Notices

Sometimes parents just don't understand...

Old 07-30-2004, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lovin' life now

Exclamation Sometimes parents just don't understand...

remember that song??? Anyway, I'm just feeling a bit down in the dumps about life in general. I have had clinical depression my whole life but my parents are entirely unaccepting of my using prescription medications to treat it. To them it's "a generational thing", "a matter of perspective", "because I am interested (and have a degree in) psychology." Basically to them it is not a real, physical disease. Despite me telling them that I can feel physical changes in my mood, that I hurt myself, that I have felt this way my entire life, etc, it falls on deaf ears. If I had any other health problem, they wouldn't second-guess it at all. I know I probably can't change their minds (I've been trying for 6 years now) but I just needed to vent a little bit. Not having the people you love understand or believe you really stings.

Can you sympathize?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Yes I can sympathize,

I have tended toward depression my entire life but what I have learned (Al Anon) is to not try to change anyone's mind. Through the years I now have a family of choice. Those are the people who "get" me and the rest can stay outside my confidence.

Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results is a disease all it's own and it is so hurtful. Your family is not going to get it. Surround yourself with people who do.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-01-2004, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No matter what we want acceptance from our parents. Even after they leave this world we still hear their voices when we make decisions...

This illness is something that many people HAVE JUST NOT ACCEPTED AS AN ILLNESS. They preach...It is something that we CAN control but we decide not to... thus the term it is all in our head!As painful as it is, stop looking for their acceptance and know that you can be helped with medication. Your feelings and ability to cope are strengthened and your attitude about living is positive.

I was convinced that if I had cancer then everyone would be all over me showering me with compassion and understanding. This is no different and it can be just as fatal as cancer if left untreated.

Keep doing what is best for you and leave them out of it. Your ability to feel better matters...