Notices

Disability laws & the workplace

Old 10-26-2004, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Disability laws & the workplace

Anyone know an easy way I can find out about state and federal laws to protect people like me from disability discrimination in the workplace?

I'm about to get and want to know what options I may have for recourse, if any, in the event that I have to take my SOB boss to court.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adult child

It really depends on the type of complaint.

Federally, you can locate resources regarding Labor standards at the US department of Labor website. You can get civil rights (discrimination) information from the department of justice website. There are others.

As for state resources, that would depend on the state you live in. Most states have some agency funding mental health issues. A department of Health services for instance. Or a department of mental retardation and mental health or something like that.

Almost all states have a state sponsored advocacy agency for disability issues. Most state websites will have that information if you dig a bit. In arizona it is the Arizona Center for Disability Law.

You could probably do a google search on disability law and your state name (each in their individual quote marks) and likely get some good hits.

However, all that said, before you get mad and explode, calmness will take you much farther. If you blow up all over your boss and attack from the wrong angle, not only will you lose the battle but it will severely discredit your from the right angle. You are best to keep your cool and look into what is the proper course of action. Listen to those that know and where they refer you. Examine the laws, ask an attorney, then make a good decision based on the advice you've been given. If you try to do it on your own, almost certainly you will gain nothing and possibly lose something in the process.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
McCartia

The trouble is those of us with a disability are really never protected and a lot of us have to remain underground. IF you live in a Right to Work state like I do the employers do not have to be truthful in the way they handle your case. I was let go from my work unfairly and the whole community knew I did nothing wrong. The employer can even slander you and you have no rights at all. I can now understand why some things happen in the workplace after an employee is fired. The laws no longer help the individual who has a disability or has no means to hire a lawyer. This is a really sad thing in America! I would write to your congressman and let he or she know about what is going on at your workplace.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here is a site with some federal laws http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/ency/a...B1D219C6FC732C
Old 11-15-2004, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walteria
The trouble is those of us with a disability are really never protected and a lot of us have to remain underground. IF you live in a Right to Work state like I do the employers do not have to be truthful in the way they handle your case. I was let go from my work unfairly and the whole community knew I did nothing wrong. The employer can even slander you and you have no rights at all. I can now understand why some things happen in the workplace after an employee is fired. The laws no longer help the individual who has a disability or has no means to hire a lawyer. This is a really sad thing in America! I would write to your congressman and let he or she know about what is going on at your workplace.
Wow, I am so very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I do think I live in a right to work state, but we have the Family Medical Leave Act, which is why I have been allowed 12 weeks off with 1/2 pay to recover (get on meds and things), but my boss is out to fire me. He put an ad in the paper last week that he is looking to hire someone, full-time, for my position. I've starting calling attorneys and am waiting to hear back.

I'm hoping that if/when he fires me (which I feel is almost a definete) that I will have a leg to stand on.

Never Surrender,
Boy, I sure do like that name. Thanks for the link!

hugs,
Jenna
Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just wanted to move this up so I don't have to search through 13 pages to find it again....heehee
Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

EEOC
http://www.eeoc.com/
Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Just signed on tonitght I feel for you, Obviously I am alcoholic but my family think I Am ADD pr Bu-Polar How do you know have not been brave enough to talk to my doc about is however. he does know of my drinking problem., Don't know how to use this system yet if you were to respond