Notices

Breakthrough depression

Old 08-06-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Breakthrough depression

I'm sober for 4.5 years and on medications, which have been working pretty well. Nonetheless, often between 3 month visits to my psychiatrist I have a period of low mood, and this time it is, shall we say, pretty unenjoyable. I can manage but at a low ebb. Hardly productive at work -- today I didn't even go in --not tending well to basic self-care and housecleaning, negative thinking and some suicidal ideations. It's only been going on about 9 days and I feel sure I can see it through, and I'd really prefer not to get a medication adjustment.

Seeking suggestions from those who experience this, particularly non-pharmaceutical suggestions.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not on any meds; been there done that, threw away the tee shirts but I just wanted to say, "Hi," and that I hope you figure it out.

My best medicine has proven to be focused nutrition and sufficient sleep. There is a lot of research around neurochemistry and nutrition - so it could be something to while away the hours researching while you're angsty. You're lucky because you can get behind those paywalls!

Nice to "see" you.

Here's couple hours of Joe Rogan with Matthew Walker on sleep, too.

NSFW Caution for Joe's language...(probably. I don't remember, but knowing Joe)

Old 08-06-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had something similar happen to me too. It can be something unrelated to my mood, like some event happening, and my depression gets a lot worse. I think I'm at the maximum dose for my size so can't take any more. It seems to be more about the world at large than my mind. Things happen that are disturbing and it upsets my balance.

I hope you find a solution or relief of some kind.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks bim & least. I get tons of sleep -- like 9-10 hours a night -- and my diet hasn't varied in years. It's like least said -- sometimes, but not always, one negative direction and I'm low low low. I can't listen to Josh Rogan whoever that is because of the sound and no concentration anyway. But thanks.

I really really appreciate your posts.

Least I know you're suffering too. We'll send each other sympathy.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

and I used to think that that business about knowing you're not alone was bunkum, but it's not. also this too shall pass.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will pass, but if you're uncomfortable, you are. It's okay to be.

"Alone," well we all are in the end, eh? At least we're all alone together.

Ha! How's that for twisty?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
My best medicine has proven to be focused nutrition and sufficient sleep.
This. And I throw in sunlight, fresh air, and recovery meetings. For me it's almost like hitting a point of being burnt out on life and it drags me down to a low. I've been sitting in that place recently so I have a road trip planned to do some fishing, hiking, and hunting for retirement property. The cool air will be a boost for sure.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello! I just wanted to drop in and lend some support as well. I definitely go through ups and downs in my own mental health. You are right, it truly does help to not be alone and be able to share.

We are here and will walk this together! Big hugs!
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're sharing this, C2.

When I get breakthrough depression, I just take extra meds for 4 or 5 days and it goes away.

I discuss this with my psychiatrist, of course, and she approves, but it works for me every time.

The important thing for me to know is that meds don't cure my anxiety and depression.

The meds help me manage them - and with considerable success for the last 20 years, I might add.

Sorry this isn't a non-medical solution, but it has worked for me for a very long time.

I expect to have to take meds for the rest of my life, even after I retire from my daytime job (which includes, as most of them do, considerable pressure and stress).

It's a fact of my life.

But I thank God that there are strong resources to ameliorate my depression and anxiety.

The insidious thing about breakthrough depression is that it creeps in "on little cat feet," to paraphrase e. e. cummings.

It doesn't show up on my doorstep and overtly announce its uninvited arrival.

It affects my attitudes and perspectives until I finally conclude that I have some depression going on.

Then I spring into action and it goes away.

I hope this helps you.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm more focused on physical and mental health these days -- working on adjusting my diet as well as continuing to use supplements, shooting for undisturbed sleep, pushing myself to walk more with my dog, working on mindfulness, choosing to pray when I get a chance, keeping boundaries in place with toxic folks I encounter daily (that's a challenge for me!), and have not so long ago added counseling with someone with whom I "click." I am so very grateful I have the opportunity for counseling and for much of it to be covered by insurance; I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Hugs to you, courage2. Hoping you'll soon be on an upward trend.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks, SoberCAH and Anaya -- I didn't see these responses until today. I'm going to ask my shrink about occasionally upping my meds. It's definitely a physical thing. All the recovery/mental wellness stuff I do helps me a lot to remember that depression is a temporary state, but I'd rather not suffer its symptoms, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I personally am of the opinion that anything you can do to lessen depression is a good thing (except self harm things like substance abuse, etc). I am glad to hear you plan to get your meds in line.

I too am getting ready to have mine increased, at least for a while. I always know that when I start feeling ticked off and basically unsettled all the time, it's time to do something. I know my self care has not been enough lately either, I have not been eating right and excercising like I should, so I plan to get my meal plans together and get the leash on the dog!

Sending lots of support!

Last edited by Astro; 08-20-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been on meds throughout sobriety (27) years and they're working quite well. Have had a few rough patches, but somehow get through them.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Courage,

How are you feeling? I agree with the upping the dose, if your doctor agrees.

I have found that not eating any sugars (including non-veg/fruit carbs) really stabilzes my mood. Remarkable actually.

I no longer take meds, but when I needed them they were a life saver and when I had b-t depression I definitely upped them after calling my doctor.

Really hope you are feeling better.