Notices

My Depession Story

Old 12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

My Depession Story

Ever have one of those days when you were totally free from anger, fear, guilt, panic, anxiety, depression, sense of impending doom or worrying?

They are precious, are they not?

I would guess I feel that way maybe 5 times a year if I am lucky.

And if I am at all like you folks, I have wondered why I can't "capture" that feeling and stay that way every day.

When I was 2 years sober I nearly had a nervous breakdown. I am not sure what happened or triggered it, although I had just gotten into a new relationship.

I was put on Prozac with pretty good results for about 8 years and then I starting feeling extremely low and suicidal.

So I told my doctor and he changed me over to Zoloft, which for the most part has really helped with the obsessive compulsive worrying but not real great for the depression.

I tried Welbutrin 100 mg for a couple of months with very bad results. The main things being extremely irritable and could not sleep.

So currently I am just on Zoloft. I was OK during the summer months but when fall got here I started to get sad. So the doctor said it might be seasonal so he increased me from 50 to 75 Mg a day of the Zoloft.

I am basically toughing it out right now and to be honest I do not feel that great in the depression area. I may go back to the doctors again.

I exercise 3 times a week, diet is shaky, I am 6' and weigh 200 lbs. About 20 lbs. overweight.

I sleep good but seem to have very little ambition and energy to take on any projects. We are putting the Christmas tree up in a few minutes and I feel reluctant to take part in that.

What is wrong with me? Should I try Lexapro?

Or just tough it out and accept this is the way I am supposed to be?

I have been clean and sober 17 years, one day at a time and have many blessings in my life.

I just wished I could feel better mentally, if you get my drift.

Thanks for this forum and the opportunity to share.

Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,
We are all different. I found that Lexapro keeps me from drowning, but we added a second one Trazadone that puts the zip in me.
It is not unusual to have to tweek meds for a period of time.
I also asked the DR to double the dosage on my Lexapro after 6 months.
I want more than to just "get by".
I feel better than I ever have.
And if I don't take my meds, I fall right back to where I was.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Or just tough it out and accept this is the way I am supposed to be?
NO!

No way that this is how you're supposed to be! No way that it is how anyone is supposed to be.

Keep trying meds until you find one, or a combination, that works for you.

17 yrs? WTG!!!