Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

"Fire in a crowded theater" Who thinks James Holmes was taking antidepressants ?

Notices

"Fire in a crowded theater" Who thinks James Holmes was taking antidepressants ?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question "Fire in a crowded theater" Who thinks James Holmes was taking antidepressants ?

How can the T.V news ask this question and then in the next Commercial break they play paid advertisements for psychiatric drugs ? Thats my guess as to why the question is never asked on T.V. "Batman shooter" was studying nueroscience ! and most school shooters were on medications when they bugged out bigtime. I think T.V news is a crock talking about gun control 24/7 but not asking the simple question: Was he taking psychiatric drugs ?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am not going to wade into the gun control mess as I don't think this is an appropriate forum for that conversation. But what I will say is this.

The man was obviously mentally and emotionally unstable. Obviously if he was seeking psychiatric treatment it was not enough at that point in time or the events would not have occurred.

I think that to try and blame the events on someone taking psychiatric medications is very dangerous and unfounded. Medications help an enormous amount of people myself being one. It is my opinion that without medications these events might occur more often so blaming these things on medications is ridiculous at best.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pez dispensers!

I think Big pharma should just hand out pez dispensers! to replace prescription pads for some of these doctors. Yes I am still upset over enduring the Zoloft side effects and withdrawal reactions that I wasn't warned of and were never explained to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I can understand your frustrations. I have experienced withdrawals and side effects of medications as well. Not just psychiatric medications but other medications as well. I have learned from those experiences to read the package inserts and study up on the medications that have been prescribed for me. I also ask my doctor a lot of questions and am an active participant in my healthcare. When my doctor talks about putting me on a new med I ask about side effects, I ask about alternative medications, I ask about withdrawals, I ask about our options if that medication does not work, and I ask many other questions.

What I have also learned is that medications can be extremely helpful in dealing with some medical and psychiatric conditions and I can not discount their therapeutic use just because there are risks involved. For me the risks of not being on medication are much higher as I would be dead from suicide.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by James007 View Post
I think Big pharma should just hand out pez dispensers! to replace prescription pads for some of these doctors. Yes I am still upset over enduring the Zoloft side effects and withdrawal reactions that I wasn't warned of and were never explained to me.
If you're going to be deliberately denigrating and provocative, pleas go elsewhere.

I think that, if anyone should be aware of sociological, legal, and economic issues pertaining to psychiatric pharmacology, it should be the psychiatric patients themselves. However, the socilogical, legal, and economic facts about psychiatric pharmacology, namely, that psychiatric pharmaceuticals can be used to enforce social norms, that legal compulsion is often used to effect the enforcement of social norms through psychiatric pharmacology, and that there often huge p"lrofit incentives to perpetuate the legal compulsion and social norming, don't in themselves make the pharmceutical industry a priori evil. Moreover, anyone who is going to assert that a given set of sociological facts makes something "evil" should realize that "evil" is itself a sociological construct and doesn't exist independently of the minds that constructed it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by TheOnlyDryPaddy View Post
anyone who is going to assert that a given set of sociological facts makes something "evil" should realize that "evil" is itself a sociological construct and doesn't exist independently of the minds that constructed it.

All other issues aside, my reaction to this statement, in a single word is, NO. Evil is an apt description of the behavior of the individual who did this, regardless of the cause. Without that as a starting point, the entire discussion is meaningless.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
All other issues aside, my reaction to this statement, in a single word is, NO. Evil is an apt description of the behavior of the individual who did this, regardless of the cause. Without that as a starting point, the entire discussion is meaningless.
Did you pay attention to the referent of "evil"?

Because I was quite clear what I was referring to as evil.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Soberrecovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions and help for family and friends whos lives have been affected by someone else's addiction.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think he was taking something, I have been to hundreds of A.A and N.A meetings and heard a thousand shares "when I was taking pills XYZ... I did this horrible thing, I was out of my mind and woke up in jail". I guess T.V reporters don't goto meetings. I still wan't to know what to know what the "nueroscience student" was taking leading up to this. Most school shooters were taking uppers of some sort.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

forgot to close.
Closed.

D