Notices

My mind won't shut up at night...

Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mind won't shut up at night...

So I'm diagnosed with mild Aspergers Syndrome(with symtoms closely related to ADHD) and Major Depression and Anxiety.

I am currently on: 30mg Adderall XR(morning) & 5mg Abilify(night)

The Adderall works like a charm for the perseveration and repetitive/impulsive behaviors... during the day that is.. I have a very high metabolism so it only lasts about 6-8 hours, so around 6 PM, my symptoms return.. and then I cannot sleep for sh*t at night because of the racing thoughts, thinking of one paticular thing over and over and over again.. I try to meditate/deep breathe but the thoughts never seem to go away and I'm really sick of barely getting any sleep..

The Abilify works so-so for my depression.. I still feel pretty depressed towards the end of the day but when I don't take it I get SEVERELY depressed to the point of being suicidal.

Has anyone here with Aspergers or ADHD/ADD have a similar situation, or have any luck with paticular supplement/medication to stop the racing thoughts?

thanks,
jake c.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This really is a question for your doctor.

Even if someone here suggested a medication, you'd have to see a doctor to get it.

I take stuff for schizo-affective disorder, but have no idea what it might do to you.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jake

we can share our experience here but you can't ask us for medical advice.
Have you spoken to your Dr?

D
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Counting Breaths

For some people, counting breaths can be very helpful to help settle the mind and develop concentration. It serves as feedback to let you know that your mind has drifted. This method can be used for the entire meditation session or just for the first part of the sitting, until the mind calms a bit.

Silently count each breath, beginning with one and count up to ten. Each count includes an entire cycle of inhalation and exhalation.
Some people prefer to count during the inhale, and some during the exhale, either is fine. One can also count during both the inhale and the exhale: 'One' for the inhale, and 'One' for the exhale... then continue with two and so on…
When you reach ten, you start over.
Keep most of your attention on the physical sensations of breathing.

If you get distracted, start over again at 'one'. It doesn’t matter how far you get, just start again. You are training the mind, not trying to accomplish getting to 10. The starting over is an essential part of the training. Any time you are starting over at one, you are being mindful.
Even if you only notice 2 breaths in a row, just by coming back and starting again, you are accomplishing the practice.
Sometimes our attention can drift and we might not notice until we have counted up to 20 or 30! It doesn’t matter, back to 'one'.

More Complex Counting: For some, adding a level of complexity to the counting can be helpful. You count up to ten, just like above, but when you reach 10, you begin to count back down to one. Then start over again from 1 to 10 and 10 to 1.

https://sites.google.com/a/audiodhar...unting-breaths
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

with any diagnosis, meds are a trial and error, and you will be best to work with your doctor to find the right combo that works for you as long as he clear on all your history, and medical needs you can find what works just might take some hit and misses so best of luck finding the balance with the dr.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

I find that some of the things that I have learned in my AA programme help to calm the mind. Do you have a programme for recovery?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have found that putting myself to sleep, lying in bed, choosing one area of my life or home and thinking of everything in that that I am grateful for, helps me sleep.

I too have the racing thoughts issue, and this has helped me.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a thought-do you drink coffee? Maybe quitting coffee would help. Good luck to you.