Notices

Chronic Fatigue, Depression In Disguise?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chronic Fatigue, Depression In Disguise?

I started feeling chronic fatigue before I stopped drinking. It doesn't matter what I eat, carb, protein, you name it, I want to curl up and take a nap. Nothing has made this change, including cutting out carbs, exercise, eating healthy, etc. The feeling I get is mostly heavy eyes, especially after eating. I thought after I quit drinking it would disappear but that is not the case. I've researched everything from hypoglycemia(common in alcoholics), candida albicans, and now I'm wondering if this is really depression in disguise? There is usually a forum for everything, but I have yet to run into alcoholics that feel this way. It is to the point of it being debilitating to a degree. Anybody have experiences or know of people that have gone through this?

Hill
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Hill.

You could see a doctor and get checked out...tell him/her what's going on. If the doctor doesn't find anything wrong with your physical health, get an appointment with a psychiatrist.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hill,

Please see the doctor. S/he is the best one to advise on this. You'll feel better just knowing what's going on with you.

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When my depression gets bad, all I want to do is sleep. Lately, I've basically done nothing much other than sleep.

For me, I also have epstein-barr, and the symptoms have come back, and one of them is sleeping all the time. I would go to a doctor and see if it is depression or a medical condition.

but, like I already said, when I am depressed, I only get out of bed to eat something, or use the bathroom. I can't keep my eyes open very long to do much more than that.

Laurie
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Hilltopper
I think the advice here is to go to your doctor (ask your friends for a good referral if you don't have one), I thought I was depressed recently and indeed I was but it was caused by an underactive thyroid, which is easliy treated. I think you will be much relieved to have yourself checked out, have blood test etc, you need to rule out all the possibilites and once a diagnosis is made getting effective treatment is a God send!! Good luck and take care of youself!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I, too, feel like my batteries have run very low. I sleep too much then feel bad about 'wasting' time sleeping. But if I force myself to stay awake when I want to sleep, I feel like I have a major case of jet lag. And B*tchiness! I do have hypothyroidism and take medicine for it. I don't know, depression could be a part of it. Sometimes I just worry that I have literally worn my body out, but that is probably anxiety.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fatigue can be a symptom of depression. Please get a complete mental and phyical checkup. I wish you well.:ghug
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It never hurts to see your doctor and rule out a host of other things that could be causing the fatigue. Not only have I suffered from clinical depression most of my life, but I also found out I had a low thyroid.