Notices

Are psych meds keeping you sick ?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That is what happened to me for years. Drugs keeping me sick.

Despite all the propaganda, antidepressants such Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and Cymbalta have no scientifically demonstrable effectiveness and are proven to cause suicidality, as well as violence and mania.

They 'work' by causing mental disabilities such as apathy and euphoria that are misinterpreted as improvements. Meanwhile, their continued widespread use is determined in part by the fact that withdrawal produces severe psychiatric symptoms, including anxiety and depression.

In was just to difficult to stop taking them. Its important to know how the psych meds keep you sick.

All psychiatric drugs almost always cause withdrawal reactions, including the antidepressants, stimulants, tranquilizers, antipsychotic drugs and 'mood stabilizers' such Trileptal.

When the individual’s condition grows markedly worse within days or weeks of stopping the psychiatric drug, this is almost always due to a withdrawal reaction. However, misinformed doctors and misled parents, treatment centers and even patients think that this is evidence that the individual 'needs' the drug even more, when in fact he or she needs time to recover from withdrawal effects.

Doctors know how to put people on meds, thats for sure, but they don’t know how to help people through discontinuation syndromes and nasty withdrawal effects when people try to get off meds. The evidence of this can be found by searching the internet for official information about withdrawal from any psychiatric drug and finding nothing. Only posts from people who are sick from psychiatric drug withdrawals ,there doctors are clueless and they are left searching the internet for others who have been through it for answers.

I am not going to give any medical advice but a will tell everyone I was one of those people who aquired many different psychiatric labels was on 7 different medications at one point. I was in and out of the hospital and told I was never going to get better and told to "accept" my "illness" and the drugs that go with it after I started rejecting the ones that made me feel brain dead zombie like.

The turning point for me was learning the truth about psychiatry (the lack of medical evidence) and reading books and websites critical of current treatments. I began to think... to begin questioning, then I began see through all the lies that I was programmed to believe. I knew that I had been duped and came out of it. My mind start working again and I knew all this medication was keeping me sick and would always keep me sick.

That is what made me strong enough to make it through withdrawals, take my life back and never fall into the trap again.

It can be done, I did it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

In response to your question "are psych meds keeping you sick?" Contrary to your experience, no psych meds are not keeping me sick nor did they make me sick. I was sick for a long time prior to seeking help and the medication has helped manage my illness so I can live my life. Without the medication I am suicidal and have absolutely no doubt I would have killed myself by now. I am thankful that you do not feel your illness is something that needed medication intervention or if I am understanding correctly you feel you are not ill but the bottom line is I am ill and I need medication intervention.

When I am in pain I do what I can to relieve that pain which sometimes includes taking a pain reliever such as Tylenol. Why should I stay in pain just because someone else thinks medications are evil? That would be ridiculous and just as ridiculous would be for me to stop taking my mental health medications because someone like you believes they don't need them.

I wish you well on your journey but mine is on a different road.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just trying to "pay it forward". The truth about psychiatry saved my life.

If any readers of my post have never listened to someone so harmed by psychiatric drugs that they tried to kill themselves, I hope you will. It will break your heart. These people, including me, are among us and for many it is even more tragic because people close to them pushed them to take the drugs by saying stuff like, "If you love us, you will take the pills." The more people who know the truth about psychiatry, the fewer such tragedies there will be.

What gives these "doctors" and the writers of the 1000s of fraudulent web pages the right to tell people they will always be sick and always need to be on drugs that many don't even like (or hate) for the rest of there lives based on a behavioral checklist and using not one single test known to medical science that shows evidence of a chronic "disease" ?

Evidence is mounting that psych meds are making people (& populations) worse, not better. Nations that don't keep their patients on meds have a higher recovery rate than, the "rich & modern" nations like the USA.

In the USA one psychiatric "episode" will usually result in a label that implies the condition is medical, chronic and requires medication for life with no medical evidence to back this up.

People deserve to know the truth, what they do with it is up to them.

I don't want to minimize any ones problems or present condition, absolutely not, but I won't keep silent or lie when there are alot of people out there caught in the psych med trap like I was that don't know the truth and don't know about recovery from mental illness.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alex
Why not write about your personal mental health recovery process, without medication, and without bashing meds that DO work for some people, sometimes.
I, personally would like to know what you have discovered that DOES work for you.

raku
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think you do mean "the truth of my experiences with psychiatry saved my life." Because psychiatry *saved mine* or at least got me exactly the tools I needed.

These kinds of posts are dangerous, I find. There's certainly room for a lively debate over the merits of psychiatry that could be had, but...

Suggesting people avoid doctors and medication to treat what general and global health organizations assert is legitimate illness, for the sake of what sounds almost like a conspiracy, posing as "the truth." If all the hidden truths revealed on the internet were to be taken without a grain of salt, I can sell you one simple trick to lose 20 pounds in 2 days.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes
the doctors used to pump me full of them
and
then tell me
keep coming back for more

it wasn't until I gave up everything
the drinking and the meds

that I found and enjoyed true sobriety
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
My personal experience only...yes, they made/kept me sick.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by raku View Post
Alex
Why not write about your personal mental health recovery process, without medication, and without bashing meds that DO work for some people, sometimes.
I, personally would like to know what you have discovered that DOES work for you.

raku
I concur. Meds have helped a lot of people I know, especially in conjunction with therapy and exercise. They're not for everyone, but I find it dangerous to go about saying they're all just some big, evil conspiracy.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bashing medication ?

Medication is just a inanimate substance that can't do much harm until its sold with lies and nobody mentions the withdrawal reactions that usually make worse what ever problem psych-pharma claims they treat and people diagnosed "need" them like insulin for diabetes.

