Notices

famous last words " get over it "

Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think that everyone suffering from depression and anxiety has heard those things. Some of my favorites are "Just don't think about it" or "Just keep yourself busy" of course "it's all in your head" seems to always pop up. If you could just keep yourself busy and have the depression and anxiety magically go away wouldn't that be great!

I have found that it's almost impossible to relate how bad your feeling to someone who has never lived through it so I don't even bother. Some people tend to think that a severly depressed person is just lazy because they have no conception as to how debilitating these conditions can be. For those who think that it's all just a state of mind then please show me the switch so I can turn it off.

I don't think that most people are being cruel with their comments, I just think as others have stated they just don't have a clue.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm sooooo sorry I havn't replyed to all, thank you so much for your stories, It helps to know your not alone.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I think that everyone suffering from depression and anxiety has heard those things. Some of my favorites are "Just don't think about it" or "Just keep yourself busy" of course "it's all in your head" seems to always pop up. If you could just keep yourself busy and have the depression and anxiety magically go away wouldn't that be great!

I have found that it's almost impossible to relate how bad your feeling to someone who has never lived through it so I don't even bother. Some people tend to think that a severly depressed person is just lazy because they have no conception as to how debilitating these conditions can be. For those who think that it's all just a state of mind then please show me the switch so I can turn it off.

I don't think that most people are being cruel with their comments, I just think as others have stated they just don't have a clue.
I completely agree with this! I have had this said to me so many times in the past too.

My mum was a major ''just snap out of it'' person, until she too was diagnosed with depression due to her dibilitating illnesses of Chrons disease, arthritis, under active thyroid and on and on.

She finally understood that depression was more than just ''wallowing in self pity'' and could relate to me. It was a shame that it took that for her to begin to see things from my side.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

The 'just get over it' is thankfully less prevalent than in years past. Yet, our culture (at least in N. America) still has a 'go it alone' and 'just snap out of it' attitude that is prevalent in the media. This keeps lots of people out of therapy, especially those with substance abuse problems.
Oddly enough, many who have mild or short-term depression pursue medication more so than those with severe depression. I would guess that those who can still be assertive, who haven't descended too deeply, can still get out the door to the doctor. That is how prozac ended up on the front of Time magazine back in the 90's.
It takes some work, some goal-setting, some assertiveness to get into therapy, or at least a persistent friend. I know - it took until my mid-30's and several bouts of depression to finally open the phone book. Fortunately I lucked out with a great therapist (inexpensive too, she was still getting licensed and our sessions were reviewed by her supervisor).
Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Just a fool, swimming in love

Cool You left one out!

My personal fav: Quit feeling sorry for yourself!

I have 2 kinds of recovering friends, people who say If you're not happy, joyous and free, you're screwed up and people who say God has a plan for you, you are right where you are supposed to be, and then depending on how I feel, I choose who I'm going to hang out with.