Notices

need advice re: medication

Old 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need advice re: medication

hi everyone,

i usually post in the 'newcomers to recovery' forum so this is my first post here...

i'm in desperate need of some advice.

i quit drinking in september '09. i used to call booze (beer in particular) my 'chosen medication.' since quitting drinking i've had bouts of depression - lots of good days but bad days here and there. i guess the notable thing about the bad days is that they're really bad - noticably so. ppl at work notice, my partner notices - lots of oversensitivity, some generalized anxiety too but the 'bad days' here and there were dark and despairing and i've come to realize in fact that i've had depression since i was a kid.

i've always been VERY VERY resistant to medication. that's why i turned to booze in the first place. i always enjoyed pointing out how it's 'natural.' ha ha.

anyway, to make a long story short, my partner, who's on SSRI meds suggested i try them too. in fact, she's been saying that for the whole 2 and a bit years we've been together.

one night, after a very blue day (had to take the day off work cuz i couldn't get out of bed), i told her i'd be willing to try them. and so, i went to my doctor this past monday (the 8th) and was prescribed cipralex (lexapro in the states). i took it tuesday morning, and weds, thurs, and this morning (friday). so, i'm on day 4 of taking this stuff.

the side effects have been very unpleasant. from achiness to extreme fatigue, to anxiety of all things (i used to suffer from agoraphobia and panic disorder and i felt flickers of that old stuff - haven't had that since 2003/4.)

i guess my question is this: to medicate or not to medicate?? i feel like, for me, my depression wasn't THAT bad. yes, bad days here and there but not a bunch in a row. i'm still very medication resistant. i believe that it'll harm my body and/or mind in the long run - plus i hate the idea of having to be on something that's going to be a real pain to come off of when i want to go off the stuff. i've heard all the brutal stories of withdrawal. i don't want to go through that.

i know the decision is mine in the end but some outside objective opinions would be really great.

anyone out there tried this particular medication that could offer any of their experience on it?

thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Although we can not give medical advice here at SR I can share my experience with you.

I have been off and on medication to treat depression since I was in my early 20's. I also drank heavily from my mid 20's until the age of 35 when I got sober. What I have learned is that meds were considerably less effective or did not work at all when I was mixing them with alcohol. I also found that when I was actively drinking I was unable to get a proper diagnosis for my mental health issues.

In sobriety I was finally diagnosed as being BiPolar Type II, chronic anxiety, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Over the past 9 years I have been on a multitude of medications some have worked, some have not, some stopped working over a period of time. Recently my doctor started me on a new medication that has so far been a miracle drug for me, it has been like someone turned a light switch on for me. It is nice that all this time of trial and error has paid off. Unfortunately, with psych meds a lot of it is trial and error. A med that works great for one person may have little effect or a negative effect on another person.

I encourage you to hang in there, take the med as prescribed, communicate with your doctor about your concerns, side effects, etc... and most of all stop drinking. Drinking only compounds mental health issues and makes them harder to treat. Hope to hear that things are working out for you, please keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi namdm,

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First of all, I wouldn't give up on any medication after 4 days, especially an SSRI. It can take from anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks for you notice a change in your moods, and can take that long for some of the nastier side effects to wear off.

As far as to medicate or not medicate, I would say regardless of whether you're on meds or not, I think a person with any level of depression benefits greatly from talk therapy. I don't know if you have any resistance to that, but if you want to overcome your depression you have to work through it.

When I took Lexapro it worked well for awhile, about a year, and then it lost its effectiveness. Before that I was on Proazac. When I got on Effexor I knew that was the right one and I've been taking it for about 6 years and it has worked the longest and most effectively. So you may have to try a few different anti-depressants to find one that works best for you, so if after like two months on one drug, if you feel it's not helping or the side effects are too much to bear, switch to something else, with your doctor's supervision. It's kind of like finding the best soap brand you prefer, it takes trial and error. If you find none of the meds are helping you but talk therapy is, then maybe ditch the meds, but only do so with doctor supervision. NEVER just stop taking a medication for any reason unless your doctor says it's OK.

Two books I use that help me greatly with my depression are The Feeling Good Handbook (though you should spring for the less expensive Feeling Good workbook) by David D. Burns (who is, in general, opposed to using psych meds to treat depression and anxiety) and The Mindful Way Through Depression. Basically meds can help make you sane, but if you're not doing the work to change your thinking that leads to your depression, you're not likely to overcome your depression and/or be stuck on meds the rest of your life.

I'm not completely against psych meds and I don't believe all of them cause long-term damage to the brain or body. The fact is there haven't been enough legitimate studies to prove harmful effects of anti-depressants. Regardless, I know I may be on them the rest of my life. But if they help keep me sane, I don't care.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Clay pretty much said everything I was going to say, lol.

