Notices

Nightmares

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Nightmares

Gee, I just remember the one I had last night...one I actually yelled so I could wake up from.

Hannibal Lecter was after me. I never have nightmares like that. Usually my nightmares are subtle...but this one scared the crap out of me.

I think it's the Wellbutrin....and maybe the Celexa. Who knows? I've been on these both now for a couple of months...and during the last week I've been having vivid dreams. They're not too bad...except for this last one. I thought he was going to get me.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

last night i had a nightmare that there was some kind of laser-shooting robot head in the house, and it was making people disappear. i was hiding in the laundry room, terrified. everyone in my family disappeared. i ran outside, but i was immune to the robot laser, because apparently i was disappeared when i was a baby. everyone came back, but they were "changed" somehow by being on another planet when they disappeared. they had a new mindset. then i started to float.....

i must have been watching some crazy sci-fi or something recently

i notice i have crazy nightmares whenever i've been sleeping too much.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
OK, you two are freaking me out j/k But I did have a lot of nightmares as I was adjusting to EffexorXR. Usually they involved falling from heights or drinking.

Nothing changes if nothing changes, so how about making a change in your nightly routine that might bring a little peace into your sleep pattern? I try to steer clear of caffeine in the afternoon, if I have coffee at my AA meeting I'm almost guaranteed a restless night. I also burn incense in the house, dunno why but it relaxes me.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Took a nap this afternoon and I was somewhere in Europe on vacation with my family. It was very long and weird. I don't know what country I was supposed to be in.

Dang, if I could just realize I'm dreaming when I am I could have some really cool dreams.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Gee, I just remember the one I had last night...one I actually yelled so I could wake up from.

Hannibal Lecter was after me. I never have nightmares like that. Usually my nightmares are subtle...but this one scared the crap out of me.

I think it's the Wellbutrin....and maybe the Celexa. Who knows? I've been on these both now for a couple of months...and during the last week I've been having vivid dreams. They're not too bad...except for this last one. I thought he was going to get me.

Ever since i've been on Antidepressants and Anti-psychotics I have had vivd nightmares...not always really bad but they usually manage to wake me up at least 3 times a night ...means I have to take more diazepam grrrr

lol

hope yours don't continue to happen!! x
Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Even if I'm not having nightmares the dreams are vivid. Mostly my dreams are so weird it doesn't matter...but the ones that hit closer to reality can be bothersome.

Hopefully it settles down soon. Take it easy, RG.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faerie

Well I have a robot phobia [go on laugh I know it's funny] so yeah, I get nightmares about them a whole lot.

I've also been getting flashback nightmares about the assaults I've survived which are really disturbing but I know they are only a symptom of my PTSD and can't hurt me. I also know that with time they will go away.

Much Love to all my fellow dreamers,

Faerie xx
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

I love my nightmares/dreams, i'm prone to some vivid, surreal ones. I guess i'll post one, just 'cause I think they're interesting, in a really really weird way.

My latest "nightmare" went something like this:

For some reason, my friend (who I havn't been happy with lately...not that the details of when i'm awake matter so much...) came to my house and gave me three song birds, all light grey-blue and a "birdhouse" to keep them in. The birdhouse wasn't really an ordinary birdhouse, in fact, it was really unusual. It was really tall and narrow and you couldn't see inside it, it had flowers carved on the outside, it had maybe three levels in it, I put the birds in a doorway at the bottom. The word "contraption" came to mind more than birdhouse, like it was really a machine of some sort to keep the birds alive. I put the birds inside, not wanting to "offend" her by asking how the birds were going to stay alive. I guess she left the house and then the dream went on to the next few days/weeks. I kept forgetting about the birds because I couldn't see or hear them from the birdhouse. The dream ended when one of the birds died, how I knew about it if I couldn't see/hear them, I don't know. But the body was at the top level of the birdhouse. My dad was there for some reason, still evidently alive in dream-land, to take the body away. :/

Yeah, I know, my dreams are strange. Always have been.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
9/15/08

Just throwing this out there...

The nightmares may not be attributable to meds...may simply be symptoms of PAWS (?)
Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Even if I'm not having nightmares the dreams are vivid. Mostly my dreams are so weird it doesn't matter...but the ones that hit closer to reality can be bothersome.

Hopefully it settles down soon. Take it easy, RG.
Hi,

yeah mine aren't always nightmares but they are just so weird and so vivid that I actually think it's reality...i've actually pinched myself in my sleep before...

thanks though :-) you too x
Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

Originally Posted by Overman View Post

The nightmares may not be attributable to meds...may simply be symptoms of PAWS (?)
What is PAWS?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Overman View Post

It's been a sudden change and happened when my meds got a bump up.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Rancorous View Post
What is PAWS?
Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

Post?acute withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RockyGirl View Post
Hi,

yeah mine aren't always nightmares but they are just so weird and so vivid that I actually think it's reality...i've actually pinched myself in my sleep before...

thanks though :-) you too x
Most everyone thinks their dreams are reality when they're dreaming. The Maori people believe dreams are reality and our reality is a dream. I disagree, but it's an interesting notion. I experience most of my nightmares in my head during the day, so I guess there's not much to deal with at night. Could be the combination of meds I'm on too, but I haven't had a nightmare in years.

Bam, I would ask your therapist and psychiatrist if there's anything you can do about the nightmares. See if there's any meditation exercises you can do or supplements you can take. Or maybe they will fade on their own. One way to battle or control nightmares is to practice lucid dreaming. I do it almost every night. You just have to realize how absurd the dream is at some point and that you're dreaming and usually you can control the direction of the dream. Here is a tutorial on how to use lucid dreaming to control nightmares. I usually don't recommend Wikipedia, but its lucid dreaming page is pretty good with techniques.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've tried lucid dreaming, Clay. I can't. If I somehow figure out I'm dreaming I wake up. I envy people who can control their dreams...I'd have a lot of fun if I could do it.

Last night was another long and bad dream...funny after I woke up, though. At least Hannibal wasn't there.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too have been having really strange dreams lately. My meds havaen't been changed tho, so I don't know why they've been so weird. Have had a lot of dreams with people I know in real life, which is odd. Usually my dreams are populated with dream people, not 'real' people. But I've been waking up feeling very strange and the strange feelings last all day, making me feel like I'm in some sort of "other reality".

Odd thing is, I love to sleep. I'd sleep all day if I could. The ultimate escape. But when my dreams are so strange it's not an escape, but a trip into a weird reality, one I'd rather not visit.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Same about the real people, least.

There's one person who keeps popping up in my dreams...and I don't like it. Usually I'll dream about her out of the blue...she's rarely in my conscious thoughts. I consider her a toxic person and she has been out of my life for at least the last 5 years, so why the dreams now? I have low self-esteem and she took advantage of that. She was a very manipulative person. I have accepted the kind of person she is and have moved on...except for these dreams. I want her totally out of my life...having her in my dreams is too much. In these dreams she's doing much of the same BS she did before...be charming, manipulative, and mean. If I could lucid dream I'd tell her to f-off.