Notices

A question regarding Anxiety

Old 07-30-2004, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question regarding Anxiety

Hello All,
I have a question.... After getting sober (from alcohol) 18 months ago, I was prescribed Xanax for my anxiety. HUGE ANXIETY. Probably like most people who stop drinking. I also have a small bit of OCD in me. Thats why I worry even more.

Well, anyway...needless to say, I abused the xanax and after a year of being addicted to them, I had to go to a detox to get clean of them. (I tried once on my own, but had a seizure and could not do it alone). This was the end of March...so its only been 4 months.

My question is what do people recommend besides Xanax or other benzos for anxiety? I am currently on Celexa for depression and Risperdal for anxiety. The risperdal seems to be working...but it has also made me more lazy and 15 pounds heavier.

Just want opinions....I go back to my doctor next month and going to ask her also. Just wanted to do a little homework first. If the weight gain stays the same, then I'm ok...but 15 pounds in two months is alot and I don't want any more, thats for sure!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Buspirone (BuSpar) is a non-benzo drug for anxiety. It is not addictive. If your weight stabilizes, though, you might want to stick with the Risperdal, since it seems to be working and the buspirone doesn't always do the trick. I would also recommend that you see a psychiatrist, preferably one well-versed in addiction, if you're not already. Best wishes to you!
Love, Eddie
Old 08-02-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Eddie!!

:tongue3:
Old 08-02-2004, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Be sure to be upfront with your pdoc about your being in recovery from alcohol. I had to be totally upfront with my pdoc about everything I used! INCLUDING Klonopin.

I was put on Risperidol and it worked great, except that I had the rare side effect of it messing with my hormones. I found that the 'lazy" feeling lessened after a month.

I think all the atypical antipsychotics have the side effect of lessened anxiety.

But all this is a doctor question.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I've Taken My Life Back!!

I take a drug called topamax I also take klonopin, (yuck) and ativan, it helps alot.. i always check out web md as well to see whats new out there too, just a suggestion! Good luck
Old 08-09-2004, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, madmag!!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Has anyone out there ever have a problem coming off risperdal? I am soo done.
I will do it slow, but I am done.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
King of the Blues

Buspar is your non-benzo anti-anxiety drug as previously stated. Takes time to work, but it does work. It needs to be evaluated by your pdoc. Some drugs are not good for all of us.

Risperdal? I was on it for a while and had to work closely with my doc to come off.

You can get increased anxiety and other stuff, not too serious, but PLEASE work with your doc.