Notices

Bipolar as a cause of alcoholism

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In my case..I have found that the alcoholism caused my bipolar...or made me manic..and have moods all over the place...I have been sober 20 months now, and have weaned myself off Lithium...for the past 3 months...I have to say that the lithium absolutely helped with the detox and stabilization during the hard times of staying sober....I continue to see my addiction counsellor, my psych..,read recovery books,and tend to my spiritual beliefs....all of this has helped greatly....could I have been mis-diagnosed?? I was diagnosed when I was very very actively drinking??? who knows...but I do feel okay..I monitor my moods, and still have an on going perscription for lithium and will go back if I find I'm all over the map again....I try not to read to much into my moods however..I just want to feel....and not be labelled manic...or irriatable..etc...time will tell..and I think it's important to just stay aware... xo......
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I am somewhat new to SR and just found this portion of the site dealing with mental illness and addiction. I will definitely be spending more time here to learn more. Thank you, Hay, for raising this question.

My ex is bi polar and also is/was addicted to cocaine. When I met him, he told me his "life story" of drug use, going MIA for two years and the many problems off/on since high school with partying. He had been married once before and went "off the deep end" after that divorce many years prior to meeting me (we are now 42).

Prior to us meeting, he had been recently diagnosed with bi-polar and was treating it with depakote. Roll forward about 8-9 years, we are now divorced. While he managed his mental illness with medication throughout our 7 year marriage, he had a few "stints" of using throughout our marriage - manic episodes. One involved going to an out of town football game, coming home a day early to find his "source" via a $15,000 private jet (found that out while he was in rehab), and holing up in a hotel all night. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and told him if he did this again I will divorce him.

Our marriage ended in January (well, the relationship did) - our divorce was final in August. He ended up on a cocaine "binge" off/on for about a month (he used only 4 times but basically the last week was holed up in our spare bedroom with the "flu" - had missed a week of work and was just "out of it"). I went in the room on a Friday to take him to outpatient treatment and cocaine was all over the place. With a toddler, I decided it best to have him go into inpatient rehab for 28 days.

During our marriage his bi-polar counselor always said that he used when he was "manic"...it was almost like the provider gave him an 'exuse'. It wasn't until he went to rehab that I really learned that he was "dual diagnosed" and was both an addict and bi-polar. I learned that both need to be "managed" separately, and that he can't use his mental illness as a scapegoat for using.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but it sure helps me in a cathartic way - thanks for listneing everyone.

Thanks Hay, for posting. It sounds like many of us have been involved with similar situations. I wish the best for you.