Notices

Dual Diagnosis

Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
J24

Dual Diagnosis

Medication has changed my life. I want to say, emphatically: WATCH OUT FOR PEOPLE IN 12-STEP RECOVERY THAT SAY YOU SHOULDN'T TAKE MEDICATION! I was told one time that I would not "find God" on medication, so I went off, and nearly was driven to suicide. I love the Twelve Steps. I love recovery. I love God. I love the people in recovery. Even the ones that are misguided about medication. But I also suffer from a mental illness, and if I don't treat my mental illness, I am incapacitated as far as doing the work to maintain my recovery from alcoholism.

What many people don't understand is that Dual Diagnosis means that EACH diagnosis is a PRIMARY diagnosis. So, if you have alcoholism and bipolar disorder, like me, you must attack both problems equally. You must treat the bipolar disorder with medication, and perhaps therapy, and you must address the alcoholism with the Twelve Steps, or any other recovery program available. Alot of folks believe that if you treat the mental illness, the addiction/alcoholism will magically go away on its own. I think this is a very common misconception. Or, conversely, if the mentally ill individual stops drinking/using, his or her mental health will clear up on its own. This is also untrue, in my experience.

I wish they had a dual diagnosis meeting in my city. I struggle very much with issues related to my bipolar ups and downs, and feel very, very uncomfortable talking about that at meetings; yet, it's such a huge part of my life. I've had psychiatric hospitalizations IN SOBRIETY. I know others have as well. Anyways, that's enough preaching out of me!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

J24,

Thanks for sharing your ESH!
Dual diagnoses is real and very much misunderstood, as your post makes clear. Perhaps with more education, people will begin to learn and understand. Afterall, it wasn't that long ago, that alcoholism was considered a moral weakness instead of an illness; and mental illness was thought of as a product of neurotic mothering!
We can only hope, anyway. And continue to educate others, as you have done so finely.
Thank you for that!

Shalom!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

About the only thing I would add, however, is to watch out for *anyone* who says not to take meds! It really doesn't matter if they're in a 12 step program or not. Too many people like to think they can play doctor, just cuz they've been to one, or they've read an article!

Always listen to your doctor and to your own body. You and your doctor are partners in your health. Whatever anyone else has to say is their opinion only. And we *know* what they say about opinions, now, don't we?

Shalom!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Very well said! YOu both echo my sentiments exactly.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I only take medical advice from medical professionals. That has saved my rear in many instances. It also helps me that my sponsor is dual diagnosis too.

Do you have any Double Trouble (dual diagnosis) meetings in your area? I've heard that they can be helpful.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My AA home group has about 1/2 of our members
using Bi-Polar meds. It's often mentioned when sharing
and no one lifts an eyebrow. ..

One of my closest AA friends...sober 15 years...has been
helping newcomers deal with both their alcoholism and
Bi Polar issues. Now the women she sponsored earlier
are sponsorering and the circle widens....

While I am not Bi-Polar I do take other meds for
various health issues. I figure God wants me to
take advantage of whatever necessary to live
in comfort and joy.

I don't ask my doctors how to work my AA Steps
I don't ask my AA group how to use my medications.

That's the best advice I can share on this topic.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, Carol!
I don't ask my doctors how to work my AA Steps
I don't ask my AA group how to use my medications.
That's great advice! 8

Shalom!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
J24

Yes, so true. I once had a boyfriend who warned me not to go on any medication for my mental illness--he just thought that was bad news. Here's the laugh-out-loud: He was addicted to opiates at the time! Talk about denial.

I really like the point you made about people thinking alcoholism was a "moral weakness." I have many non-alcoholic friends, and have dated quite a few non-alcoholics, and it's amazing how many people still think this. Lots of folks just don't buy the disease theory.

I remember seeing an episode of "politically incorrect" with Bill Maher years ago on addiction. Helen Gurley-Brown was a guest, and she just stated that addicts need to take responsibility and control themselves. And the whole audience burst into applause. Scott Weiland was also a guest, along with Dr. Drew, and they were trying to explain how the disease works in the brain, and nobody was buying it. I remember feeling really bad for them. Hopefully this is changing, even if it takes time!

Best!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My rehab therapist told me I was borderline bi polar, is there such a thing, I was put on welbutrin and doesn't seem to be doing anything, should i see a professional who can diagnose, or is it just because I am an alcoholic that I am feeling this badly mentally
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our forum Pam08!

I would seek a second opinion as what your doctor may be calling borderline bi polar might actually be bi polar type II. It would be worth checking into. There is a lot of information in this forum about bi polar. You might try a search for bi polar type II. Shutterbug is a wealth of information as well. Take care and once again welcome.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
J24

This is great advice. I had no idea when I was initially diagnosed bipolar that there is actually a distinction between Bipolar I and Bipolar II. I went literally about three years before a doctor figured out that I was Bipolar I. I had a prolonged and very severe manic episode that resulted in a psychiatric hospitalization, and it was then that they figured it out. Many people are Bipolar II, though, which is often characterized by "Rapid Cycling."

Also, what I have learned is that a person can be Bipolar and NEVER have a manic episode. Isn't that amazing? So there are bipolar people who ride the low side of the illness. Conversely, there are people who are more prone to the high side of the illness.

A great, great, great resource for anybody--ANYBODY--who suffers from Bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, or anything of the sort is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. There are many, many chapters of this group around the country (United States). You can Google "DBSA" and, if you live in a moderately sized or larger city, chances are your city has a chapter. They run support groups that are EXTREMELY helpful and educational. Family members, friends, significant others, and support people are welcome at the meetings too. It has been a LIFESAVER for me.

You didn't say how long you'd been sober, Pam, but if you are in early sobriety, early sobriety can be real tough. Hang in there. Take care!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information, I am definitely going to check this out more. I feel nuts sometimes..I guess I feel like I am not normal. Funny, a friend told me I have it all, how much she would love to have my life..two wonderful grown children. a beautiful grand baby, a husband whom supports me financially and I do have my health, I can do anything physically. I sit and wonder why with all that I am a miserable drunk and feel so horrible. I am going to check out the bi polar stuff more and prob. should make an appt with a psychiatrist, to find out more about me...this flip flopping is a killer. thanks again for all the info., oh tis day 3 for me sober. quite a few relaspses, i try so hard to get my 30 day chip and blow it right before..this time I want to make it..this is wonderful I found this website.