The medication thing is very much a game of trial and error at times. While you have only taken the Lexapro for 4 days, if you really feel the side effects are unbearable and you can't give it another few weeks, the best thing is to contact your doctor.

One medication they tried me on was Zoloft, and that was only about 1 week. I couldn't handle the side effects and the doc agreed it was best to not wait it out and changed it.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I take medications...

I am taking serequel (sp),100-200mg a night, lexapro 10mg, vikes for my pain, and than they started me on Zanax too. My depressions are terrible. I feel as if I am out of control and can't control myself. Recently I've been coming here a lot cause it gets me out of my head, which is where all of our mental crap comes from anyways. The best thearpy is to help another Alcoholic. of course take your meds they will probably have to adjust them. I go in next month to my Doc and she is going to have to do something cause suicide is a lot of my issues, with low self-worth.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

888kpancakes -

I suggest keeping a daily log to take with you to the doctor when you go bck to check in. I am thinking you've probably already got a 30 day appointment... when i was bouncing around the medication tornado, keeping a log of ups and downs was beneficial - I could just reference the info the doctor needed.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi 888pancakes,
My own experience; did not like Lexipro at all. I did stick with it for about three months and am now on one I do like. (witholding the name as that might tread closely to med advice) Also, remember that with all antidepressants you may have some side effects that go away after the first few days.

Hon, I hope you don't take offense, but if you are calling in sick to work, it is "that bad". I say this because even after getting into therapy I put off getting the level of help I really needed with both my depression and alcoholism by saying the same thing. I was always worried people would think I was overstating how bad I was, or being attention seeking or something. If it's keeping you from living your life, don't minimise it or wait for it to get worse. You can get better.
Best of luck to you.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
888kpancakes -

I suggest keeping a daily log to take with you to the doctor when you go bck to check in. I am thinking you've probably already got a 30 day appointment... when i was bouncing around the medication tornado, keeping a log of ups and downs was beneficial - I could just reference the info the doctor needed.
The log is an excellent idea! It was trial and error many years ago before we found something I could tolerate and that did help with the depression.

As has already been stated, it really takes 4 weeks for the benefits of the medication to kick in.

Lexapro didn't work for me. I didn't have side effects; it just didn't work.

I've been on Cymbalta now for about 2 years and am doing well.

I too was depressed for as long as I could remember. I self-medicated for years and years.

Like Clay, I may very well be on antidepressants the rest of my life. I'm okay with that.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi everyone,

wow! thanks to each of you for all the great feedback and tips.

i am actually journalling each night to track my mood and side effects etc., so that's good. i have decided to keep taking it until i next see my doctor which hopefully i will next week. as of yesterday the side effects already felt less intense (no panicky feelings and less fatigue). having nauseau right now though... ick.

ninsuna, thanks for your directness - no offense taken at all - in fact, that point really struck me. quite a good point! having to call in sick b/c of depression is indicative of some pretty serious depression i suppose - rather than the lighter, garden-variety type i feel like i'm trying to convince myself of having... so thank you.

and thanks to everyone else who responded. the other day i just felt really scared and alone - like i'm the only one in the world taking meds! it's great to hear about other people's experiences with it.

thanks again y'all!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found the first two weeks were the worst on side effects. Nausea and grogginess seemed to be the biggest ones on many of the meds for me.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you continue to do, okay?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The one thing my doc did say to me when i started my meds for anxiety was "the side effects unfortunately come first until the meds start to work" My side effects were bearable and I continued on. I haven't had a full blown panic attack in months! I'm glad I stuck with the meds. You might too. Just keep an eye on your body, you'll know what's best for you. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Just reading this I wanted to say for me, the meds that gave me the most side effects in the beginning seemed to work the best. Of course thats if they are bearable. A little groggyness and nausea for a few days may be worth the benefit you will get from the medication.

I too will probably have to take anti depressants forever. They don't make me happy... the way I describe it is they lift me from that hole of depression and get me on a level playing field with "normal" peopple who don't have chronic depression. And thats worth a million dollars to me.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sid

I appreciate the responses here as well. I just started on an anti-depression medicine two weeks ago. The first week didn't go real well, but I feel I have leveled off some in the last week. Still a bit of a rollercoaster, feeling somewhat normal at times, but also quite down at others. A lot of the down times I know comes during times of isolation.

In any event it his helpful having others share their experiences.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

im curious how you guys deal with the sexual side effects? ive been on numerous meds and the sexual SE were too much for me to handle. and yes ive tried the ones that dont cause them.