Notices

bipolar meds

Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gforecoveringca View Post
JJamie I was scared of medicine for that very reason. I was lucky that the first one done it for me.I did not want to have to take something everyday for the rest of my life and become "dependent" on it ..
When I use the word "dependent" I am always referring to the need to continue taking it cause of nasty withdrawal reactions, never do I use that word to say someone is weak for using medication.

If you search on the internet for Lamictal withdrawal symptoms then you will be bombarded with a results page of other Lamictal user questions about this drug. There is no real "offical information" , just other Lamictal users who are trying to find out whats going on.

The same thing happends when you type in the name of any psych medication.

I was one of those people searching for awnsers for my type of bipolar medication when I became very very sick when I decided I no longer wanted medication therapy and tryed to stop.

The doctor at the E.R interpreted these reactions as a sign that my "illness" is chronic and that my drug was "effective."

It was a nightmare.

Oh ok. My bipolar use to change within minutes and hours. It was awful but since I was put on lamictal 5 years ago it is much much better. In the past 6 months it has made me very sick feeling but if I eat first its not that bad. I kinda thought that's what it meant but not quite sure lol
Very sick feeling, whats up with that ?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope you didn't think I was offended I didn't take it that way at all. As far as the sick feeling yes it started making me feel very nausea but if I eat a little even a couple crackers or something it does n not seem to bother me.this has just started recently tho.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
I was diagnosed with BPII a few months ago. I went on Lamictal, got irritable, was taken off that, put on Depakote, all I wanted to do was sleep so I stoppe.

That's it. Going to try to get to sleep soon. Day 2 sober. Grateful once again for this board and for waking up/going to bed sober.
It was impossible for me to rationally say how well my bipolar meds were helping when I continued to drink alcohol with them...when drinking they weren't helping at all but only part of a dangerous cocktail.

It took me several months of sobriety with bipolar meds to form a rational opinion on how they helped me or not.

Kind of senseless talking about the effectiveness of the drugs while using.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope you didn't think I was offended I didn't take it that way at all. As far as the sick feeling yes it started making me feel very nausea but if I eat a little even a couple crackers or something it does n not seem to bother me.this has just started recently tho.
You are not alone lamictal nausea - Google Search

I got the rash from this stuff myself within the first few days but only on my ankles and groin, the second place was very upsetting cause it appeared like I had an STD or something.

I have no idea why Dr "pile on the pills" never gave me seroqel for sleep and I was perscribed so so many others like lamictal, trouble sleeping was my original complaint and what I wanted help with.

It actualy works when sleep becomes impossible.

I thought bipolar was something to describe bears, fish, cold places and North South magnets when I got started.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

They say that being bipolar is like having a tumor in your brain that spits out cocaine. i am realizing that my primary addiciton is to my MANIA!! That is the thing that I do not want to give up and that is why I have smoked pot all these years even when I was on lithium. Only 23 days clean and sober and on meds. Am kicking myself for all that wasted time. Hope that I finally get WHAT exactly I am powerless over.. Dual diagnoss sucks big time..
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Peanutter, I agree ...dual diagnosis Does suck.......but it is, what it is. For some reason, probably my overall awareness of the ups and downs of bipolar, I am not addicted to mania...I don't care for either one...if I experience a manic high, the "down" is a doomful balance...adding pot or alcohol to the mix is counter-productive, in the goal of "being" better ! Escaping the depression or hypo-mania is not a viable option for me; However, for me "powerlessness" is also not an option. I started Lamictal a week ago, for major, I mean, Major, depression, and I hope for the best results !

Cindy
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by ephixia View Post
I was diagnosed Bipolar I for years, but I haven't used medications for over a year now and I've been symptom free. Took a lot to recover, but it's very doable, and the meds helped a lot in the early stages of figuring this thing out.

I see that people track the days they've been been sober, but I haven't seen this with people who discontinued medications. I always figured that alcohol was a way to self-medicate, so I think of medications as analogous to alcohol even though I realize that alcohol has much worse side effects. Does anyone else see it this way?
I went without medications for a few years and then self medicated.. I live in the Domnican Republic where i can just buy them over the counter. Plus i am dual diagnosed and used both alcohol and pot! AARGH.. But it is amazing how we can fool ourselves. Well bipolar is a brain disorder. It is biochemical. Just like addiction is a disease. Neither one is just going to go away on its own. You can go into remission for a while with bipolar. Just like i could control lmy drinking and drugging for a while. But eventually...

anyway.. just wanted to warn you.. that you are probably not "recovered" from bipolar.. perhaps you were misdiagnosed. If you are truely bipolar and living without meds, it will return. Time will tell, I wish you look.

Anyway, stay clean and sober. That, at least, will help!