Notices

can medication avoid episodes?

Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can medication avoid episodes?

My husband has been diagnosed bipolar. He is also a recovering addict with a little over a year sober. He was taking his meds then slowly took himself off because he thought he was better, but at the same time he was very angry at the world or anything in his path. It only took a month and he realized he was getting depressed. He recently put himself back on and seems to be doing better. My question is.... if someone continues to take their medication can they avoid all episodes or does the medication just lessen the effects of the episodes? I hope that is understandable. Am I going to be living with these major ups and downs with him even with medication? Can we have a normal life together or will it always be up then down? I love you.....I don't love you...? I'm just trying to understand. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gonecrazy,

Welcome to the forum. People who suffer from mental illnesses such as BiPolar I believe are always vulnerable to to their illness. Medications can help reduce/relieve symptoms but are not a cure. Symptoms can re-occur if the person stops responding the medication, or sometimes the medication needs to be adjusted.

It's good he realized that he was having difficulties and went back on the medication. Many people don't.

As far as having a normal life, since I don't know what one is myself I can't answer that. A life where there is happiness, fulfillment, intimacy, is something to be strived for, but certainly there will be no life that doesnot have struggles, pain, or challenges. I understand what you mean by "normal" but it may be normal for you and your husband that he will to some extent have some up and down episodes. We all have those, but with bi-polars there is a more extreme nature involved.

I hope this helps. Keep posting.

Juls
Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for responding.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

I have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder and until I began taking my medication regularly, I had horrific mood swings. Two hospitalizations in the mid-90s and many, many difficulties in my professional life as well as in my familily life essentially proved to me that I had to take my medicine. Yes, there are times that I feel like I don't need it and that's when I need to look at my history and remember that, when off the medication, I was a madman.

Support your spouse, but support needs to be followed up with actions by him, IMHO. My wife, although we are now separated due to my relapsing to pot smoking and other addictions, was there for me. I wish I knew about these boards before...

K