Notices

Staying Alive One Day at a Time

Old 01-29-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Don't get me wrong, I didn't embrace AA or my beliefs, and I certainly didn't have an easy time dealing with isolation. I spent months struggling with depression, overeating, and not wanting to leave my apartment. Eventually I started forcing myself to take short walks, and before long I craved that time outdoors. As far as the meetings and church went, that was just a matter of life or death, I knew that if I wanted to continue living I had to have a firm foundation somewhere.

I'll never tell you it was easy rharman, but I'll always sing the praises of how much it's worth the time and determination to put together and follow a recovery plan.
Thank you for this . My psychiatrist wants me to go to Boston to a hospital for ocd , depression and anxiety. I have not found a med to help in these years . It seems so far away and I have never given AA a real chance because everytime I went , I never really got what I was supposed to do .
Old 01-30-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
rharman, I spent months sitting at AA meetings, shaking from anxiety and spilling coffee on myself, miserable because I didn't want to work a 12 Step program. It took me a long time to "get" what I was supposed to do, but the more I dove into the recovery program, the more I got out of it. Peace and gratitude took awhile and I'll always be a work in progress. Meds helped me, but spirituality played a greater part in my recovery.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Astro;7371661]rharman, I spent months sitting at AA meetings, shaking from anxiety and spilling coffee on myself, miserable because I didn't want to work a 12 Step program. It took me a long time to "get" what I was supposed to do, but the more I dove into the recovery program, the more I got out of it. Peace and gratitude took awhile and I'll always be a work in progress. Meds helped me, but spirituality played a greater part in my recovery.[/QUOTE

Thank you Astro . I guess I’m just so confused . This depression will not go into remission after all this time and I know part of my motive is trying to find anything I can to make it go away . I know I shouldn’t think that way . Like I’m trying to find someone to tell me that by working the 12 steps , this depression will go away .
Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't say that my depression has every gone away or into remission, but without a doubt I've been given the tools to overcome it most days and live a reasonably happy life, some days are even miraculously good!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Astro;7372553]I can't say that my depression has every gone away or into remission, but without a doubt I've been given the tools to overcome it most days and live a reasonably happy life, some days are even miraculously good![/QUOTE

Astro ..... are you familiar with the 12 step program, Celebrate Recovery and if so, what do you think of it ?
Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I went to my first CR meeting in '05, I had a week sober and it was a large group of men, very welcoming and supportive. The problem was me, I had a hard time saying that Jesus was my Higher Power because at that time He wasn't. I stuck around for a month but after that I sought AA for my recovery.

After 5 years of sobriety I went back to CR for about 6 years, I was lacking something in my recovery program and I knew that faith and beliefs was what I needed. This time I got a sponsor, went through the workbooks with a group, and got active in service. I still attend the same church, and although I'm not currently active in CR I think it's a wonderful program if you can find a large group that keeps it lively.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I went to my first CR meeting in '05, I had a week sober and it was a large group of men, very welcoming and supportive. The problem was me, I had a hard time saying that Jesus was my Higher Power because at that time He wasn't. I stuck around for a month but after that I sought AA for my recovery.

After 5 years of sobriety I went back to CR for about 6 years, I was lacking something in my recovery program and I knew that faith and beliefs was what I needed. This time I got a sponsor, went through the workbooks with a group, and got active in service. I still attend the same church, and although I'm not currently active in CR I think it's a wonderful program if you can find a large group that keeps it lively.
Thank you . Appreciate your response .