Notices

Question

Old 07-28-2003, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I was wondering what people here might like to see on the forum, or what things people think would be helpful. For instance things like daily quotes or a daily inspirational thought.

I'm going to make the post with the links to different mental health sites a sticky so it will always be the first post.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I would like to make this board as good as possible for us.

Humor is good too, although I'm not very good at jokes, anyone that is is welcome to post, although I think it needs to be fairly clean. LOL

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Juls,
I would love some daily quotes and affirmations! I will be glad to help, although most of the quotes I know are in French. I can probably find some good ones in English. Good idea and you can rely on me.

One of things we should also have is a movie club. One of the best medecin for depression are good films.

:shades:
Use adversity
Old 07-29-2003, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I have to agree with Lilya on the movie part! I couldn't live without my movie collection. It's almost an addiction in itself!
quotes are great too, I love to collect quotes. Maybe a gratitude thread too?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Lilya and 2Stop for the feedback. I agree that a movie thing would be really good. Also I love to read, so maybe we could have book suggestions too.

Lilya, I'd love your help with the daily affirmations or quotes. Sometimes I can't get on everyday because of work and family stuff. Also, although I'm very well read, I will have to go and look at authors, or people who I would want to quote to dig them out.

Some people are good at remembering things like that off the top of their head, but not me. LOL

There are also things called "homilies," that I like. I think they are based on what is known as "Mother Wit." Are you familiar. Oh, like one I remember goes "I don't believe it when fat means greasy," meaning if you have aslick (manipulative) type person trying to convince you of something it's most likely not true. Or "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater," and "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face." Not that any of those are applicable here. Just what comes to my not much of a mind. LOL

I already said I'm not good at jokes, but I hear they have a blast over at Recovery Follies,

I will start a gratitude thread and make it a sticky at the top o.k.?

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Hey Juls! How is your day going?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi 2Stop,

It's going pretty good, except that the air conditioning is out at my job, and won't be fixed until the twelve. Try doing facials with steam, waxing with hot wax, and massage in a hot room, when... your having hot flashes. I felt like I was going to pass out. LOL

Right now I'm just relaxing at home until my daughter comes home from school, then I'll go into "Mommy Mode."

How are things with you?

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Oh I hope that fix that a/c quicker than that! Bless your heart!

Well, I am doing pretty well..getting my confidence back. I am very excited about living my life and making my dreams come true.

I just fixed my kiddo's spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread, we're fixin to sit down for dinner.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yum,

Spaghetti and meatballs, a childhood favorite.

I'm glad to hear you are getting your confidence back. I'd love also to hear what your dreams are.

One of mine is to have my own spa, that I could run exactly the way I want to, that would give clients an affordable, luxiourious place to come to unwind, relax, and get really great treatments.

Maybe a sticky thread on what our hopes and dreams are would be good too.

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Wouldn't ya know I went and fixed the table all nice, had the food laid out and NOW THEY"RE NOT HUNGRY!!!!! Oh well.

I have so many things I dream of doing. For one I'd like to be a drug/alcohol counselor. Later I want to open a recovery house for women and their children, you know single moms or moms who have no one to watch the kiddo's, and make it a really really nice home for them, help them learn to live again. I am working on some screenplays I need to finish, and also some childrens books and some novels on everything from politics to psychological thrillers. I have been so disorganized though I have papers written from the basement to the attic, it's really insane how I write something and have it in various places around the house!! I used to be so organized, I'll get there again.
I also have always secretly wanted to fly a helicopter, and I have to climb a mountain someday.
Call me insane but I have been unreasonably drawn to the conflict between Israel and Palestine, this is silly I know but I often find myself sitting down and writing down ideas that might help both sides live a bit more civilized. And the starving and human abuses going on in Africa haunt me, would like to feed all those women and kids at least. I know I am probably a bit of a dreamer, but ya gotta have a dream before it can come true! I believe there is a solution for everything that is so wrong with this world, we're all just going to have to be crazy enough to do what's never been done before, you know..really think outside the box and Just Do It!. Okay, I'll stop now or I'll be writing til Christmas on all I want to do....
Old 07-29-2003, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

2Stop,

I really hear ya about helping out women in children, having a safe place where they can be, and work on their recovery. Ditto for the situations in other countries where there is so much poverty. I know this sounds odd, but often I feel guilty to enjoy the life I do when I know that there is so much suffering that goes on, especially for families that are barely able to put bread in their mouths. I don't think that there's any good reason for that. Especially considering that we're the country with the lowest population, but that uses most of the consumable goods. (Do I have that correct?)

