Notices

To med or not to med?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To med or not to med?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on Lexapro and Klonopin for unipolar depression + a bunch of anxiety disorders. Doing very well with these meds, and ongoing sobriety has also helped a LOT. Historyteach was kind enough to point me in the right direction back in February when I was mulling going on Lexapro at all.

My main complaint these days is a lack of motivation, lethargy, apathy... I'm addressing this with therapy. My pdoc figures that some of these issues may be related to the Lexapro (the SSRI "I don't give a dam* syndrome) so we tried lowering the dose of both Lexa and the benzo, with little improvement.

So now she wants to add a small dose of Wellbutrin, which I've taken in the past with good results - no anxiety/insomnia, I felt more energetic etc. I have my doubts though, so she basically handed me the script and told me that it's up to me.

While I realize that meds help a lot of people (I know that many rely on them, and justifiably so) I'm not comfortable with the idea of adding more stuff to the cocktail unless absolutely necessary. Heck, at some point I want to get *off* meds if possible. I no longer feel disabled and, while the idea of extra energy sounds nice, I think I'll wait out another week before deciding. Maybe there's another alternative I haven't considered...

So thanks for bearing with me... Any input??
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Exercise and a B complex vitamin may be the ticket. Why not try that first for a few weeks and see how it works? Also, eating a healthy diet. Staying away from the junk and getting plenty of fruits and veggies, grains; lean protein and small amounts of healthy fats.
See the mayo clinic version of the diet pyriamid; it is much better for you than the government's version.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2000-av/pyramid1.jpg
Hope this helps!

Shalom!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The symptoms you're describing are listed as common side effects of Klonopin. I guess I'm not understanding why your doc didn't try weaning you off Klonopin entirely? It seems odd to be regularly taking an official "downer" and then get "down" side effects and add an "upper" to fix it. I am not suggesting you take yourself off Klonopin. (Had to add the disclaimer ) But seriously people become physically dependent and need to be weaned off carefully or there's a kickin withdrawal.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the feedback.

History, I do take a B complex, and my diet is pretty similar to the one you outlined. However, I guess that exercising more often would help.

SelfS., you're so right. I keep forgetting about the benzo fog :/ A few years ago, Klono literally saved my life (my panic and anxiety was so bad I could not leave the house). That's no longer the case.. My pdoc wants me to keep taking benzos for a while to consolidate my sobriety and to ensure the remission of the depression/anxiety. But I'll ask her about lowering my dose even more (I'm currently on 1mg, down from 3-4 mg).

I told her early on that one of my goals was to stop smoking. She did make it clear that she wanted me to quit smoking before the final taper (she's not ordering me around, LOL, I swear!). Hmmm... Maybe I SHOULD quit smoking. It's like the next logical step. I'm dreading it though.

Deer, I think you have the right attitude... In most cases, meds are a crutch. Very useful to address symptoms of depression, but therapy is the way to go if you want to be med-free in the long run.

Thanks again :ghug
Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Update

All this song and dance clearly shows that I don't want to take this stuff. No worries, I'm NOT going to quit everything cold turkey Far from it. But I'm certainly not going to add yet another drug to my cocktail, and... I'm willing to do whatever it takes to feel healthy and centered. I guess it's time to leap again, trusting that I'll be all right. Thanks for your insights
Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you've been able to clarify how you feel about this. I'm going through something similar, except I'm a little undermedicated (taking lower doses than I was when I was 100% functional in the past) and not doing so hot. I really, really hate that I need a higher dose. I'd rather not need the drugs at all. But as it is, I'm glad they exist.