Notices

Lithium for Bi-Polar

Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Lithium for Bi-Polar

I have Bi-Polar II. For about 3 years I was on Limictal and it made a huge difference for me. About a year ago it slowly stopped working and I went through a pretty hypomanic stage. I had felt this coming on for some time, but the doctor urged me to stick with it because it had been so effective and there are very few side effects to Limictal. Eventually things got to the point where I had to make a change.

I have been on Trileptal for about 3 months now. It has stopped the hypomanic episodes, but leaves me very flat. I have no real enjoyment in life right now, I feel like I am just going through the motions. For as long as I can remember video games have been one of my only sources of escape and enjoyment, but now I can't even garner up the interest to play them. I don't know if it's just that I miss the high of the mania or if this is just how it is. I hope this is not the new normal, because that is a very depressing thought.

One of the options my doctor has suggested is Lithium. I have always been resistant to this as I have always understood it to be a "heavy" drug with a lot of side effects. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. I am NOT looking for medical advice, just personal experience. This is a decision I will make with my doctor, but I am interested in hearing if anyone else has any dealt with this. I know something has to change.

I struggle with alcohol and know that it is counterproductive with any mental health meds, but I have only drank 3 times in the last month, so I don't think that is the issue. Anyway, thanks for any input any of you have.

Mods, I know discussing meds is a touchy topic and if you deem this to be against the rules please delete thread. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tyler, I don't have any experience to share, but wanted to let you know, I'm sorry you're struggling. I hope you can work this out with your Doctor.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with some input.

You take good care.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you shared.

So, I DO have experience- both mine and my mother's- with meds for Bi-Polar (hers is II, I have at times been dx with I) and BPD. Now that I am sober, I don't show any of the BPD symptoms (this was the dx when I was into my worst drinking and it fit me to a T). I have taken Lamictal for several years- while drinking included- and still take it (I am 25 mo and change sober), essentially as maintenance. I have never experienced side effects from it per se; I am on a number of meds that my excellent psychiatrist directs and monitors. In particular the combination of Lamictal (I take 150, 2x a day or together in the am, for 300 total daily) and a low dose of Paxil are currently part of my successful med regimen. I am likely as balanced as my personality, any underlying dx that are in fact correct, and overall very satisfied with my decisions to take meds.

My mom has used a number of meds over the years, with varying degrees of success and various lengths of time they "worked." Lithium was the most serious drug she was ever on- and it was mainly at a couple times when she was under extreme stuff (I feel guilty that one of them was the year I was engaged- oy). Eventually- after months, a year tops- it had a huge toll on her, one time near lithium poisoning, and she was taken off of it. I have always considered it the most difficult to monitor drug, as far as dosage and possible effect on people.

I think your careful consideration of taking it is smart. It would be difficult for me to take should my psych ever consider it let alone want to prescribe it. I trust her implicitly but I just have anxiety about this particular drug.

Ultimately, you have to make choices about your med intake, and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lithium is one of the most common medications for bipolar, and "they" pretty much know everything about it that there is to know because it is prescribed so regularly. I've been on lithium for many years, thought I ditch it occasionally because my alcohol muddled head tells me it is a good idea. It is a very good drug, especially if you have suicidal thoughts...it takes them right away. Pretty good for other symptoms, too. The down side is that you have to get regular blood work (once I settled in to a doseage, I get levels taken every 4 months or so). Some people do develop a small tremor (I have not), and it is a salt so you tend to drink more fluids (I do drink more).
Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you shared.

So, I DO have experience- both mine and my mother's- with meds for Bi-Polar (hers is II, I have at times been dx with I) and BPD. Now that I am sober, I don't show any of the BPD symptoms (this was the dx when I was into my worst drinking and it fit me to a T). I have taken Lamictal for several years- while drinking included- and still take it (I am 25 mo and change sober), essentially as maintenance. I have never experienced side effects from it per se; I am on a number of meds that my excellent psychiatrist directs and monitors. In particular the combination of Lamictal (I take 150, 2x a day or together in the am, for 300 total daily) and a low dose of Paxil are currently part of my successful med regimen. I am likely as balanced as my personality, any underlying dx that are in fact correct, and overall very satisfied with my decisions to take meds.

My mom has used a number of meds over the years, with varying degrees of success and various lengths of time they "worked." Lithium was the most serious drug she was ever on- and it was mainly at a couple times when she was under extreme stuff (I feel guilty that one of them was the year I was engaged- oy). Eventually- after months, a year tops- it had a huge toll on her, one time near lithium poisoning, and she was taken off of it. I have always considered it the most difficult to monitor drug, as far as dosage and possible effect on people.

I think your careful consideration of taking it is smart. It would be difficult for me to take should my psych ever consider it let alone want to prescribe it. I trust her implicitly but I just have anxiety about this particular drug.

