Notices

Social Anxiety and Recovery: ugh.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Social Anxiety and Recovery: ugh.

I'm new to the site...I joined in 2010 and forgot all about it! Ive been sober a long time and have a number of mental health diagnosis including an anxiety disorder. I moved from NY to FL and lost all my wonderful friends, support, and home group. AA is so different here and people have a zero tolerance for discussing menatal health during your share. Dang- it says in How it Works- "there are those among us with grave emotional and mental disorders".

So, anyway, I go to the only Dual Diagnosis Recovery meeting here and I am looking on this site for friendship and mutual support to supplement my program. I go to regular AA and sometimes have to leave I get so anxious- I have even had a few panic attacks.

Can anyone else relate? I have an anti anxiety med but don't want to pop a pill for every situation in my life ugh.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mar ... Once you get sober in New York I think it can be hard to adjust to meetings elsewhere. I say this as a recovering New Yorker who battles depression and is an agnostic. I was surprised at the intolerance I found at AA meetings elsewhere ... recovering alcoholics can be very strident and judgmental. I would think there would be other folks who moved from NY to FL. It would be great if you could connect with them, perhaps start your own meetings.

In the meantime, just don't drink TODAY. At least that never changes.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have been sober a long time to, but I have social anxiety in sovriety.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been sober along time. I do experience social anxiety and I am working through it.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to both the social anxiety and the not wanting to pop pills for everything.

My social anxiety used to be terrible, but I kept putting myself in situations that forced me to be social. Eventually I got used to it. I still don't care much for human interaction, but everybody needs a little of it sometimes to stay sane, I think.

The SSRIs also helped a great deal during the worst part of it. I don't care what people say, they are good meds and there is nothing wrong with taking them if you need them. Surely, they're better than drinking.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If its a mental disorder I think I'ne been diagnosed with it, PTSD the worst I think but drinking sure didn't cure it. I enjoy my SR friendships the most.I wish the best for you.