Notices

I just got punched or it feels like it..

Old 09-14-2004, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just got punched or it feels like it..

Some of you may know, but I'll explain. I currently am a teacher of 1st grade and this is my 2nd career. I had always wanted to be a teacher but when colleges were viewed all perspective teachers were encouraged to go elsewhere so I did.
I went to college and then finished my bachelors in Business Management while working for a big computer payroll processing company. I worked there for close to 17 years. I commuted 85+ miles roundtrip and then my husband and I decided to simplify our lives!!!!! and spend more time with our children. I took the dive into school and got a Masters in Elementary Ed. I was at the right place at the right time because prior to graduating and immediately after I became certified I filled a late position 2 miles from my house. I am now in my 6th year and with all the clinical depression stuff going on etc. etc. I have been apprehensive about taking on the stresses of the new school year. I love what I do, but it is very stressful ( getting all the preparation done while I am trying to take care of my own kids) and time consuming.
MY BIGGEST FEAR WHEN GOING INTO THIS PROFESSION WAS THE PARENTS... I had heard stories about parents being righteous and challenging the teacher and I knew that I would not be able to handle it at all. It would be my breaking point.
Well, today it happened right under my nose. I had a parent come in rather unexpectedly and to make a long agonizing conversation short, she left after she called me abrasive, uncaring for the children, not treating her child appropriately (I didn't treat her like a baby when she was attached at her mother's hip) She was fine as soon as her mother left. She said that I was insensitive and I only think about discipline and I am hurting her child because she cries everynight.
I have been crying for hours because this kind of abuse from a parent is what will break the camels back!!!!! It is my fear and knowing that I have been lucky for 6 years because my teammate has had some real good ones. She is so experienced at dealing with them so elouquently. I am not that quick on my feet and I could hear and feel my lip quivering. I did become defensive which I knowI should not have done that. I can't take this woman and her slander towards me all year long.
This is the same woman that e-mailed me on the first day of school to tell me that her daughter had a "wonderful" first day of school.
Wow...

I actually thought things were starting to look brighter and I sort of felt good about the beginning of the year. What scares me is this appears to be a sign from the HP that I should not be doing what I am doing and that I should back out. I struggled with starting this school year. {I love what I do and it is getting more and more enjoyable as time goes on} I struggled because the anxiety, stress and my desire to take care of 20 babies in a way that would benefit them.

This will send me off the tracks. I don't believe it to be true, but the act of going through this and dealing with parents seems to be too overwhelming for me.
Thanks for listening!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry!
Abuse knocks me off my feet, as well.
I took a hit from the least expected person last week. I was so stunned and hurt.
Slow down. Breathe.
And go to WIR and read the post Joy etc. before you make career decisions.
Don't hurt yourself because someone else did.
warm hugs,
live
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I know you are a good teacher.... don't let one person rock your world. Ask yourself this: did she make any valid point or, is she trying to blame you for something that is her responsiblity? If she made a real point then consider what she said if she is just blaming then let go. I know you are smart enough to evaluate the situation and come up with the facts.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Just be thankful I am not in school and I don't have a twin *LOL*

best as a student equals<<<< ....>>>>> teacher's nightmare

My dad was a teacher in Boston schools for over 40 years.
Teachers can be hard enough on themselves as they strive to do their best for the children.
Best advice I can give….
Start each day with the serenity prayer.

What you can’t always change would be the parents.
A prayer for the strength to deal with them and take things in stride from where they come.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Going back to work is always difficult for anyone who has experienced anxiety and depression. Just take it one day at a time and try to stay in the moment. It helps.