Notices

slipped into depression

Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

slipped into depression

I need some tips please if any of you have any. I have slipped into depression. I was doing really well but now i cant do anything. I only got out of bed a half at 4pm and want to go back. I have things to be doing but cant do them. Only slept 3hours last night coz i didnt want to be alone with my thoughts, so i chatted online to someone all night and they distracted me for a bit...but now im awake again.

Any advice for ways to help yourself out of depression would go a long way right now. Or do i just have to ride this out? Its not the feelings really, its my mind, its driving me nuts and its a friday...not a good day to be feeling like this.

Even anything positive right now might help...i dont know. Im going to have a shower now (stress of it even) and see how i feel but i dont reckon much will have changed.

I do also realsie this has nothing to do with drink or drugs, i just looking for advice if you have any.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

hi angel,
weekends are the worst for me when depressed! and yes....my mind is my worst enemy...especially when trying to sleep during difficult times.

I don't want advocate or suggest anyone medicate themselves....especially without doc supervision (perferably a pdoc for this stuff), but....

when i can....i try to remind myself to take a small dose of xanax (i can't use this for anxiety as it knocks me out) or visteril or even benadryl to help me sleep when my head won't stop.

as for not being able to get out of bed....i'm only functioning at all right now because of energy shots/drinks.

my depression is medication resistent....and the 2 best healthy things i have learned really help me (if i can make myself do them) are getting sun exposure (it's really the ONLY way a person can get enough vitamin D is from the sun). And 2nd....regular exersize, preferrably cardio. When i was actively roller skating for a year it was AMAZING how much better i felt and how much easier it was for me to keep my depression at bay!

Just know u are NOT alone. Even just in the past few months i have gone days without showering or even changing clothes or brushing my teeth b/c of how my depression drags me down. EVERYTHING becomes more of a struggle....which, obviously makes it hard to exercise.

But even if you can go for a breif walk....even 1/2 way down the block and back and just focus on your breathing and listening to the wind/birds....and also focus on feeling your legs as you take each step. It is basically a quick meditation walk to get you moving, get a little sun exposure and will also help calm some anxiety.

Anything you can do right now that is a move forward (like taking a shower even) is an acheivement and you should praise yourself for having pushed to do it. That's how i was yesterday! I hadn't showered in 3-4 days and i was so ripe i woke up smelling my BO! lol It still took some outside motivation to get me in the shower, but i was proud of myself and felt better for having accomplished it!

hang in there.
you're not alone!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey thanx for the tips, apprichated. Definitely every little thing is an achievement coz it takes so much effort to actully do things, even to eat. Manged to drag myself into the shower in the end, only coz i had ta tho coz people were knocking over to me. It took me ages to get ready coz i kept sitting down, taking breaks, and staring into thin air, got there in the end!

As much as i didnt want to be around anyone yesterday at all, i think it was the best choice for me at the time. My good friends were all happy as larry, i was sitting there doing my best to interact normally. Couldnt hide it tho, my mates kept asking me was i ok, of course i said im fine evertime when clearly i wasnt. Kicked them out real early coz i couldnt last much longer but they did have a good effect on me over all. I feeling a little better today, not a lot actully but im not going to go there.

Im gona try and get out for a walk later today. Even the toughts of it now but i really wana snap out of it so will put effort into getting thru it, even tho i still wana stay in bed all day!

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Want to form an alliance? :.)

Weekends are tough for me, too.

One thing I've learned about myself is that I can't go against the current. In other words, if (for example) I find myself in similar straights, I usually just go with it for awhile until I'm feeling better. If I have that impulse to stay in bed, then I stay in bed...

The thing to be vigilant of with this, however, is that you need to know when enough is enough. You can't prolong your depression, so if you begin to feel as if you've worn out your slack credits, then you should try another approach like forcing yourself outside to do something. I've found that just forcing myself out to a coffee shop or weight lifting room is great medicine. Sometimes even just going to a park and sitting there watching people and animals is fun, too. And of course, we all have at least 1 person we can call to talk about stuff with...

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that you are feeling down. I am sure the depression will lift if you are prepared to face it. Can I ask directly? Are you drinking? In April you said that you were drinking beer and you were keen to find out whether moderate drinking would take you out of an alcohol problem.

Remember, alchol is a depressant. Also, it leaves us in an addictive cycle which creates shame, anxiety and fear. Those emotions combine to produce a depressive state of mind.

This forum is great for people who want support in tackling alcohol problems and I expect your therapist is keen to help you too. My therapy sessions depend on me making a contract to stay sober. That means, for me, daily attendance at AA, prayer, talking to my sponsor, posting here, taking exercise and watching my diet.

I am pleased to say that process has improved enormously. But it all starts with one thing: putting down the drink.

Keep posting. I am sure others will have more support to offer whenever you come here.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling alot better, im coming around now thank god! Felt like bleedn ages i have been going thru this. When i sink, i sink prety bad, anyways...

Yeah im still drinking. I have made big improvments in that area tho, but im am no where near sober. I'd really love to say i am, but i cant. I've stopped drinking spirits but thats it.

