Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there that is or has been married to a Narcissist?

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am tring to find some support and info from people who have been or are married to a narcissist.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not married to one but both my youngest kids are that way. does that count?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Try this board: Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

I believe both NPD sufferers and family members post there. Check out the board index, there are tons of different forums, probably some for family support.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh yeah...I was married to one for about 10 months. Didn't take me long to get the heck out of there.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been married to one for 14 years and she is addicted to Vicodin, 10 + day habit. Everything gets turned into my fault and nothing is caused by her wreckless decisions. She will admit what she did was wrong if backed in the corner, but then try to justify it by either making up something I did or comparing it to something so petty it doesn't even compare. She has been cheating on me and then gets mad if a she thinks I am talking to someone else. She exaults herself above all others and believes that everyones faults are worse than hers. Nobody knows how to dress but her, and only she has a clue and everbody else is clueless. She kind of acts like she is Royalty. She was always like this, but not so sever that it was a huge problem when we married. Since she has been hooked on Vicodin, the natural need to lie to support her addiction mixed with her being narcisstic makes her out of control. I sympathize with anyone who has dealt with this.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
9/15/08

Almost everyone is a 'narcissist' to a degree. Especially addicts.

Many will tell you that subjugating one's ego and keeping it in check via humility is one of the key practices in remaining sober.

@ spit
NPD forum

LOL, I can't bear to read the posts there. I can only imagine 40-page threads about trivial issues like choosing an appropriate shirt color. Me, me, me...

Genuine narcissists think everyone around them is an idiot (if they aren't of some use), and that everyone else is the cause of their problems.