I wish I had the talent for writing, I always thought it would be cool to have what they call a "ghost-writer" to help me write my life's story. I've also wanted to write childrens books. I have ideas but don't know how to go about it.

One idea would be a series of books based on some of the bedtime stories we tell our daughter. One is about the "Ice Cream Planet." Every night after all the children fall asleep, the Ice Cream Fairy, comes and picks out a special girl and boy to be the Ice Cream Princess and the Ice Cream Prince.

Then we make up different adventures for them to have. There is also the Vegetable Planet, The Grandma and Grandpa Planet, and a bunch of others. But the Ice Cream Planet is our favorite.

I don't think it's at all insane to think of solutions to the problems between Israel and Palestine.

This probably will make me sound like a simpleton, but at night when I'm outside and see my first star, I almost always do the little starlight, starbright thing, and wish for world peace.

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Doing the starlight, starbright thing does NOT make you a simpleton!(I do it too!) There is just something so magical about the stars, love em.
I think you do have a talent for writing, I think everyone does. To mean writing and communicating is something we all do and our style is a wonderful unique style of it's own!! I think so many times though when we sit down to write our doubts about our ability just freezes us up...Something I do when working on a children's book is I do some art or creativeness with it, I write the town name, draw a map of the place, put on colors that are delightful to look at..and name the streets and stores and characters, I love to write character profiles. Keep at it, you can do it. Just try to relax and have fun with it. I heard the excitement and passion in your post about those books...now find it within yourself and bring it out onto paper, have a lot of fun with it.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

2Stop,

Thank you for the encouragment. It's true about the freezing up thing. That's a great thing you mentioned about how you do some visuals to help you with the writing.

My husband and I are working on a story together, with me doing the writing and him doing the artwork. We are both artists, but he is very good at drawing characters and things like that.

Juls
Old 07-29-2003, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I can't wait to buy that book!!!!! A husband and wife masterpiece!!

My husband likes working on screenplays with me and we are always at odds about characters, the plot, the conflict, the ending..it is fun though!!~
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The quotes

Cozy girl talk. Mind if I but in?:p

I´m answering Juls question concerning the quotes. Sure, I will try to do as much as I can, but sometimes I might leave out a few days in between because of my work - and crazy family. LOL. I am a member of "Citations du monde" (Quotes of the world) and I´m trying to find another one in English. I have some wonderful ones in Italian as well from Dante. It´s a shame...I wish French and English were not so incompatible languages! I find it difficult to translate.

Anyway, I´ll do my best, Juls. Shall I start the thread or will you?

Here is one: "Honour the enemy, because he alone can teach us compassion and endurance." The Dalai Lama.
Use adversity
Old 07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Juls and 2stop - I was tickled to see that you two also say "Starlight Starbright." I still do it every night (that's not cloudy) and hope I never stop! It's good to stay attached to the magical part of life.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello out there!
I'm in the middle of a major depressive episode. Trying to keep
it simple. At least I brushed my teeth today. Having difficulty just getting out the door. Sometimes I feel like no one can help me but me. Frustration with my mental illness and lack of acceptance of it again. Appreciate any messages of hope.
The Wallgazer
Old 07-30-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wallgazer,

Welcome to the forum. I know that kind of depression, but it's good that you brushed your teeth. I remember when my one goal for the day would be to take a shower.

It will get better, but it does take time. Be gentle with yourself. When you can, add another thing to set a goal for. Now that the weather is nice, sitting outside is a good thing to do. Sunlight can help with depression. Of course not at high noon, so you don't get scorched, but maybe early or later in the day.

Keep coming back and talking here, that's good too. We have alot of good support here.

Juls
Old 07-30-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lilya,

I wil start a a sticky thread, and put your post there. Thank you.

Juls
Old 07-30-2003, 06:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wallgazer 1, warm welcome to you.

I´m sorry you´re struggling with a depressive episode. I know only too well how that feels. Like a strong, black current, ready to drown you. Did you know most people who struggle with depression give their depression a vision? Winston Churchill called it "The Black Dog" and used to suffer from it´s bites? I call it the black current or the black fog.

We depressives are in a world wide club no one wants to join, but at least you´re not alone. Know that this shall pass. Juls is right, try to stay in the sunshine .

Watch a good film if you are able to. Forget the black current for a while or just let it overtake you. Surrender for the moment. It´s actually a good trick, because you´ll feel better if you give up the struggle for awhile.

Are you on medication? I´m on "Citalopram" (Cipramil) and those drugs saved my life.

Best of luck,
Use adversity