Ultimately, you have to make choices about your med intake, and I wish you the best of luck.
I'm really tempted to see if I can try the Limictal again. It worked so well for those 3 years. I felt as close to normal as I had in many years and they were no side effects to speak of. Hypomania just started to take over and I had a really bad run towards the end of the year that really scared me. Now I'm not really sure what to do. Lithium scares me too, and from what I have read I'm not even sure if it will help with the more "down" symptoms I am experiencing. This is so frustrating! I know that the most important thing I can do is not drink. I have been doing a much better job of that over the last few month, so that is good. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. Take care.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve also got Bipolar II, and my doc said Depakote would be a more effective mood stabilizer than lithium for someone who skews toward depression (with relatively short bursts of hypomania).

I’ve been on Depakote since 1998 and it’s been great.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was taking Lithium for a while but stopped taking it due to not wanting to have the constant blood tests. They had to always monitor the level of lithium in my body. I now take risperidone and it works a lot better for me.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Lamictal has always worked well for me. I stopped taking it in about 2006 due to memory issues, which is not-so-coincidentally when my drinking started a dramatic escalation.

I'm back on it.

Per my doc(s), lamictal is better at treating the depressive end of bipolar disorder, it's not a strong antimanic. When I started current treatment after getting sober I was on a low dose of lexapro and an increasing dose of wellbutrin. I started having a very lovely little hypomania that was rather quickly progressing into something more like a full-blown mania. They tried to put me on Abilify, as I had lost a lot of hair and I blamed the lamictal (now I think it was the stress from my last binge and going on a keto diet without adjusting the protein for my activity level). They felt they had to do SOMETHING about the encroaching mania. As I took one Abilify and felt so off and hungry as a wolf after one day, I told them I would not take a neuroleptic (atypical antipsychotic) and they suggested lithium. I asked to drop the ADs, the lexapro completely and go down to 150 of the wellbutrin and give that a try first. It was enough to reduce the hypomania to a tolerable level.

FYI, I have some balance issues probably stemming from years of alcohol abuse. My neurologist told me my instincts about neuroleptics are correct, and was very glad I'd refused the Abilify. That's just one person's opinion, but I would speak quite frankly with your psychiatrist if they suggest augmenting with any atypical antipsychotic. If it's a choice between risking the side effects (some permanent) with neuroleptics or facing a manic psychosis, it's a different conversation.

People take lithium for years. If the mania is becoming a problem, for me I would definitely give it a try, if dropping the antidepressant dosage hadn't worked.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience with Limictal was similar. Worked great with the depression, but eventually the hypomania kicked in, and unlike you I didn't address it until it became pretty bad. Now I am kinda the opposite place. I am meeting with my doctor next week to talk about my options, so I appreciate the input. Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread as well. I'm bipolar 2. Never hospitalized and never went into psychosis that I know of except as a teenager once or twice. Nothing recent.

I've tried Depakote, Latuda, Buspar, Rexulti, and Vraylar. With the exception of Depakote, the others gave me extreme akathesia and kept me in a nasty mixed-state. I almost went psychotic on the Vraylar. Depakote just made me like a zombie, always angry, and gave me serious lower back pain.

I'm currently titrating up on Lamictal at 50 mg now going up to 300 mg eventually I think. Went to a pdoc out-of-network (expensive) due to his reputation and in addition to him diagnosing me also with GAD, social anxiety disorder, and probably PTSD (from my f--ked up childhood) on top of the bipolar. He added a low dose of lithium at 450 mg. Apparently lamictal and low-dose lithium is like some super combo for bipolar treatment.

I personally am not comfortable with the lithium. I do not want to get tested all the time and do not want the chance of ruining my kidneys nor any other organs. They do the testing but I don't want to take any chances. 450 mg is my maximum and I may quit it soon anyway because I feel no change at all. That being said, I have read and heard of many, many people that have been on lithium for years and it's really helped them. You will always have to get regular testing though.

Like someone else mentioned, a few years ago, before I was correctly diagnosed bipolar, I was on bupropion and switched from Lexapro to Zoloft. For over 30 days I went full hypomanic and it was a f__king awesome feeling for most of it. I never went full manic but I was so euphoric for weeks! Man, I can still remember how great I felt. The sun was always shining, birds always singing, everything was fine and going to work out great. Unbelievable. I would kill to get that back. It's come back in spurts for a few weeks but not recently. My hypomanic phases now manifest themselves more discreetly.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
G Now that I am sober, I don't show any of the BPD symptoms (this was the dx when I was into my worst drinking and it fit me to a T).
This was interesting. Before I did step work, I was diagnosed with "traits" of BPD, though not full blown BPD. I noticed that since doing step work, the traits are resolved. Talk about personality change! :-)

I am likely as balanced as my personality, any underlying dx that are in fact correct, and overall very satisfied with my decisions to take meds.
This is very well stated. I struggled with accepting any sort of diagnosis or meds for a long time, unfortunately.