my paper is viwed by eyes other than my own.

I'm particularly interested in Campral or naltrexone, or who are looking forward to trying Vivitrex when/if it is released. However, any opinions are desired and appreciated.

Please message me on the boards and we can talk in e-mail/AIM/phone...whatever works best for you. Thanks so much for your time.

Sophia
Old 09-23-2005, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR, Sophia!!!
And congratulations on 5 months!!! :loons

Others will be here shortly to help you, I'm sure. I just wanted to welcome you. My son is the addict in my life, so, I'm afraid I really couldn't help in your project. But, I wish you the best.
Shalom!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sophia, Welcome to SR. I've been on a few different meds but, mostly Paxil. Sometimes, I had a problem with what meds were to do. Meds without a program or recovery plan were a waste to me. After much explaining I finally understood my V A doctor and counselors. My medication only helps me deal with the issues. They themself won't make me feel better. I feel better now because I've dealt and continue to deal with life on life's terms. My feeling is that we think that because an antibiotoc cures an infection without help from us, that anti depression meds will do the same.
I had to become sort of a partner with my meds. I could compare it to meds for say diabetes. If you were to take these meds but, continue to eat the wrong foods or not loose weight then you wouldn't get better. In fact you'd get worse. Blood pressure, heart many meds require that you work with them. Well, for me the same was true with anti depressants. If I continued to do things that depressed me I'd stay depressed
Later or this weekend, I'm going to post some information I recieved at the VA Hospital. This might help you also. Many things on the list, if you continue to do, no medication will help. One time I asked my doctor for antibuse. He told me that without a program it would be a waste of time. It required a program or recovery plan to work best. Don W