Notices

Anti depressants for addiction

Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anti depressants for addiction

Hello all. I have had a painkiller problem from 2008 to 2011. Mostly oxys. I quit in 2011, went to rehab, and was put on suboxone up until 35 days ago. About 3 weeks ago i went see my shrink. I always had bad anxiety and she put me on wellbutrin xl. The wellbutrin so far has done nothing.at the rehab center i went to they said that traditional anti depressants dont do much for anxiety and depression for people with addictions because their problem is dopamine based and not serotonin based. Can any addicts out there tell me which anti depressant they had success with?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

??? I'm pretty sure that they're blatantly wrong. The high comes (mostly) from dopamine, but anxiety and depression can be treated just as with anybody else.

I've tried countless antidepressants, my personal best fits are Paxil and Remeron. Lexapro was okay too. I'm on Paxil CR + Wellbutrin XL right now.

Full disclosure, lol: these meds weren't enough, as chronicled in this forum, but they sure helped a lot.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kiddo

I only use Prozac (because I'm under 18) and it's helped, but not hugely. When I first got prescribed it, I was, as my psych said 'psychomotor ********.' I could hardly put words together, couldn't focus on anything at all etc.

Now it's better, but I still notice that I don't put enough effort into appearance and caring for myself. I'd talk to your doc more if it's not doing what you think it should be, or if you see no improvement. I'm an opiate addict as well, but I think what the person may have meant that is with all the drugs you were taking, the antidepressant may not have been able to work properly.