I spoke seriously to my theripst about stopping and the responce i felt i got of her as that im kinda not ready. See with drugs, it wasnt worth the anxiety it caused me when i took them. Taking drugs would give me a high for a bit but it wouldnt be long till the anxiety crept in and it would reck my night. Everybody would be still giving it loads and id be in the corner freeked out. For that reason, i wanted to stop them desperatly...and i did. With drink its kinda not as simple as that for me. Drink is the one thing that gets rid of my anxiety for a while and its so much harder to get that feeling where i want to give it up completely, so im a bit lost about the whole thing
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cheeky Angel. I'm from Ireland too. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I suffer from major depression, panic disorder and general anxiety disorder. Depression in the first months of total abstinence from alcohol, pot and 20 milligrams of Klonopin a day prescribed by a shrink was killer.

I not only take a minimum dose of Zoloft. I drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and eat food.

I must say that the slam-me-to-the-bed depression has lifted, and that's after 20 years of treatment, both therapy and chemical. The therapy didn't work. The chemicals didn't work.

I personally found that alcohol increased my anxiety, not diminished it. In fact, while alcohol and Klonopin gave me some relief, the onslaught of anxiety and depression was profound with it.

Only after I surrendered to the fact that I was a drug addict and an alcoholic and went through months of I-can-t-take-this-anymore depression did I realize that the fleeting relief from booze and pills added to my depression and anxiety.

I'm certified depressed, diagnosed for decades, on Social Security disability for the same, having government psychiatrists state that I was so disabled by depression that I could no longer function in society.

They're right. But today I live without severe depression, without panic, and without crippling anxiety. By being disabled, the label only certified that I was allowed to depend on Klonopin -- at a dose equivalent to 400 milligrams of Valium a day -- washed down by a dozen beers with six to eight joints a day to smooth out the edges.

If you keep drinking, the depression and anxiety will not abate. After eight months of total sobriety, mine has.

I did it through AA, NA and total abstinence. And belief in a power greater than myself that could restore me to a semblance of sanity.

You are not totally unique. Many of us here have suffered what you are going through ten fold. I am not terminally unique. May have gone through what I have.

Maybe this will help. In order to get off the tranquilizers, I went through seizures, complete psychotic episodes that lasted days, and ended up in the shrink ward, tethered to a bed.

I suffer from protracted withdrawal symptoms from the benzos. It may last for a year or more. And I must say, I suffer still from depression, but not the type that keeps me in bed for days, or unable to shower, or unable to brush my teeth, all of which I experienced before.

Quit drinking. Go to AA or NA meetings. That's where I'm headed right now.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post

Only after I surrendered to the fact that I was a drug addict and an alcoholic and went through months of I-can-t-take-this-anymore depression did I realize that the fleeting relief from booze and pills added to my depression and anxiety.

I'm certified depressed, diagnosed for decades, on Social Security disability for the same, having government psychiatrists state that I was so disabled by depression that I could no longer function in society.

They're right. But today I live without severe depression, without panic, and without crippling anxiety. By being disabled, the label only certified that I was allowed to depend on Klonopin -- at a dose equivalent to 400 milligrams of Valium a day -- washed down by a dozen beers with six to eight joints a day to smooth out the edges.

If you keep drinking, the depression and anxiety will not abate. After eight months of total sobriety, mine has.

I did it through AA, NA and total abstinence. And belief in a power greater than myself that could restore me to a semblance of sanity.

You are not totally unique. Many of us here have suffered what you are going through ten fold. I am not terminally unique. May have gone through what I have.

Maybe this will help. In order to get off the tranquilizers, I went through seizures, complete psychotic episodes that lasted days, and ended up in the shrink ward, tethered to a bed.

I suffer from protracted withdrawal symptoms from the benzos. It may last for a year or more. And I must say, I suffer still from depression, but not the type that keeps me in bed for days, or unable to shower, or unable to brush my teeth, all of which I experienced before.

Quit drinking. Go to AA or NA meetings. That's where I'm headed right now.
I have been sober through the program of AA for 10 years now and I did not start taking medications to treat my mental health issues until I was 5 years sober. AA is not a cure all for mental health issues. Yes getting sober did help with a type of anxiety but not for the anxiety and depression that I have from the PTSD and bipolar mental health conditions I have. AA can not cure bipolar of PTSD. That requires mental health help. It can and does help with situational depression and anxiety related to that but it can not change a chemical depression or anxiety related to chemical problems within the body and mind. That has been my experience and the experience of many that I know of. I use AA to treat my alcoholism and seek mental health support to treat my mental health issues.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

>>>>Yeah im still drinking. I have made big improvments in that area tho, but im am no where near sober. I'd really love to say i am, but i cant. I've stopped drinking spirits but thats it. <<<<<

You are self-medicating, which is very common with alcoholics. No, you don't have to just lie there and suffer! I'm a recovering alcoholic who also suffers from depression. I wouldn't be sober without 1) AA and 2) medication and therapy. It really is time to see a physician, hopefully one connected to a local rehab or hospital who understands treatment of these two diseases. I have a full, active life today because I'm sober and getting the right meds.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking will just make the anxiety worse. It might help in the short term, but long term it's doing damage.

I'm on prozac which has helped my panic disorder, but I'm hoping that now that I stopped drinking I can stop taking prozac shortly after. It makes me feel like a zombie

Good luck!