Notices

Amitriptyline anyone??

Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Amitriptyline anyone??

Has anyone ever been on this?? I know all people react different to meds. but I still am looking for some experiences with it..
Thanks so much..

Love and thanks, Becky
Old 07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take it. It's uses are for insomnia, nerve pain, and mental depression. I take 50 mg a day at bedtime to prevent migraines. I had about 2 weeks at the beginning when I knocked me out pretty quickly after I took it, but I figure my body adjusted to it a bit, because now, I take it about 8 or 9 pm, and I go to bed on my own at 11. I've never had any bad side effects from it. Hope that helps a little.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Almost forgot, when I changed doctors, the new one had no problem with prescribing it for me...he said no street value, low to no rate of addiction, sounds pretty safe.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I've been on amitriptyline and other very similar drugs in the past. What else would you like to know, Becky? Do you know what dose they want you to be on? There's a huge range of doses depending on what's being treated and side effects largely depend on the dose used.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi, thanks much for the input. It sounds like it might actually be something for me, since I am struggling so much with insomnia. I REALLY look like death today, as I got very little sleep last night, and had been stressed last night.

I was prescribed 50mgs. But I am not to sure about that dose. I asked the pharmacist if it could be cut in half, he said with a pill splitter it could be done, and would not affect the med. With some meds being the type that you can not break or crush, this one is ok. So I might start at 25mgs. My body reacts really strong to medications. I seem to always ned much less than others, for the same affect. At least the majority of meds.
He prescribed it in place of the Zoloft that I decided I don't want to take. I think he thought I'd be ok, on the Zoloft, but I was to afraid of it, after the episode with the effexor. So anyway, he said iot will help me sleep, and it is supposed to help anxiety too.
I am not going to start taking it though, until after I hear the results of the tests I am having done,. For the Seretonin, and carcinoid syndromes. I just feel like I shouldn't add to the mix of everything.
I know I should not be my own doctor.... But this doctor also upped my Ativan to 4mgs. and I am totally not comfortable doubling that stuff. I believe I am ok on 2mgs. The 2mgs. is more than I have ever consistently taken, ever. There were times were maybe a day, or a couple of days I took 2 mgs. because the panic was so bad.. But never for longer than that. So I will stick witht he 2mgs.
It would be nice to start the amitriptyline and get everything under control, and be able to not medication hop the way I have been. from one antidepressant to the next..

Thanks all, Love ya Becky
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Oh, how about the issue of weight gain??
And did it make you lethargic? Some meds that put me to sleep, keep me sleeping for days, and although I could probably use that about now, I don't want to be sleeping that much, just at night. Did you feel welll rested and up, in the am ??
Thanks again
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also take amitriptyline 30 mgs per day and have for 5 years. It is my lifesaver. It is not addictive for me as I had to stop it once for a month and had no problems at all, except for the return of the depression. I take it for depression, pain and it helps a bit with insomnia. I have absolutely no side effects at all. I had really difficult side effects with Effexor and Paxil. So, for me it works great. You need to allow a week or so to begin to really feel the effects on depression. For me there is no 'left-over' feeling in the morning at all.

Love, Anna
Old 07-08-2005, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Run it by your doc or pharmacist first, but you may even want to start at a quarter of a tablet. Yes, it can cause weight gain in some people and lethargy in some, too, but if you "start low and go slow" you generally have less problem with side effects.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been on it for years, but only 10 mgs for sleep. It can cause weight gain-but as most of the people here replied-it didn't for them, so you never know. It makes me feel a little , uh, dizzy, if I take two of them. But I feel dizzy half the time anyway. Yeah, the only thing I noticed when I went off it, was a return of depression after about three days and it only lasted for a few days-but no horrible physical things. But I'm on a low dose. I hear some people are on 100mgs or more a day. You'd most likely have to taper then. It should help you sleep well. If you don't like it, you could look into trazadone. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

This is a old med...I am surprised there are so
many on this one. I was taking 25mg. and stopped
because I felt no relief...still crying jags and
depression. Maybe I should up it to
50 since it's working for everyone else.
And it is the only A.D. that I had no side effects.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Thanks so much all.... I heard that people take 100 mgs. I also read for someone who is hospitalized? they can dose them up to 200mgs. I read that on the website for the med..
I think this may work well for me, especially since Anna had a really bad effect of Effexor, and so did I, and it is working well for her, and so many others.
Wow, thanks, this ws an uplift tonight...
Maybe I will Quarter it, and try that first. Thanks Eddie..

Love ya ALL< THANKS BECKY
Old 07-09-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, Becky!! Yeah, the doses used for antidepressant effects are much higher than the doses most of these folks are talking about. But again, if you start at a low dose and work your way up slowly, you can minimize side effects. Best wishes always!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-10-2005, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HI

I take amitriptyline. I have been on it for 10 yrs now. I take 100mg at night. I have no ill side effects from it. I also can NOT take any of the ssri's. I have been on so many I don't even want to name them. They send me off the walls doing things i normally wouldn't do and I get aggresive and destructive. Anyway the only med. for depression other than the amitriptyline I can take is lithium. Keeps me level and less depressed although right now i am having a rough patch. The amitriptyline really does work, for me anyway. I do remember in the beginning that it made me VERY tired but I got use to it.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
heartofamama

Wink its personal...

it's not likely you'll experience the same results from any chemical or natural medicine as another person has.
same as no diet works for everyone, we generally find what helps us by trying different things.
my message today is that you folks refrain from combining elements, whether prescribed or herbal, because combined interactions/side effects can be extreme.
stick to one element at a time, unless you are using a half-dose of two elements. examples are: valerian root 1-2 capsules(not the recommended 5), and HALF a benadryl tablet. these two together are of course to be used 1-2 hrs before bed--when you r not considering driving.
these doses are for weights up to 140, much more body mass would likely require higher doses, but not at first.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took it many years ago, and I didn't care for it. It left me feeling groggy and "out of body" during the day. I also have sleep problems, and have found that Remeron works great for that.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I couldn't tolerate it. I felt like a crazy person on it but then at the time my panic disorder was pretty out of control. . Come to find out now I probably just needed this mood stabilizer I'm on.