Psychiatry is a pseudoscience that makes billions of dollars based on total fraud. It is used as a tool of social control. It is the religion of this century, integrated into or schools and into our lives without any question whatsoever.

We are humans, we have a complex mind. We have the right to feel whatever we want to feel without being classified as 'disordered' just because it seems 'abnormal' or makes alot of money for the self appointed judges of normal and abnormal, the psych-pharma industry.

Even kids who prefer to explore their surroundings and chatter (as thousands of years of evolution prepared them to do) instead of sitting still listening to teachers are labelled as "suffering from ADHD" and drugged.

How is a parent to know that when a "doctor" says there child is "sick" and needs to be on drugs like amphetamines this is simply a lie, that there is nothing wrong with health of this child ?

We don't even have schools anymore, we have "behavior health clinics" with a few books lying around.

The next thing you know "spring fever" will be a psychiatric disease.

There is no such thing as a mental illness. Illness is in the body and can be tested for, it's not in the mind. The mind is something that cannot be infected, each person in this world has a different mind and different personality. Everybody feels a certain way because of certain reasons. Just because someone is a different, unhappy or does something different from what the society perceives as 'ordinary', does not mean he has a disease in his mind. How can the mind be diseased? It's not an object, organ. It's our freaking consciousness. It is as mysterious as the meaning of our existence.

I am energetic and scattered, I often have strong emotions and grand ideas other days sometimes it seems like everything sucks.

So what ? I can't believe I fell for the scam of psychiatry and kept taking those pills getting sicker and sicker for my so called ADHD bipolar "disease". I was lied to by the scam of the century, seratonin... chemical imbalance... a total lie. Show me the test.

With that out of the way, here is the scary part:

I could not see myself getting sicker and sicker from those pills for a long time, that I can not explain. It was like they caused a memory problems and I forgot myself , my healthy self before I started.

If anyone thinks psych meds may be keeping them sick I suggest a long hard look at yourself before the pills and try to remember how you felt, think about the years before and what you were doing. My brother pointed out that I never was in a psych hospital BEFORE taking all that "medication" or had any of the problems I was having, I argued with him and said but I "have" ADHD and anxiety and "need" them...

I wish he and my dad were still alive to see that I escaped the psychiatry trap, my bro was right, those pills were screwing me up.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Even if it's not an exact science, I'm unconvinced.

Though indeed we may be too quick to take medications at times, they can still be a valuable tool to the mental health of many people.

And to say there is no such thing as a mental illness? Really?????

If this is the way you feel, great, but I think you'll find a lot of others who disagree, and who are thankful for the help science and therapy has offered.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
And to say there is no such thing as a mental illness? Really?????
You think a child that likes to run around and play smiling and laughing instead of sitting still and doing school work at 7 years old is sick or "ill" and needs to be drugged ?

I am not convinced this child is "ill" or sick.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Psychiatry and the meds I was prescribed certainly saved my life. And yes, there is such a thing as mental illness, despite your insistence that there isn't. You are welcome to your opinion but please preface your statements with "in my opinion...". My truth and your truth are different, not right or wrong, just different.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is the 7 year old child that likes to run around and play instead of doing classwork for 7 hours "sick" or "ill" ?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

again, Alex, I pose a question to you...what DOES work for you ?

HuskyPup...I share your attitude on this....by the way, I developed a mean recipe for tofu burgers when I was a vegetarian chef. Yes, this is off subject, but maybe not !
Healthful diet has helped me much thro the years...aha...something positive to post !

raku
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Alex - unless you are a medical doctor I think you're into dangerous territory here. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with phych meds. It's unfortunate.

It is a fact that mental illness is real and the meds have saved many lives.

People's mental health and medications should be between their doctor and them. Period.
In fact, we are not allowed to give medical advice in any way here at SR and I think this might cross that line.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is the 7 year old that likes to run around, laugh, climb trees, chase birds and play with dogs instead of sitting still and doing school work for 7 hours "sick" , "ill" or "diseased" ????
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I believe that there IS such a thing as mental illness. Yes, the brain is part of the body,
and at all costs, needs healthy food, respect, and exercise. Exercise like riding a bike, like reading, like sharing viewpoints, and discussion.

Mostly, our minds need training, focus on positivity, and acceptance...of positive AND negative experiences. To quote my father..."If I were to focus on all the slights, wrongs, and mistreatment people had done to me in my life, I would be the meanest, angriest son-of-a-bitch for miles around". He was a happy man.

raku
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was about as resistant to the idea of taking antidepressants as I was to the idea of quitting drinking at the height of my active use. When I quit drinking I was at the end of the line: suicidal (no attempts but I thought about it frequently), dangerously depressed, anxiety through the roof, and little to no sense of self-worth.

The only thing that allowed me to return to some sense of normal was a combination of treatment, AA, psychology, and psychiatry. In all honesty, psychiatry was the missing link in each of my prior failed attempts to quit. It was virtually impossible to motivate myself to actively participate in my own recovery when although I wanted to quit, my brain prevented me from seeing any benefit to sobriety. That all changed when I finally allowed medical professionals to treat my underlying issues with medication.

While you profess a strong opinion that psychiatry is not for you, I did not see you mention that you hold a Ph.D. or have the proper background to make generalized statements regarding the efficacy of a broad class of medications. Please do not read various non-qualified opinions on the internet from similarly uneducated people and then proclaim on a recovery forum that your summary of what you read somehow carries weight.

I find this thread to be somewhat reckless and antithetical to the recovery process.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I still want to know if the 7 year old child that likes to run around full of energy, laugh, smile, climb trees, chase birds, play with dogs, throw rocks in ponds instead of sitting still and paying attention to school work for 7 hours is sick, ill or medically "diseased" based on those behaviors.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Then I will talk.