Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Someone help, prozac and early recovery. anyones advice appreciated

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in early days once again. 2 weeks clean and sober after a 6 month relapse using synthetic weed, real weed amphetamines alcohol, opiates and occasional synthetic trips. But mainly just real weed towards the end.

Anyway, I'm doing meetings and wat ever I can to stay clean. Once again I'm getting real manic and sooo angry sometimes I shake and I feel like I could kill someone. Getting real deppressed at times. I know all this can be normal for coming off substances.

I had a year clean before I relasped this last time and the mania and anger were non-existant by this time even with prozac. What I'm worried about ATM is that the prozac could be making me worse by stimulating me. I was on top of the world tonight but my head races soo fast and I cant focus etc

Wat I want to hear is any advice at all, whether I should try stopping the prozac or just ride this craziness out?? anyone with experience with manic symptoms in early recovery and antidepressants like prozac
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Call your doctor. If you feel manic the Prozac might not be right for you now. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Yep, definitely speak to your doctor! You don't have to suffer through. There are many alternative meds - if that's what's causing your issues.

Prozac always drove me cuckoo - really mad ideas, but over the years since I have been on a number of different SSRIs with none of the same problems. This is not peculiar to Prozac, it's just different meds suit different people.

Your doctor will be able to advise. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Prozac and other SSRI's put me into an aggitated depression, a manic sort of stage and I did some very not good things in that state.

Talk to your Dr immediately. There are other meds that might be beneficial to you. I found some that don't send me manic etc.

When I get manic I tend to use booze and pills to address it, so that would be very detrimental to my recovery. I think finding the right meds did help me get to a point where I wasn't reaching to abuse substances out of desperation, anger etc.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a bad reaction to prozac too. It gave me severe insomnia and I was twitchy and anxious. Saw another doctor who said that she very rarely prescribes prozac to anyone because it causes such side effects. I was put on cipralex instead and have had a much better response to this. My advice is to try out different meds until you find the one that works for you and be very open with your doctor about all side effects.